Alright, before I begin, let me clear it out that I'm an absolute n00b when it comes to doing mods to a guitar and stuff. I mean, I don't even know how to solder (but I do know a thing or two about electronic parts and stuff), so you get the idea.

Anyways, I have a PRS SE Singlecut with a crappy volume control. I think the pot is weak or something because when I try to do volume swells, I get insane amounts of hiss until it turned to 10. So just a few days ago I figured I'd try to replace the volume pot myself. At the same time, I was thinking about trying to replace my bridge humbucker, not because I'm looking for any particular tone, but I just wanna get into doing these sorta simple mods to my gear. The pickup I was looking into was the DiMarzio Multibucker, and one reviewer in HC wrote that he replaced the tone pot of his guitar with some kinda pan pot to vary between the two coils of the pickup. I'd like to do this mod as well. Is it gonna be too much? Should I just stick to replacing my volume pot, considering the fact that I'm an absolute n00b at this? Oh and I one more question: if you remove the tone control of a guitar, are the pickups gonna sound like the way when you have the tone pot to 10? I know you guys will find that helping me here would be a pretty boring task, but in all honesty I'm sure you guys were at my stage some time.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Hey,

You probably should stick to changing just the volume pot for now. But before you replace it, make sure you're used to soldering, desoldering and know that to solder to the back of a pot you heat the whole pot (you need to be careful with this). Buy some simple electronics kits from radio shack or something.

And when you remove the tone pot it sounds a bit brighter than with the tone pot on full.

And dont worry about being a beginner, what your asking isnt a hassle
Alright, thanks. Could you tell me what kinda pot I should buy for the volume control? I mean of what resistance? Also, a list of materials required for the soldering part would be helpful too (along with some instructions! ).
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
As much as I hate doing this, but
BUMP!!!
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
500k Volume/A/Logarithmic.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Uh, "/A/Logarithmic"? (Oh darnit, I'm feeling SO stupid!)
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Quote by BassTalk
Uh, "/A/Logarithmic"? (Oh darnit, I'm feeling SO stupid!)

A or Logarithmic refers to the taper of the pot, which takes into account the way the human ear hears different volume levels.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
A PRS SE is an awful nice guitar to start out on. Do you have an old squire or somthing laying around?
it rly is. especially for the price. Personally, id say to get a 1K pot. more range that way. Make sure u kno what ur doing. especially on that PRS. Id buy the cheapest used or otherwise guitar and mod that out completely so u kno how to do more expensive guitars w/out ruining em.
Quote by qotsa1998
it rly is. especially for the price. Personally, id say to get a 1K pot. more range that way. Make sure u kno what ur doing. especially on that PRS. Id buy the cheapest used or otherwise guitar and mod that out completely so u kno how to do more expensive guitars w/out ruining em.

With a 1k pot, even though you have more range, you'd be getting a lot more treble than you normally do.

Generally the idea is that with single coils you should use a 250k pot, because it dampens the really sharp treble signals. Where as with humbuckers you use 500k pots because with the beefier signal you normally need those high's.