Yeah. Just memorize the key that the mode is generated from.
C major - C D E F G A B C

Then you can generate the modes one my one just by moving your starting position within that key.

D Dorian - D E F G A B C D
E Phyrigian - E F G A B C D E
F lyidian - F G A B C D E F
G Mixolydian - G A B C D E F G
A Aeolian A B C D E F G A
B Locrian B C D E F G A B
So as long as you know the key you began in, its extremely easy to know its modes.

But if your talking about the names of the modes, they aren't all that important because outside of the major key the modes are labeled by different names.
Last edited by Windwaker at Oct 10, 2007,
The same way I memorized anything else on guitar...practice. I haven't found a better way than that.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
What i did was memorize the formulas and names... the same way you study. read it over and over, take notes, review notes, and 'test' myself.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
What i did was memorize the formulas and names... the same way you study. read it over and over, take notes, review notes, and 'test' myself.

+1

Well for the modes of the major scale, try this:

I Don't Play Latin Music Any Longer

Ionian Dorian Phrygian Lydian Mixolydian Aeolian Locrian

I didn't come up with it. Someone here (a long time ago) posted this in a similar thread and I took it up from there.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Use them
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums