sorry if this is the wrong forum, haha.

does anyone know how to find vertical, horizontal, and slant asymptotes using a TI-84? any suggestions would be helpful. unless you say try google.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Just look for the x and y intercepts, those become your asymptotes, if you're doing reciprocal graphs.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
well, we're graphic circles, lines, parabolas, the whole shebang.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
What kind of equations? If they're just polynomials then you can look at the equation.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
i'd don't think theres really a way to have it tell you where parabolas are. You have to calculate them yourself
EDIT: meant asymptotes, not parabolas, oops
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Last edited by ironman45 at Oct 10, 2007,
dang. thanks!
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

It won't do it for you. Look at the graph and any deletions from the domain. any vertacle asymptotes will be obvious. As for horizontal and oblique, just gonna have to figure it out. Use the graph to check your answers though
The x and y intercepts aren't always your asymptotes...

The calculator has a way to find the x intercepts. Hit 2nd calc up there at the top and go to zero, then move the cursor to the left of the point where the graph appears to cross the x axis and hit enter, then move it to the right and hit enter, then put in somewhere in the middle and hit enter, and it will give you the x intercept.

For the y intercept just hit the Trace button and make X=0.

The asymptotes can be hard to do on the calculator, unless you know how to read the graphs. Just use the formulas!

Hope that helps.
for horizontal just go into the table and plug in values off to negative or positive infinity
Is it a TI-84 Plus, or just a TI-84?

The Plus, or the Plus Silver Edition come with a program called "Conics" which is pretty much what I used to smooth my way through my geometry class
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
no, i can play games on it though, thats all i did in math last year.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
i have a ti-89 so i don't know about your calculator but the horizontal asymptote is the limit of f(x) as x approaches infinity. i haven't taken this stuff in several years, but i think the vertical asymptote is present at the point where an x value makes the denominator of the function zero. so it's sort of like the x intercept that doesn't actually exist. the function exists at every value except where x makes the denominator zero. at this point is your vertical asymptote... so x=c where c makes your denominator zero.
Quote by deathbyawesome
no, i can play games on it though, thats all i did in math last year.

same here. That, and learning Norwegian

PuzzPack ftw!
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
^^ not necessarily though, jimtaka, theres such thing as just holes, basically the only way to tell the difference is to take the limit of the function as it gets closer and closer to the value from the right and left, if that makes any sense. If they go off to infinities, its an asymptote, if they go to a single value, its a hole.
Quote by Marrklarr
^^ not necessarily though, jimtaka, theres such thing as just holes, basically the only way to tell the difference is to take the limit of the function as it gets closer and closer to the value from the right and left, if that makes any sense. If they go off to infinities, its an asymptote, if they go to a single value, its a hole.

yeah that's right, i remember that now. you take the limit from both sides and one should approach negative infinity and the other positive infinity... and then you have an asymptote. i told you it has been several years!

so you find the value c such that the denominator of f(x) is zero. then you take the right hand and left-hand limits of f(x) as x approaches c. one will be positive infinity and the other negative infinity if there is a vertical asymptote. that correct now?
Quote by jimtaka
i have a ti-89 so i don't know about your calculator but the horizontal asymptote is the limit of f(x) as x approaches infinity. i haven't taken this stuff in several years, but i think the vertical asymptote is present at the point where an x value makes the denominator of the function zero. so it's sort of like the x intercept that doesn't actually exist. the function exists at every value except where x makes the denominator zero. at this point is your vertical asymptote... so x=c where c makes your denominator zero.

Yeah, this is pretty much correct. To find horizontal asymptotes take the limit as x approaches infinity and if the answer is a real number, that's your asymptote.

For vertical asymptotes take the limit as x approaches a (where a is a possible value of an asymptote, i.e. any value that makes the function undefined) and if you get an answer of positive or negative infinity then it's a vertical asymptote.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
EDIT:

haha i didn't realize how many people are willing to answer a algebra problem but not a guitar problem?

---------------------------------------------------

I would refer to all the ways posted above

My approaches
Horizontal:
Using table to find the y value that is being approached, like if when x is 2 y is 2.99998, and when x is 3, y is 2.9999993 then the asympotote is 3.

Vertical:
If you can't see it you are retarded, but if you aren't sure of the value, say you think its √3 you have 2 options
a. do 2nd trace (blue button) and then 1:value. Then type in the value you think the asymptote is.
b. refer to the table. If there is an a number in the x column but no number in the y column, the x value must be the value of the asympotote

Slant:
Take the denominator of your equation (the bottom of the fraction) There is your asymptote. If you want to be special you can plug that into your calc to check

Dude btw this is a guitar forum? Stop procrastinating and finish your hw, and then talk guitars
i answer guitar problems on an almost constant basis in the acoustic forum. with math, on the other hand, i'm slightly more rusty.