I'm wondering if I could get some suggestions or insight about a new guitar. I've played many over the years but find the Les Paul body/shape/feel/look to be my most preferred.

I'm looking to try and find something similar to this but of better quality. One guitar I've found that I quite like is the ESP LTD EC-500S. (I have seen the Eclipse-II and EC-1000 series guitars but, picky as I am, I dislike gold in any form.)

Could anyone who has happened to play these guitars give me any comments on the quality of the build/sound? Or perhaps you know of other LP-esque guitars I could have a gander at?

Cheers.
404: Sig not found.
There's the EC-1000 VHB, it doesn't have any gold or that silly abalone binding. I think it looks tons better than the EC-500S. I played it briefly unplugged, it was very nice.

I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Last edited by Chips- at Oct 11, 2007,
Now don't dismiss this seemingly strange suggestion immediately...

In the late 80s, down South, a pub band (If 6 Was 9) I used to watch had just about the best lead guitarist and sound you could hope for. He had a Marshall stack and a gorgeous looking and sounding guitar - he had been playing since very early seventies and had been around a bit. And his guitar of choice was an... Aria. It was/is an LP-style Aria and I have tried to look for once since but havent found one yet. It played and felt gorgeous and sounded a treat.

So there's a suggestion - don't discount that just because its 'lower down the ladder' than an actual LP.
I also like several of the ESP Eclipse models. They seem lighter and more playable than the Les Pauls.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
I have an ec-300 all black and ive gotten say its a really good feeling guitar even for a painted neck. Ive put it through the mill (Ive dropped it a couple of times, and all thats happened is a couple scratches in the paint) It is a really good made guitar it feels like a much more expensive guitar than it is and plays extremely well, I use thick thick gauge strings .13-.64 and for a while tuned them to standard tuning and the neck didnt even bend.
I totally recommend this guitar. The neck is quick but not as quick as a jackson or an ibanez.
Trysome of the Japanese copies. Burny (by Fernandes), Orville (by Gibson), Grassroots (by ESP), Tokai,etc. A number of them. Really good quality stuff too.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Thanks for some of the suggestions guys.

I just took a look through the Aria site. I really wouldn't have thought of them at all but my gawd, some of them look nice! I'm especially liking this one.

I did think about stepping up to a Gibson but I've always been using Gibson/Epiphone and I'm trying to branch out; see if there's anything better I hadn't considered before.

I have checked out the EC-1000's and they seem great guitars. Like I say though, I'm kinda picky about what some people might consider silly things. I really dislike colourful/flashy finishes; especially sunburst.

Just checking out some of the others suggested.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by METAL MILITIA1
Gibson les paul studio?
If you want tone like an SG instead of an actual LP, a horrible neck/body balance and all the playability of a live trout, then yes, the Studio is the way to go.

Getting past that, for LP copies that are worth bothering with, I suggest just trying as many of ESP's copies as you can lay your hands on. They're all pretty good. I hear good things about Tokai too, though I've never had the chance to try one out myself.

Failing that... save up and buy an actual Gibson?