ok i have to transcript this song called sassy's blues by sarah vaughn
and ive never done it and im having so hard time transcripting it.
Can anyone who know this song give me the chord progression or
sometips?
I'm a proud owner of
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Buzz Saw sig w/ EMG 81/85
Squire crap
Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass
ESP/LTD TA-600 Tom Araya sig bass
Vox AD30VT
Fender Bassman 100
Line6 POD X3
Boss ME-50
Transcribing is very difficult. A lot of people come up with it quickly others (like myself) have to work very hard at it. I've never heard the song but always a good idea is to slow it down in WMP. It gives you more time to figure out the note if they pass by quickly. Other than that it's just practise. If this is on a deadline for an assignment or something, I would say keep working on it until you get it. Then, after the assignment is due (or whatever) keep at it. Don't stop, because the only way to get better is to do it a lot. Also check out this site: goodear.com
easy way to transcribe (usualy), unles you're dealing with french horn, clarinet, or sax i think..)
treble cleff to bass cleff:
take note as is, and move it down 2 spaces
i.e. if note is on a 'line' you move the note down to the next 'line'
if note is in a 'space' note moves down to the next 'space'
lamin's(sp?) terms... real quick... hope this helped

ooh, sorry read post wrong....
^^^^post above helps, audacity/garage band can slow down songs better than WMP (less popping/distort... is how i would discribe it... er am the only one who gets that?)
Last edited by King Of Suede at Oct 10, 2007,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Transcribing is very difficult. A lot of people come up with it quickly others (like myself) have to work very hard at it. I've never heard the song but always a good idea is to slow it down in WMP. It gives you more time to figure out the note if they pass by quickly. Other than that it's just practise. If this is on a deadline for an assignment or something, I would say keep working on it until you get it. Then, after the assignment is due (or whatever) keep at it. Don't stop, because the only way to get better is to do it a lot. Also check out this site: goodear.com

the site goodear.com redirects to some kind of weird site..

I dont have a perfect pitch and very very very weak relative pitch.
Also, bass in jazz is quite quiet so its very incredibly difficult and im
only 15 playing in high school jazz band.. (actually this one is vocal jazz -
singers and drums can do it ok, but bass(me) and piano are having hard time
figuring stuff out)
I'm a proud owner of
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Buzz Saw sig w/ EMG 81/85
Squire crap
Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass
ESP/LTD TA-600 Tom Araya sig bass
Vox AD30VT
Fender Bassman 100
Line6 POD X3
Boss ME-50
http://good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer sorry forgot the dash, those are so annoying. *koff*ultimate-guitar*koff* ANYWAY!

I can definitely relate to it being hard, I am also 15 in highschool and having a helluva time trying to transcribe. The only thing I can suggest is to keep trying. If you've been playing for any length of time your ear is probably better than you think, and you can probably find the notes a lot easier than you at first thought. Try and make and educated guess as to where the first note is. You should be fairly easily able to discern whether the note is right or wrong. At that point try and decide whether that note is above or below where you want to be. It's slow going but it's a starting point. I to this day don't know how people figure out chords so tell your pianist he's got no help form Balesy.
My guess is for chords is to see if you can find a rough guide to them in a real book, and use that to have a rough guide to what actually goes on in the recording. How its written in the real book is very rarely how it is ever played.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.