Hi, I'm choosing between and traynor ycv50 blue which has el 34 tubes and the custom special 50 which has 5881. I really like the custom special 50 because of the features it has like switching between 50 and 15 watts, and the USA/Brittish switch. I play smashing pumpkins, rhcp, the stooges, ramones, hendrix, pink floyd, and metallica. Which amp would be better for me? Basically im looking for a marshally tone
Well if you're looking for a Marshall tone, chances are the EL-34s will be better for you (That's what most Marshalls use nowdays). 6L6s are more modern sounding tubes and are what's used in most hi-gain metal amps. They're good tubes though and it's really all preference, I've never played either amp so I couldn't comment on which is better for what you want.

Though I could be completely wrong with the voicings, since I've never played either, but just going by the tube types, the EL-34 one sounds like it'd be voiced closer to a Marshall.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 10, 2007,
The circuitry of an amp makes more difference than the tube type, so don't base your choice on that.
^I agree somewhat. Capacitors of different values in different spots along with transformer and speaker choice are at least as important if not more so, with the exception of simpler Class A designs (5 watters like the Epi.) Tube choice is an important part of the voicing of an amp. You should try out a bunch of amps.
This said I am a 6L6 kind of guy.
Im not sure dont have the book to look at but I think the el34 and 5881 are almost the same. Many times tubes will have different numbers because of different uses. Say a military application which would need more durability or less harminic distortion etc. The tubes you would use in high fi stereos is different than high gain guitar amps. So they get a different number. Its why there are so many 12ax types. I have never been a fan of the el34 series myself. My amp has the 6L6 it has a warmer tone the el34 more glassy. Marshall went with the el34 because they were at the time cheaper and easier to get. And now they are kinda stuck with them as it is their sound. But that is many peoples preference just as some like the sound of a fender.
Quote by Tackleberry
Im not sure dont have the book to look at but I think the el34 and 5881 are almost the same. Many times tubes will have different numbers because of different uses. Say a military application which would need more durability or less harminic distortion etc. The tubes you would use in high fi stereos is different than high gain guitar amps. So they get a different number. Its why there are so many 12ax types. I have never been a fan of the el34 series myself. My amp has the 6L6 it has a warmer tone the el34 more glassy. Marshall went with the el34 because they were at the time cheaper and easier to get. And now they are kinda stuck with them as it is their sound. But that is many peoples preference just as some like the sound of a fender.

5881s are a ruggedized version of a 6L6, not of EL34s...they are different. I built a couple amps and have A/B/Ced 58881s/6L6s/EL34s, they all sound slightly different, with the biggest deifference being btw the EL34s and the others. Like said perviously, if the TS wants a Marshally tone, go w/ the EL34s...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Like I said dont have my book to look at for all the numbers. To many to try to keep track of. I just remember reading the reason marshall went el34 vs what most others use was price. And that they werent the best choice in power tubes.
In my experience 5881's, EL-34's, and 6L6's all offered a completely different set of fine nuances to the tone of the amp. In my Decatone, the stock 5881's were closer to the 6L6's I have now as opposed to the EL-34's I tried at one point. The EL-34's sounded a bit brighter and were a bit punchier in my amp, though the 6L6's seem to offer more depth and harmonic clarity. The 5881's broke up sooner, yet remained crisp with the MV and Gain maxed out. I much prefer the 6L6's.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Last edited by Kendall at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by Roc8995
The circuitry of an amp makes more difference than the tube type, so don't base your choice on that.

Actually, all of the current Traynor YCV amps feature the same preamp circuitry, except for the smaller 15-20 watt amps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Kendall
In my experience 5881's, EL-34's, and 6L6's all offered a completely different set of fine nuances to the tone of the amp. In my Decatone, the stock 5881's were closer to the 6L6's I have now as opposed to the EL-34's I tried at one point. The EL-34's sounded a bit brighter and were a bit punchier in my amp, though the 6L6's seem to offer more depth and harmonic clarity. The 5881's broke up sooner, yet remained crisp with the MV and Gain maxed out. I much prefer the 6L6's.

Im sorry to go completely off track, but why are you strongly against 4x12 cabinets?
Diezel, Motherfucker
<--- reiterates the aforementioned "off track" apology

I see absolutely no practical reasoning behind the purchase of a 412. A properly ported 212 can offer (to the extent of my perception) every bit of the punch with a bit more clarity when compared to the beloved 412. That and 212's eventually save you thousands on chiropractor bills (maybe this is an exaggeration). There are other reasons, but those are best left to a "412 vs. 212" thread.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Tackleberry

They do the same thing, but it doesn't mean it's the same thing.

One is a tetrode, one is a pentode. One takes much more current to power than the other. They're even wired differently.

Whereas most 12AX7's are similar in construction, you can swap out a 12AT7 for a 12AX7, but not a 6L6 for an EL34 without flipping some kind of switch.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra