I was searching Google for my Dad today, he asked me to see if I could find a 14-inch guitar/bass speaker ever made (because a guy at his work was talkin' about music and stuff and my dad is 99% positive, but he just was curious) and I ran across this.

http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/lessons/indiv/regan/piepanlab.html

Its meant for kids, but if I wound the coil enough, and used a big/strong enough magnet, could I make a cab with these? Just as a "Look what I can make". Im not even expecting a crap sound, but It was like, I have cardboard boxes around, so I could make a cab with that, or whatever. I dont have a job right now, and I get bored, and half the stuff I have laying around.

Also, anybody know if a mass-manufactured 14-inch guitar/bass speakers exist? Just for my Dad's info. We're both positive they don't.
About the 14 Incher: We both thought 15 right off the bat, but today, (again) he started talking about playing with Chuck Berry (dont ask) and he repeated 14 inch. He's totally lying about the Chuck Berry thing, so this is possible with the 14 inch speaker as well, but we thought we would search.

About the Pie Pan: The only problem I can see would be Ohms, I know you can push uphill with an Amp Head, but you can push downhill, so Sub_urban12, we would need to use a low Ohm-age amp head or find a way to make these speakers meet a normal Ohm measurement, which to me, seems like big magnets/big coils.

I need to get the wire and magnets, as I want to try with a bunch of different kinds, but I should have the rest soon. If you do do anything, Sub_urban12, post something up, or soundclips.
Hi Joe-White,

You can make one of those. Just don't expect it to sound any more "hi-fi" than this:

Or this:

I've never seen a 14" speaker, so I can't verify that they exist.

15", and 18", of course. I've even seen a 30".
(EV used to make one. They used it in a speaker system called "the Patrician".
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
LOL @ SomeoneLikeYou

I wasnt expecting much out of cardboard, pie pans and wire, but what can I say, I get super bored.

And if it doesnt sound 'hi-fi', I think I might like it even more, as I like that 'lo-fi' sound, its actually why I still record on to tape. My dad has an old reel-to-reel (sp?) that he said I can use, I just dont know where to get the tape disk things for it, or how to use it.
Quote by Masonpwiley
That would be better than the cardboard box + computer speakers cab.

Its where I got my inspiration with the cardboard cabinet.

I talked to my dad about the idea, and he asked me if I needed to be drug tested, and we all had a laugh.

But I asked him about the coil the plans call for, and I suggested that it needed to be so many wraps for it to read a certain Ohm reading, and he said it made sense hypothetically, and he said I could continue on if I want, but it'll probably end up being crap, or not working, then I just wasted time.

I think Im going to go forward with it as planned. Can any electricity/pickup guru help me out with the coil and readings and all that jazz? I know enough about electronics and stuff, but this seems like it would be a little more advanced than what Ive learned from trying to repair various broken electronics around the house.
The impedance of the system will probably be a little greater than the DC resistance, but I wouldn't worry about that. Just use DC resistance in designing the coil, and call it close enough.

You'll want enameled magnet wire. The enamel coating insulates the windings from each other so they don't short together. It's thin so the winding can be close together.
You'll need to dissolve the coating at the ends with strong solvent, so you can solder to the copper underneath. Practice doing this BEFORE you make the coil.

Select a size from the table in this link:

http://www.interfacebus.com/Copper_Wire_AWG_SIze.html

For instance: 100 ft of 28 gauge wire will give you a resistance of about 6.6 ohms.

If you're winding on a form that has a 1" diameter, the circumference is 3.14"

Divide the length (1200 inches) by the circumference (3.14 inches)

In this case, approximately 382 turns. It will actually come out to less than that, because the circumference increases as you wind the coil.

Make sure your form is a little larger in diameter than the magnet. If you make it too close, it will scrape, if not perfectly aligned. If you make it too much larger than the magnet, the field will be weaker, so you won't get as much movement for the same amount of current in the coil.

The more turns you have, the better, but at some point, the coil will get so large the outer windings will be so far away that the field will be weak. I would guess around 100 turns should be a reasonable target.

This won't be a very efficient speaker, and you will probably melt the coil if you put too much current through it. But it will make sound. You'll be able to say you made a speaker from scratch.

That should be enough to get you started.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You can always increase the resistance with an inline resistor. Obviously you will lose a little power but at least you can get the resistance up.