So I'm buying this guitar as a project, and I've only seen it in pictures like this one.

My first question is how would i change the strings on a guitar like this. At first I thought it was string thru, but the picture of the back of the guitar shows no holes... Any info on this would be helpful.

Secondly, any thoughts on what kind of pickup that might be would be helpful.

to me, it looks like a minihumbucker, but I'm not sure..

Mahalo for looking
My current ghetto setup:

Crate VC508 (Needs new speaker and pots BADLEY.)
Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
BBE Sonic Maximizer (rack)
Last edited by Thelastrilo at Oct 11, 2007,
Im not that big on Silvertone type guitars (I want one, I know that, I just dont know alot about them), but I bet thats a single coil, just bigger than usual. Somewhere between a Single and a P-90, still a single coil, but just the size being different.

Also, with astray bridges, they normally just cover a typical bridge. I know the one I put on my P-Bass has 2 screws on the side that you take off to change strings.

Just looked at the picture, and it appears as if its just like my P-Bass ashtray, and you just remove some screws.

Buy it, though, and fix it up. It'll be one of a kind.
I'd guess the ashtray covers some sort of metal block with grooves cut into it which the strings would just hook into, like on an Alembic or Dan Armstrong. If it's anything more complex, it'd be a total bitch having to unscrew that ashtray every time.
hey, that ashtray cover will lift up to reveal the holes in which you feed the strings. You don't have to take it off every time. I had one on my teisco but i took it off because it rattles quite a bit.
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
That tailpiece is the kind that's like a trem claw (you can see the winding of the strings). I have a guitar with one (made in '67) and that bridge is REALLY annoying. The claws hold back the balls of the strings. The pup looks like a mini-bucker. If it were stacked, I don't think it'd have offset slugs.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Oct 11, 2007,
That pickup is most likely a mini-humbucker.

To get off the strings, try taking the string off the post, and then wiggeling it around closer to the bridge so you can get a better sense of how it's attatched.
Will says:
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
^The thing is, he said "I'm buying", so I don't believe he's got it yet. Anything we guess at in here will remain uncertain until he's received it.
I didn't catch that part. Sugar.

Anyways, I'd put money on there being a groove/hook/little bar that holds the string.

If you can't figure it out, loosen all the strings and unscrew the 4 screws holding the tailpeice to see how the strings are held on.
Will says:
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club