Hiya guys, I was just wondering, is it absolutely necessary for a TBP pedal to use a 3PDT? (http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/images/dia2.gif) How about this one:

That way I can save on the switches (3pdt costs nearly twice as much as 2pdt), and you have a LED saying when the pedal is on (ie when it's bypassing, the green LED) or off (the signal is going through the effects, the red LED)
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
2pdt=dpdt. you will have a hard time finding someone call it a 2pdt
Quote by s.r.v.
2pdt=dpdt. you will have a hard time finding someone call it a 2pdt

I've seen it called a 2PDT switch plenty of times. Anyway, have a read of this article - true bypass and a LED with a DPDT.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by styxie
Hiya guys, I was just wondering, is it absolutely necessary for a TBP pedal to use a 3PDT? (http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/images/dia2.gif) How about this one:

That way I can save on the switches (3pdt costs nearly twice as much as 2pdt), and you have a LED saying when the pedal is on (ie when it's bypassing, the green LED) or off (the signal is going through the effects, the red LED)

Hi styxie,

I think that circuit is dreadful. Instead of leaving the input of the effect connected, it leaves the output connected. That will likely "suck tone" to the max.

Personally I believe unless you are dealing with a single pedal, true bypass isn't always a great solution anyway. It's much simpler and more effective to add a buffer in the beginning of the signal chain. A well designed buffer will sound the same whether the output is directly feeding an amp, or if dozens of pedal inputs are present, and not bypassed.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Hi styxie,

I think that circuit is dreadful. Instead of leaving the input of the effect connected, it leaves the output connected. That will likely "suck tone" to the max.

Personally I believe unless you are dealing with a single pedal, true bypass isn't always a great solution anyway. It's much simpler and more effective to add a buffer in the beginning of the signal chain. A well designed buffer will sound the same whether the output is directly feeding an amp, or if dozens of pedal inputs are present, and not bypassed.

And how would one do that? =)
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah