I don't know if this will evolve into a decent thread, but here's the situation:

You are a bassist. You own many different basses and amps and you gig on a regular basis. It's vacation time, and you have a wife and kids, but you can't live without bringing along one of your instruments. You have a stationwagon or a minivan, but with all the stuff you have to bring on the road trip (the kids NEED their stuff and the wife NEEDS to bring her stuff too), your rig takes last priority. Besides, you can't bring that massive 18" cabinet with you--it's vacation.

What do you bring for these occasions? What is the smallest possible rig you can bring that will appease the family and will satisfy your need to play during vacation, while everyone else is asleep or during those chance encounters where you meet a guitarist who wants to jam?

Acoustic Bass Guitar? Hah! I tried that once--the case itself took up half the cargo space. It might work, but what if you don't own one of these babies?

Here's what I have:

1. Electric bass--could be the Hofner 500/1 (only about 6 lbs and very compact) or the short-scale Fender Mustang. If allotted more room, I bring one of my fretless 5 string basses.
2. Cord--shoved in the bass case.
3. Pocket Rock-It Bass headphone amp and earbuds--small, noisy, but great for small hotel rooms while the rest of the family is sleeping. I have the "deluxe" one with the chorus setting. It's noisy, but not bad for fitting in the gig bag or the case.
4. Danelectro Nifty Seventy amp. Not technically a bass amp, but it works for coffeehouse gigs reasonably well. Compact and easy to tote too!
5. Zoom B2.1u stomp box--it's a rugged multi-effects processor for bass, has a "preset" drum machine that you can jam to, and it does a fine job. It's not noisy, and the tones are quite transparent and clear. I don't need to bring it, but it's a fun nice-to-have, especially if you tell the SO that you need to learn how to use it for the next gig--she/he might let it slide. This replaced the older Zoom 506 bass pedal that I had--it was cheap, versatile and noisy, but it worked fine for the price (you can get these for about $30 now on Craigslist).
6. Binder of chord charts for tunes--essential for practice.

I'd love to hear how you "streamline" your rig for these sorts of occasions. Yeah, it's a family vacation, so you aren't supposed to bring your instrument, but if you are really passionate (or obssessed) about music and musicianship (or if you need a diversion away from hanging out with your in-laws who talk endlessly about religion or opposing party politics), you GOTTA bring an instrument. What equipment do you bring on your family vacation?
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
i would take one acoustic guitar, for the quiet moments. vacation is about reminding your family, that they count as much as your music. all your toys will wait until you get back home. besides, if you get to sneek out to a local club, just use whatever set-up they have. i too, am obsessed with my music. one or two weeks of family time will pay-off in the long run. happy wife(and kids), happy life.
Wow, what a timely thread for me! I have to head off to a 5 day conference next week and I am sharing a small wagon with three other people, so space is a premium. Its pretty much the same on family vacations as well. Thankfully both situations, the people are pretty tolerant of me sneaking off here and there to practice or play. In the family situations, its not problematic, since there are musicians on both sides and most of the houses we visit have at least one guitarist in residence to jam with or borrow a instrument from, if I can't bring the bass along (say on a out of state visit involving a plane trip).

I usually try to bring the Ibanez in its soft case and nothing else. If its not a long vacation or trip, I can usually deal with playing without an amp for a few days. I do have a smaller Kustom amp that I could bring if needed with some headphones as well.
Last edited by anarkee at Oct 11, 2007,
I bring a guitalele, perfect for vacations in both sound & size. Not to mention weight, you can bring it anywhere without even knowing you're holding it.

Besides, as noted above, the music is less important. So don't bother that much. Just enjoy your time together.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Its a pirates life for me, ye scurvy dog. no holidays, delirium has thee acordian tho and keeps us merry with a hearty sea shanty and thee rum at night.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Aye lad. If we get plenty of loot, we can shove in in the hold!

Yar.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
argghhh all i be needing on me long voyages on the high seas is me good ol' acoustic and enough rum to tide me over till we next hit land
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
argghhh all i be needing on me long voyages on the high seas is me good ol' acoustic and enough rum to tide me over till we next hit land

Yarrr and I be accompanyin ye on me trusty accordion.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'd come on board with me tin whistle, but as all ye scurvy dogs know, 'tis bad luck to have a woman aboard a ship.
it be a shame, me lady.

be sure that upon next landing i shall be meeting ye in thee brothel.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i would take one acoustic guitar, for the quiet moments. vacation is about reminding your family, that they count as much as your music. all your toys will wait until you get back home. besides, if you get to sneek out to a local club, just use whatever set-up they have. i too, am obsessed with my music. one or two weeks of family time will pay-off in the long run. happy wife(and kids), happy life.

If Eye was touring all the time, the last thing id bring with me on my time off would be a bass. Like the man said above me, one acoustic guitar.
Quote by Jonnomainman
it be a shame, me lady.

be sure that upon next landing i shall be meeting ye in thee brothel.

But playing bass be keeping me out of them bars and off the streets!

Seriously, before we end up getting this thread closed, taking your instrument with you does have to balance a bit of family diplomacy and ability to adapt quickly in your traveling. I just lucky that from the family perspective, playing music is part of the family interaction, so there isn't that inherent conflict to deal with, just the logistics of getting a bass or guitar from here to there.

And I absolutely refuse to take an instrument on a plane. Had a bad experience there, and I am really gun shy to try again.
Lol this pirate thing is epic. How do I become a member, to whomever is the Captain? And to the TS, I'd bring my small Crate 12 watt combo, and my ESP. It's a rig you can throw around and beat up and it doesn't even feel it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Lol this pirate thing is epic. How do I become a member, to whomever is the Captain?

That be Capt. Jonno! argh...

Oh god we be starting yet another cult around here!
He should definitely start a UG Pirate Bassist group. I'd join in a heartbeat.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Plague, just talk in pirate talk me matey.

Sinan be cap'n.

good to have ye on the crew.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Ahoy! We bass playin' pirates should come up with a ship's name. It only be right to christen the ship before her voyage to fight the mod ship! Who's with me? I suggest "The Low End."
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

It's already been named ye Black *BUSH*.

Ye joined thee voyage a wee bit late!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
l0l m@t3yzZzZ i d0nt 3v3n pl@y b@55 but oh w311
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Argh, no one tells the poor n00bie pirate these things! And Chris, I'd delete that bloody post before the mod ship has you walk the plank, yarr!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

FuCk 3m luLzzZzZZ
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
This for me is the smallest decent rig conceivable for me:

Status Streamliner

Phil Jones Bass Briefcase

If you're made of money, I think it's worth a punt for something on the side that's compact.

When I did gigs in Europe, I just brought my EBS MultiBassII pre-amp DI. Small enough to put in a small bag. Had headphone out too, so just practised using that. For volume, I'd plug into PC speakers for practise or PA for gigs.