To be honest, I haven't actually had a chance to play any Corvette. I've held them, and they feel nice, and I have a huge interest in Warwick basses.

I know the best thing to do would be to play the bass myself, but I can't get to Guitar Center any time soon and I'd like some opinions.

I'm a little worried about investing in a passive bass because I mostly play Mudvayne, Metallica, and Rage Against The Machine. With a passive bass, I'm worried that I'm not going to be heard as well when playing with guitarists or my tone won't be aggressive enough.

Right now I have an Ibanez SRX300, which I love... but I'm looking to upgrade to a nicer bass before I move out of my house in less than a year. The thing is, I use the bass boost quite a bit and I'm growing more and more fond of active basses, but at the same time I REALLY am interested in Warwicks and I'm not going to afford one of their active basses anytime soon.

So would a passive Warwick still have that growl and punch I'm looking for? And if I was to just buy the Ash model, do you think it'd be worth it? Or should I look into a different manufacturer?
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
If you have the budget for a brand new passive Ash Corvette, a second hand active version is within your price range.

For corvettes, I prefer Ash. The Corvette is a large body and the weight of the bubinga will get tiresome after a while from experience of my friends. I think you should get at least the passive pickup/active preamp version. You can turn off the preamp which will give you that versitility.

So those are my two cents. Hope you see you soon in the Warwick family.
Well the problem is I can only really spend maybe about $850-$900. I'm not really into buying used stuff, but I guess I would if I found the right deal.

But now I'm a little confused. Which Corvettes have active preamps? I tried looking through their descriptions on Guitar Center and Musician's Friend (at least the Warwicks in my price range... or close to it) and none say anything about an active preamp. They all say passive pickups and passive electronics. I think I might be missing something?
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by watchingmefall
#1 Try before you buy, especially a Warwick (I own one)
#2 You can get an active corvette
#3 Warwicks can be ridiculously aggresive basses if you let them.
#4 Warwicks are not for everyone, read #1

I like the way you reply to threads.
In my opinion, I don't think a Warwick bass really lends itself to passive electronics. I think 'the Warwick sound' is very modern and owes much of itself to an active preamp. You lose a lot of detail in your tone without the active preamp. Really, you should swing for it. If you want a passive bass, get a Fender.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Are you looking for 4, 5, or 6 strings?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
4 strings.

As for Fenders, I love the feel of Jazz basses, but they're just not my thing. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'd want to buy one.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
If you could swing it, the extra money would definitely be worth it for an active warwick. Warwicks in general are beasts, but being active makes it a hundred times more aggressive (IMO).
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Warwicks with j p-ups are passive if the MEC logo is silver, active if gold.
Just in case that helps...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by fortysix&2
Warwicks with j p-ups are passive if the MEC logo is silver, active if gold.
Just in case that helps...

And they typically say 'Dynamic Range' in silver in the top left corner
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i have a warrick corvette standard passive, it rocks im glad i bought it, no regrets.

my opinion go for it, or buy the active version, but there is nothing wrong with versitivity of tones (providing you're amp is half decent)
Alright, thanks for the help. I'm not worried too much about the versatility... I'm more concerned about the aggressiveness of the sound.

Also, how would a B string sound with passive pick ups? I've heard that it might sound a bit poor. And can you buy active Corvettes with ash bodies? All the ones I've seen are bubinga.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by gywo copta
Alright, thanks for the help. I'm not worried too much about the versatility... I'm more concerned about the aggressiveness of the sound.

Also, how would a B string sound with passive pick ups? I've heard that it might sound a bit poor. And can you buy active Corvettes with ash bodies? All the ones I've seen are bubinga.

B string would sound better with active pups, as it can get an extra boost before hitting the amp. Don't worry about them. I've tried a fair few warwick 5 strings (see sig for exact one I want) and the B string has always been firm and punchy.

And the active preamp is not much more expensive, just ask your local shop to order one in for you to try to see the difference.

And they mostly come on bubinga models as bubinga comes with it as standard I believe (i.e. it is an option to remove it, rather than to have one installed, if you get me).

And bubinga is a fantastic wood. Don't let the weight put you off its (more awesome than ash) tone .
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yargh, man the crows nest, land ho!

YAAAAARGHHHH!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Those Warwicks growl like the cursing of a wounded pirate, and the more rum you have the more growling it becomes.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Well I'm looking at the ash model... it's like $850 for the 4 string. Isn't the active model close to $1300?
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Is used not an option?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by gywo copta
Well I'm looking at the ash model... it's like $850 for the 4 string. Isn't the active model close to $1300?

Yarrr it be nearing on the scarier side of things. Get yer crew and take over the shop's what i say.

YARGHHH

*drinks rum*
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Ye'll be needin' plenty of gold lad!

But I be ownin' an active ash Corvette, and it sings like a wench dosed on rum!

HUZZAH!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
yarrrr try before ye buy, that be a lot o' gold to be spending on a bass ye haven't even tried yet.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I'll definately try it.

I do have a question about active preamps though. If you don't use the bass or treble boost/cut what have you, would you get the general sound of a passive bass, or does the preamp do something more for the sound?
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
The preamp adds for 'kick' to the sound. However, corvettes with an active preamp have an active/passive switch (push pull pot on the volume pot) so you can be active or passive

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Well I'm still fascinated by Warwicks, but they honestly might be too much for me in terms of price, unless I can find the right used deal.

Would I be better off trying to find an active bass for around $700 (or maybe even a Rockbass, but I'm not a fan of lower-grade companies like that) or stick with a passive Corvette?
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Or, save the extra $100 or so for an active preamp (you can get ash actives) rather than rush and miss out.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Alright, how would I go about finding an ash active? All the online sites only have bubinga and the like. My local GC only stocks passive ash Corvettes and $$s... I just haven't seen them anywhere.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
I personally like the tone on the ash corvettes.
It's different to bubinga. but I wouldn't say it's worse.
Corvette $$ sound nice, but I'd rather have a jazzman...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.