Alright. So, for christmas my parents didn't want to buy me a certain guitar that I'm currently completely obsessed with. So, i gave them the bright idea for them to instead, pay for the building of a guitar (by me). So... how much would it probably cost to BUILD a guitar?
that depends. generally you will not save money building a mid range guitar, even if you have a shop. $500 USD is probably a minimum for something respectable, not including tools and finishing supplies.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
Between a quality body (around $200 at least) neck (also at least $200) and parts (anywhere from $300 up for good stuff), plus time and labor, its around $700 for a bare basic build. High quality, nice looking musikraft and Warmoth parts, along with high end brand name parts can push it up around $1,000.
i'm talking about actualy building it, not lame-*ss... buying crap and putting it together.
Quote by Fryer Mike
i'm talking about actualy building it, not lame-*ss... buying crap and putting it together.

You're talking even more time in money for wood, materials, and the stuff to actually make it. And buying from Warmoth or what not is not lame. Not everyone has a wood shop or likes to risk screwing up on a block of wood they paid a lot of money for. That and it is extremely hard. If its your first time, I highly doubt you'll get it to come out right.
Quote by Fryer Mike

Meh, since this is your first time building a guitar (I would assume) I highly doubt you would be capable of building a guitar half as good as the original one you intended on buying. How is putting parts together "lame ass"? IMO, that would probably be your best bet.
Be cool.
okay, so what i'm REALLY asking is... will it cost over 820 bucks?

cause that's what the Ibanez costs
do you have all the tools?

if not then it probably will cost over that.

even if you do, a decently spec'd guitar will cost probably more than that.

Ibanez can mass produce these guitars and get a lower cost per unit than you can dream of.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Fryer Mike
so.. do you think i could convince my parents to get the ibanez?

Tell them that buying one would be cheaper.

I remember pricing a 24 fret, thru-neck guitar with OFR and seymour duncan pickups, for which I had the wood for the wings and all the tools necessary, and it still came to about £600 (about $1200US).

in the end I realised that it was a lost cause.

you shouldn't build a guitar to save money, you should build a guitar because you want to build a guitar because chances are you'll lose money and the quality won't be as good as the one you would have bought.

plus a first build rarely goes to plan unless you have a lot of woodworking experience.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
well
i'll tell them that. but...
i do have a fair amount of woodworking experience. Never the less, i'd rather just get the ibanez.
Just tell them that you're building one, and when they give you the money for it, you go and get that Ibanez and then tell your parents that it costs less than what they gave you
I feel stupid now, that's genius. But... i don't think they'd just give me 1000 bucks to spend on supplies for a guitar. And, it'd be a bit suspicious as to why there's no half built guitar in the shop, and how i made it soo damn fast.