Hello. I was needing a suggestion on which acoustic guitar to buy.
I recently won $150 on a website in a sweepstakes contest and decided to use that cash for a much needed new acoustic guitar.

I already have a very nice electric guitar but my acoustic guitar (Epiphone AJ-1)
that I bought from a pawn shop around the time I started learning how to play is
more of a pain in the ass than it is enjoyable.

I mean it's a pretty good guitar with a good sound but it's almost impossible
to do any barre chords without the strings buzzing or muting. I know it's not my
fingering because I can do it absolutely fine on my electric. I can do it on the acoustic
also but you have to have a massive hulk like grip that causes your hand mass pain.

Any responses are appreciated.
Yamaha is a good brand to look at in that price range. This is decent, but if you save up another $50 you can this, which has a solid top.
Quote by teegee420
Yamaha is a good brand to look at in that price range. This is decent, but if you save up another $50 you can this, which has a solid top.

I don't know a whole lot about guitars. I just play them pretty much, I don't know the technical aspects of them really. So I ask what is so good about a solid top? Just quality?
You can first help us by telling where you won the 150 dollars.
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
you should get an indiana. ive had mine for nine years and only had to replace two strings. make sure you get one with a cutaway, or else you wont be able to hit your high frets very easily
INDIANA ACOUSTICS, FENDER BASS, GIBSON ELECTRIC AND RYTHMM
Quote by faustarp
I don't know a whole lot about guitars. I just play them pretty much, I don't know the technical aspects of them really. So I ask what is so good about a solid top? Just quality?
If the top is not solid, it's multi-ply, i.e. plywood. A solid piece of wood will resonate better than plywood, therefore it will have a fuller and more organic sound. By the way, you can tell if the top is solid by inspecting the edge of the sound hole. You can usually spot layers of plywood fairly easily. In the end, though, go with what sounds best to you. I suppose it's possible to have a guitar with a poor quality solid top that sounds worse than a plywood-topped guitar. Be sure and buy something that you can play before you commit. Anyhow, good luck. Be sure and post what you end up getting.
Last edited by teegee420 at Oct 11, 2007,
yes. go with one of those. they are some of the best quality acoustic guitars in the world. as long as you take care of them, they will last you for a long time
INDIANA ACOUSTICS, FENDER BASS, GIBSON ELECTRIC AND RYTHMM
^ You're going to listen to someone who has only replaced two strings on his guitar in 9 years?

I'm sure he's an advocate of good tone from an acoustic.

Teegee's got the gospel here. That Yamaha is the best deal you are going to find for the price. Those Indiana guitars are pieces of crap, judging from their specs.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
get a Mitchell
a solid top one goes for around 150
its a guitar center brand so its not going to be as known

but it sounds amazing for 150
^ I'm going to be honest. I played a Mitchell 12-string when I was looking at buying one. To me, it was well worth the extra $50 to buy the Washburn D10S 12-string, and definitely worth the extra cash for the Yamaha FG720. Its a solid-top, but it doesn't really compare IMO.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Again... The Yamaha FG700S will pretty much walk all over everything else that costs the same (in plenty of cases it's better than guitars worth more). Its cheap (the cheapest I would go for an acoustic guitar) and is actually good... very good value... And as said, the Indiana's look crap straight away on paper.
And string changes means nothing on a guitar, it reflects playing style and the strings you use... but changing strings is a necessity, otherwise any guitar will just sound bad!
I've been playing Indiana brand guitars on and off stage for over 4 years now (various models, including their 12 string).

The things play like a dream. Don't let the price, or others that have never laid there hands on one fool you.

Their quality control is 2nd to none, and they play like an instrument that go got at least 2x their cost.
Quote by theGuitarmanII
I've been playing Indiana brand guitars on and off stage for over 4 years now (various models, including their 12 string).

The things play like a dream. Don't let the price, or others that have never laid there hands on one fool you.

Their quality control is 2nd to none, and they play like an instrument that go got at least 2x their cost.

Its a laminate top on the one listed.....enough said. Go with a solid top, trust me, you WANT a solid top. Don't listen to the crazies that say otherwise
WHY DO PEOPLE BOTHER BUYING CHEAP GUITARS?! If someone can explain to me what the hell is up with this please do! If you saved up your money for 1 more year to get an OUTSTANDING acoustic do it because then you wont be pissed with a P.O.S. Guitar that you feel like you wasted money on 3 years later.
Relax bro.
Sometimes its not an option to spend a lot of money on a guitar or to save up or whatever
Quote by johnos
Relax bro.
Sometimes its not an option to spend a lot of money on a guitar or to save up or whatever

Most rediculous thing ive ever heard. "Saving up isnt an option" Since when isnt it an option?
Quote by easthatred
Most rediculous thing ive ever heard. "Saving up isn't an option" Since when isn't it an option?
Use your imagination. How about if you're a kid that can't get a job? This wasn't a problem 20 years ago. I had a job at 13. Times have changed. How about if you're an adult with a family to support? Kind of hard to stock away money at the expense of your loved ones. The point is that not everyone has a constant stream of disposable income. Maybe you've never had to worry about money. Good for you if that's the case, though I doubt it.
Quote by teegee420
Use your imagination. How about if you're a kid that can't get a job? This wasn't a problem 20 years ago. I had a job at 13. Times have changed. How about if you're an adult with a family to support? Kind of hard to stock away money at the expense of your loved ones. The point is that not everyone has a constant stream of disposable income. Maybe you've never had to worry about money. Good for you if that's the case, though I doubt it.

Not what I mean bro. Save up little by little. Dont do some things that you normally do. My friend Aaron smoked like 2 packs a day. He wanted a new guitar and he has bills to pay i was like "Dude, stop smoking you will have more for all the stuff you need then save little by little for a guitar. Even if its just 20$ a month its totally worth it.
Quote by easthatred
Not what I mean bro. Save up little by little. Dont do some things that you normally do. My friend Aaron smoked like 2 packs a day. He wanted a new guitar and he has bills to pay i was like "Dude, stop smoking you will have more for all the stuff you need then save little by little for a guitar. Even if its just 20$ a month its totally worth it.

There's a great deal of wisdom in what you're saying. The problem is that we live in a world of instant gratification. After significant problems with home foreclosures, the credit crunch and multi-trillion dollar government deficits, Americans are just now being slowly re-introduced to the concept of fiscal discipline. It's been somewhat laborious for me as well. I've been saving for a nice Martin. I'm probably 3-4 months away from my goal, and in the meantime it's hard to not raid my savings.
Quote by teegee420
There's a great deal of wisdom in what you're saying. The problem is that we live in a world of instant gratification. After significant problems with home foreclosures, the credit crunch and multi-trillion dollar government deficits, Americans are just now being slowly re-introduced to the concept of fiscal discipline. It's been somewhat laborious for me as well. I've been saving for a nice Martin. I'm probably 3-4 months away from my goal, and in the meantime it's hard to not raid my savings.

Save up bro! GL with it too. I hope you the best!
Quote by easthatred
Save up bro! GL with it too. I hope you the best!

Much appreciated. I'll try to keep my eye on the prize.
Hi..haven't waded through all replies but there's prob loads of good advice...one thing that caught my eye though...please don't wait to change strings for 9 years ....that is a crime...if you play a lot change every few weeks or as a minimum every few months.
also hi to teegee......keep saving for the martin as it will be worth the wait...recommend a D18 but if you want to go lower than that I used to have a dx1 and would recommend too....will never get rid of my 20 year old yamaha though!
Quote by geejammer
also hi to teegee......keep saving for the martin as it will be worth the wait...recommend a D18 but if you want to go lower than that I used to have a dx1 and would recommend too....will never get rid of my 20 year old yamaha though!
Hey, there. I'm actually looking at a second-hand D-28. Have you played any of those? If so, how well would you say it compares to the D-18?
Hi...I haven't played the D 28 but they have a rosewood back and sides as opposed to the cheaper mahogany on the D18. The D28 has a fuller deeper sound as a result while the D18 is twangier. If you get a good price on the D28 I don't think you could go wrong with that either and second hand it will be sound better than straight out of the shop. If you do buy try using DR strings (recommended by Hugh manson when I bought the D18 which was also second hand).
Quote by geejammer
Hi...I haven't played the D 28 but they have a rosewood back and sides as opposed to the cheaper mahogany on the D18. The D28 has a fuller deeper sound as a result while the D18 is twangier. If you get a good price on the D28 I don't think you could go wrong with that either and second hand it will be sound better than straight out of the shop. If you do buy try using DR strings (recommended by Hugh manson when I bought the D18 which was also second hand).
Good to know, thanks. Sorry for threadjacking, thread starter.
For what it's worth, I bought an Indiana Scout simply because I wasn't sure I was going to do much with it. If I was going to waste money, I didn't want it to be a lot of money. It turns out that I happened to enjoy playing. It holds its tune well, although it seems almost brassy compared to others guitars. I am glad I bought one, though.

I happened to play someone's classical and realized there are better guitars for me and my big pudgy fingers.

So, now I'm willing to spend a little bit more, which is why I'm here. I plan to either trade in or sell depending on the deal I get...
Quote by easthatred
WHY DO PEOPLE BOTHER BUYING CHEAP GUITARS?! If someone can explain to me what the hell is up with this please do! If you saved up your money for 1 more year to get an OUTSTANDING acoustic do it because then you wont be pissed with a P.O.S. Guitar that you feel like you wasted money on 3 years later.

I never played guitar, I wanted to play a guitar, I didn't have a lot of money. I went though with a Yamaha F335 and I was satisfied. Its a good guitar. Now, after playing for a while, I'm feeling like it would be better to get a Yamaha FG730S or Seagull S6. But I do agree, its best for your second guitar to be better than a laminate.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Bump in the night
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Quote by knightridr
For what it's worth, I bought an Indiana Scout simply because I wasn't sure I was going to do much with it. If I was going to waste money, I didn't want it to be a lot of money. It turns out that I happened to enjoy playing. It holds its tune well, although it seems almost brassy compared to others guitars. I am glad I bought one, though.

I happened to play someone's classical and realized there are better guitars for me and my big pudgy fingers.

So, now I'm willing to spend a little bit more, which is why I'm here. I plan to either trade in or sell depending on the deal I get...

Hey, watch your dates man, this thread is nearly 3 years old. necro bumps will get you a warning.
Quote by LeftyDave
Hey, watch your dates man, this thread is nearly 3 years old. necro bumps will get you a warning.

Woah! I didn't even notice! It was high up on the forum page so I figured it was recent. I think this is the oldest thread I've ever posted in now x_X
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
as it is your second guitar, go for the extra money to get the Yamaha

dude, how much did you play iwon? should i try it?
Last edited by rickyho at Apr 5, 2010,
Quote by rickyho
as it is your second guitar, go for the extra money to get the Yamaha

dude, how much did you play iwon? should i try it?

Old thread is old, stop posting in it already!

*Reported*
Wow. this is so old that Johnos AND crystalh are still in it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.