I am primarily a bassist, and have a few nice bass amps, however I decided to play guitar through a real guitar amp, so when I bought my guitar, I decided to buy a 50+ watt amp with the guitar... With the deal it came down too, I had a choice between a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt, or a Crate 65w... I choose the Crate, simply because when testing the Spider III really hated the tone, and from the pre-set EQ the Crate distortion/clean channels sounded great... Did I make the right choice in choosing the smaller wattage amp? Or can the Spider III produce some good sounds if I took some time to mess with it's extremely complicated looking EQ?
LOL@COMPLEXEQ.

I have a spider III 75W. I'm not gonna go ahead and say it's the most kickass piece of machinery ever, but hell. it works. But dude, it's seriously WAY easy to work. It's a few knobs and a 4-way button.

And, unless you're gigging, 50W+ usually isn't exactly worth it. I've got a 75W amp and I never use more than 25W-30W max. I tweaked it up about halfway once, and only once. (It sounds like ass.)

I would have got a roland cube if I were you. I wish I did.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Your ear was right The line 6 spider range is known around here to be a piece of... well you know.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Line 6 = phail

No, you = phail, and spiders = phail. Flextone, Vetta and POD are good line 6 amp modellers that i can think of off the top of my head...

edit: @Ishiga - tbh i turned a cube 30 up about halfway yesterday and it also sounded nasty. well to me it did anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 11, 2007,
i have a spider and its fine
GuItArS
Epiphone Les PAul StandarD

AmPs
Line 6 Spider III 120

group http://

group join if u want Ug hockey fans
Quote by tba50333

There's someone in every thread that says this...

the sipder is not fine. there are so many better amps for the money....
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Masonpwiley
Line 6 = phail

No. Never tried the P.O.D have you?
the line 6 pod owns, i herd the new spider valve amps are decent

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
Quote by Stingz.
the line 6 pod owns, i herd the new spider valve amps are decent

I heard they suck balls
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by tba50333

I don't see how there is always one person who is always like, "I has a s1p3r and 1t is s0 br00tal!" or "ZOmg mah MG r00les!"

MG's and Spiders suck. You cannot get decent tone with them at all.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
GET THE CRATE!

I have one, they kick serious ass

Get It!!

Get It Now!!!
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by SG Man Forever
I don't see how there is always one person who is always like, "I has a s1p3r and 1t is s0 br00tal!" or "ZOmg mah MG r00les!"

MG's and Spiders suck. You cannot get decent tone with them at all.

yeah, there will always be people who like the tone (somehow) of these amps, who will try to tell others its a decent amp because they genuinely think it is. these people though, are invariably wrong, and you could get a much better amp than a spider for the price.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

the HD147 is a good amp too. they were just discontinued and you can find em for pretty cheap nowadays.

the pod isnt bad. but playing it through a NICE rig is silly. at a point, it's detrimental to your tone. but i will say it does good things for bad amps.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Its up to you, pick the tone/amp you like the most.

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Go to Guitar Gear and Accessories with this question.
As for which one, neither, they're both terrible.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
1. no not all line 6 suck.
2. the guy said that spiders are FINE, (for him) not that they are teh br00talz or whatnot. he owns one, so dont jump on him for posting. just post ur crap.
3. crate sounds better than the spider, imo. but neither are as reliable as the cube series.

4. TS if you like ur amp, then fine. if you dont and are still in the time frame where you can return it, maybe you should at least check out other amps.

oh and yeah, this doesnt go in EG.^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I own a crate flexwave 65w 1x12 and it's far above anything with the spider name on it. I actually liked it more than the roland cube and vox valvetronix lines.
I have a Spider III - 75 watt. (hey it was a gift. LOL)

Pros: Solid construction, built-in tuner that is really useful, nice speaker, lots of effects.

Cons: Tone is pretty thin - not a lot in the low end. Doesn't let any of the guitars character come through. Most of the presets are crap. You'll get a lot better results doing your own tweaking.

If I could go back, I probably would have exchanged it for a VOX, although I have heard of people sticking with the Spider because it allows you to layer more effects. So try one out if you are inclined, don't bother with 75 watts you won't need it. It's an okay practice amp that's fairly user friendly but you can find a lot better sounding amps for the money. As a noob it fits my needs, but once I approach intermediate skill I'll upgrade to a tube.
I have a spider II... I like it... it gives me the tone I'm looking for... AND ALL YOU BASHERS OUT THEIR DON'T KNOW HOW TO SET UP YOUR AMP!!!

now that said and done... to anwser your question, its really up to you if you liked it better then it is better... though your gear is only as good as you make it sound.
Well basically the Spider is crap and the Crate is worse. The Spider sounds very digital and is generally useless if turned above half. The Crate is just a bucket of fizz and is plain generally useless.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
I have a spider II... I like it... it gives me the tone I'm looking for... AND ALL YOU BASHERS OUT THEIR DON'T KNOW HOW TO SET UP YOUR AMP!!!

lol, nice try, but...

FAIL.

I can get a mediocre sound at best out of spiders, thats with lots and lots of tweaking, and i'm a sound engineer.

Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 11, 2007,
Weired cause I'm not the only one who likes my tone (using stock pick ups on a Jackson JS20)

Plus how do I fail when you can't prove that my tone isn't good.

So thus you fail my good sir (nie try)
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
Weired cause I'm not the only one who likes my tone (using stock pick ups on a Jackson JS20)

Plus how do I fail when you can't prove that my tone isn't good.

So thus you fail my good sir (nie try)

You were the one who said if someone can't get a spider sounding good it means they don't know how to use amps, thats why you fail. Whether it sounds good to you or others who like it is all personal taste, and has nothing to do with what i was saying.
alongside other amps within the price range, the quality of the sound that comes out is sub-par, but that doesn't mean nobody is going to like it.

Quote by Blompcube
You were the one who said if someone can't get a spider sounding good it means they don't know how to use amps, thats why you fail. Whether it sounds good to you or others who like it is all personal taste, and has nothing to do with what i was saying.
alongside other amps within the price range, the quality of the sound that comes out is sub-par, but that doesn't mean nobody is going to like it.

Ok... Next time make sure you make yourself clear... Otherwise you just sound like an ass

Oh and I still think your wrong.
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
Ok... Next time make sure you make yourself clear... Otherwise you just sound like an ass

If anyone sounds like an ass, you do, because you are calling a guy an ass who proved you wrong, and you like the way a Spider sounds.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Tapping_Ninja

yeah i was kinda in a hurry which is why i just wrote "fail"

I think that on this forum there's a few honest people who have tried line 6 spiders or previously owned them and disliked them, and the rest are just bandwagon jumping noobs who won't say that the spider has any good points. Its an acceptable practice/demo recording amp because it allows you to get a certain sound fast, for that purpose i quite liked it, but i'd never buy one because there are better options available within the price range.

The Crate will probably give a more straight-up, heavy tone. the Spider has the versatility and a little more volume.