For Science we are studying sound and we have to make our own instrument i cant think of any. ah! Please give me some ideas and dont make them to hard
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
Make a guitar-like instrument from a tissue box (one of the long, shallow ones) and some elastic bands, perhaps? Or just fill a bottle with gravel.
Just take in your own guitar and say that you made it.

Quote by soulflyV
Cucumber flute?

Meat flute?
you could make a rain maker. just fill a tube with rice, or atleast i thought it was something like that
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones

Meat flute?

Meat flute! hahaha
You could make a rainmaker, as jaden 54 said. Just take a long cardboard tube and put in a few handfulls of uncooked rice. Its a pretty cool instrument to have fun with.
You can also take a cardboard box, make a hole near the centre, and use a few rubber bands of different lengths and thicknesses as strings. It would work, though ive never liked how these have sounded...
Theres also this instrument, im not sure how to make it. But you take this long plastic tube, which has its sides corrugated. When this is swung around, it makes sounds. You can modulate the sounds with changes in the speed of movement.
Hope it works out...have fun!
Quote by merabharatmahan
You could make a rainmaker, as jaden 54 said. Just take a long cardboard tube and put in a few handfulls of uncooked rice.

It needs nails in it to work.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones

Meat flute?

I believe the correct term is Skin Flute, but lulz ensued nonetheless.

EDIT:
Quote by M.O.P
how do i make a cucumber flute?

Hollow out the cucumber and make a few holes on the top for you to put your fingers on to change the pitch and just stick a mouthpeice of a clarinet or saxophone on one end.

Not exactly flute, but you know....
Last edited by soulflyV at Oct 11, 2007,
do the water glass xylophone.

get 8 glasses and a chromatic tuner and then tune them to a pentatonic scale or something

Quote by M.O.P
how do i make a cucumber flute?

GAH HA!! HILARIOUS,you drill a hole in the through the side and presto~ you've got your cumumber flute!
a blade of grass when held tightly between your hands ie put both thumbs parallel and together with the blade held taut between and blow, it may not sound pretty but then neither do the bagpipes.
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
whistle while clapping ur hands, thats 2 in 1!
or get a bottle with sum water in it and blow over the top of it.
Quote by bart munch
a blade of grass when held tightly between your hands ie put both thumbs parallel and together with the blade held taut between and blow, it may not sound pretty but then neither do the bagpipes.

+1 for the blade of grass. Requires minimal effort and can be quite loud.
...Bleep Bloop...
I'm actually pretty good in sound design.
So, I might be able to help you some.
Remember that there are different categories for instruments.

Pianos, Harpsichord,Organ.
Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Electric Bass, Acoustic Bass, Double Bass.
Trumpets, Baritones, French Horn, Tuba, etc.
Saxaphone, Clarinet, Oboe, etc.
Vibraphone, Glockenspeil. Etc
Violins, Violas, Cellos, etc.

Read on wikipedia all about these instruments and know how they make sound.

And always remember, any sound can be created, with a sine wave, and the theory of additive synthesis.
Now, when your aiming for a sound, remember the dynamics, alright, plucked, virbirto all that stuff.

There are also ways of giving a charactor to a sound, like, a snare drum that is "tight, or bright" etc.

Or a violin that is warm, etc.

to give these sounds there charactor you must understand the sonic spectrum, which can be viewed in an equalizer

Bright is about 3-10KHZ dominated
Edgy is about 3-7khz dominated
if can make it sound thin by cutting at 300 hz
and if you want it warm make a wide/small cut at about 2 khz

how many db you actually remove is important, for the warm, no more then 3.,5, for the bright, i feel it can go up to a 6 db boost but i have sharp ears so yeah, Edgy is about 4.5ish.

I advise that you monitor your instrument your making it because he's probably going to make it count.

If I were you, I'd create a drum.
build a bass!
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
If I were you I'd find a new way to make sound. Just me though, I'm into this kind of stuff big time.
anyone ever used to watch Men In White?

i'm thinking of that drumming machine..
DANK MEMES
diddley-bo!!!! just a one string slide guitar basically, all you need is a 2X4 and some nails and a slide.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Hold two spoons lightly together in one hand....hit them against the palm of ones other hand. For increased speed, hit faster.
Gutbucket Bass, Google it.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.