so i've been hearing that learning to tab by ear is important. right now how i've been trying is listening to a part of a song and then playing around on guitar until i hit the right note. now I'm pretty sure that's not the right way to do it, but how should I?
Start off with interval training, using something like the ear trainer at musictheory.net.

Then, try to transcribe songs, but instead of searching around for each note, just search for the first note/chord of the song. After that, try to do the rest by intervalic and harmonic recognition. That means you know what's being played before you try to replicate it on your own guitar.
oh i see. yeah i've done some ear training but i didn't go too far indepth. Still though, not every interval is going to be from root to something. Do I have to be familiar with every possible interval? Three to five, four to two, etc.
Well, there are only really 11 distinct intervals, so once you get those down you're off to a really great start. You'll get better as you practice, and although certain intervals are certainly more easily recognizable in certain contexts, you'll get it down eventually.

The intervalic distance between the third and fifth notes of the major scale and the distance between the second and fourth are the same - a minor third.

Slurgi
Quote by Slurgi
Well, there are only really 11 distinct intervals, so once you get those down you're off to a really great start. You'll get better as you practice, and although certain intervals are certainly more easily recognizable in certain contexts, you'll get it down eventually.

The intervalic distance between the third and fifth notes of the major scale and the distance between the second and fourth are the same - a minor third.

Slurgi

What makes it a minor third rather than a major, or anything else third? Isn't 1-3 a major third?

Does it depend on the starting note? Like 1-3 major, 2-4 minor, 3-5 minor, 4-6 major, 5-8 major, 6-1 minor, 7-2 diminished?
I love to play by ear. But when it comes to trying to sus a song out by ear thats when it gets hard. When i sus out a song i look at the way it should be played and some of it goes wrong. Is there any inet site to help train ur ear??