My soldering iron has crapped the bed and I need a new one. I am using this battery powered thing my dad got me, but frankly put its a piece of garbage because its only 6 watts. So besides a 20 watt iron, is that really all I need? any good brands to look for?
Quote by aseme
Radioshack.

I know where to buy (a locla hardware store as Radioshack is pricey), just not quite what to buy (if it even matters).
Quote by aseme
Radioshack.

+1, ive got a couple of good ones from there, between 15 and 25 watts, try and get the pointy tip (for most guitar work) and the broad tip (big piles of solder for grounding) if you can
Radioshack has a kit availiable for about 10 bucks, I believe. It should have everything you need, the iron, the stand, a desoldering pump (I might add that it's not a very long lasting piece of technology), and solder.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
+1 on the radioshack, i picked up a 5 piece kit today which had the iron, stand, solder, some clamp, and this other thing that i didn't know what it did. The iron was 30 watts and it only cost $8.65
Quote by Will_Minus
Radioshack has a kit availiable for about 10 bucks, I believe. It should have everything you need, the iron, the stand, a desoldering pump (I might add that it's not a very long lasting piece of technology), and solder.

I ended up getting that kit and it works great. Thanks