Do anybody know what is the difference between the woods?
for example:
Alder body
Basswood body
Mahogany body

I have no idea what does the kind of the wood effects..
I heared that basswood is not a very good one , correct me if I'm wrong..
Thanx
Use the search. This has been gone over a million times. As for basswood, its hit or miss. However, I will say you tend to see it paired with EMGs for a reason.
subtle difference in tone

out of the 3 alder gives a brighter tone
Mahogany gives the darkest of the three
And basswood sits i he middle, kinda like a jack of all trades but master of none (still good though)

They also affect your options for pickup upgrades as some pups are designed with the characteristics of certain tone woods in mine

thats about it really

btw the above post with its "basswood beginner" is complete rubbish, basswood is just as good as the other two it just gives a different tonal response
I don't know much about wood, but Basswood definetly is not 'beginner'. Ibanez RGs (including Prestiges) and JEM's are all Basswood.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Actually, if you want to think in those terms - alder is treble, basswood is mids, and mahogany is bass. None of this good, bad, beginner bullshit. And... I don't really ever see basswood paired with EMGs, so what's the reason?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Actually, if you want to think in those terms - alder is treble, basswood is mids, and mahogany is bass. None of this good, bad, beginner bullshit. And... I don't really ever see basswood paired with EMGs, so what's the reason?

Look at a fair amount of your ESP and LTD signature models; they have basswood and EMGs. I think its because basswood can be a muffled wood (I liked how sajuuk put it). EMGs are cutting, and also help to warm it up. Plus I think its just a good match (liked EMGs in my Charvel which is basswood, but EMGS aren't for me )
^^ Show me any LTDs made with EMGs and basswood? Because I can't think of any.

There's a reason you hardly ever see basswood with EMGs. EMGs are big on the highs by their nature, so you either want to play that card and put them in alder so they give you screaming tones, or you'd want to put them in the darkest body available so you could take advantage of the low impedance signal and the EMG gain for chugga-chugga style playing. Putting EMGs in basswood, while it might appeal to some, is a rather unversatile solution. You'll be getting a rather flat sound - treble and mids spike with indistinct bass response...
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
^^ Show me any LTDs made with EMGs and basswood? Because I can't think of any.

There's a reason you hardly ever see basswood with EMGs. EMGs are big on the highs by their nature, so you either want to play that card and put them in alder so they give you screaming tones, or you'd want to put them in the darkest body available so you could take advantage of the low impedance signal and the EMG gain for chugga-chugga style playing. Putting EMGs in basswood, while it might appeal to some, is a rather unversatile solution. You'll be getting a rather flat sound - treble and mids spike with indistinct bass response...

Meh, I thought the Kh602, and the equal JH had them. Personally, I think they sound great and basswood, but again, I don't like EMGs anymore as they aren't the best pickup for what I've come to play.
Quote by shrugs1434
hmm... so what about Swamp Ash and Poplar bodies? where to they fit in?
Ash bodies are very bright - tangibly brighter than alder. Poplar is very similar to alder, but it's lighter. It's pretty popular (get it, pop'lar?) in Canadian guitars, but I don't think it's too widespread in North America, so you won't see it in strats and so on.
Yep, there's a difference, but since it's wood it can vary greatly from one body to another. General rules of thumbs are:

Alder - Balanced sound and one of the classic Strat woods.
Ash - Brighter sounding than alder or poplar. There are a couple of types of ash but I don't know what the difference is between them.
Basswood - A little bit deeper sounding but it's softer and easier to damage. There's nothing wrong with it otherwise. I think a lot of the old MIJ Strats were made of this and some people really like them.
Mahogany - Warm sounding and the Les Paul body wood (usually capped with maple which is bright). It's also very heavy.
Poplar - Similar to alder.

Warmoth Direct has a great write-up on each type's strengths here: http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
Quote by pifty
Ash bodies are very bright - tangibly brighter than alder. Poplar is very similar to alder, but it's lighter. It's pretty popular (get it, pop'lar?) in Canadian guitars, but I don't think it's too widespread in North America, so you won't see it in strats and so on.

Jackson used to have them on their cheaper models, but you're right when you say you almost never see it today.
A number of companies used Poplar quite a bit during the '80s. I've noticed a lot of 80's Schecters and Carvins have Poplar bodies.