does anyone else have a similar problem?

Ive played guitar fairly steadily for about 2 years. Now, since i like a very broad varitey of music, when im learning songs from TABS or chord books i dont find i have the "dedication" (for want of a better word) to stick it out and learn a full song. I skip from song to song learing little parts then move on...

Ive learnt a load of verses and choruses from random songs I enjoy but never actually got the full intro/verse/chorus and bridge of any song.,.!!!!!!!

Im wondering, does anyone else do this?

if not, how long was you playing before you learned and played your first full song..!!

I await replies
yeah i do it its soooo frustrating
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
I do it all the time. Most people do I'm sure.
I learned my first full song about a year into my playing, but it wasn't all that complicated, and was quite repetitive throughout.

I wouldn't look at it as a bad thing though, to be honest. You say you like a broad variety of music, which is always a bonus. So if you're taking samples of music from all of those different areas, it won't be long (if it hasn't happened already) before it starts to show through in your playing. It's important for developing your own style. Incorporate all your favourite licks and progressions into your own music and improv. If you ask me, I think you're on the right track, so keep it up.
I do the same thing. I think you need to have the motivation of performing the song for or with others to learn the whole thing. So if you're not in a band or not playing for people it's hard to see the point of getting a whole song down. I am currently making a real effort to correct this though. Picking something that is musically interesting is a good start. I'm currently working on The Rain Song by Led Zep as it can be played as a stand alone instrumental, and purely for my own pleasure.
Yeah i do the same thing. I learn the riffs i enjoy playing then the rest i can't really be bothered.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
whoa i have the exact same problem. coincidently enough ive been playing self taught for about 2 years. although there have been many occasions where i have learned full songs, but there have been so many other times where i dont finish learning them cos im lazy (or sometimes cos theres a riff thats to hard for me to figure out). i guess the times i do finish learning full songs is just because im in the mood and everythings going well and i dont get stuck when im trying to figure out how to play it. sometimes i end up going back to that tab a couple of months later when i remember i havent finished learning the song and that can help.
yea, i get that, the first full song i learned was orion by metallica and that was after id been playing like 18 months
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
oh yeah i know the problem quite well .... you're NOT alone ^^
i've been playing for almost 3yrs now, and i learned Fuel by metallica a years ago. that was my FIRST advanced song. okay... does country roads and lady in black counts?
I did. But I decided I wanted to learn some whole songs. Learned Downfall, and am now doing Evil Eye. First of all it's an incredible feeling playing a whole song through to a backing track (not as good as playing with others, but its nice) and it's nice when you want to show off :p. I must admit I kinda like to do that.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
meh, im not exactly the same. usually i'll start learning a song and get through a certain amount of it then get tired of learning it then move onto something else. then later on down the line, maybe a day, maybe a week, month or more. i'll be playing it and really wanna know how the rest of it goes so i go back and learn where i stopped.
im had that problem because i was self thought. i learned californication after bout 9 months!
Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah well the Nazi Horn conquers the French Horn in two weeks.

Halogen Lights
Quote by z4twenny
meh, im not exactly the same. usually i'll start learning a song and get through a certain amount of it then get tired of learning it then move onto something else. then later on down the line, maybe a day, maybe a week, month or more. i'll be playing it and really wanna know how the rest of it goes so i go back and learn where i stopped.

I do this exact same thing.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
I don't have the patience to be honest. I learn the parts I want to learn. I don't learn songs to have the abillity to play them anymore, it's more to learn how they create songs and how the play it.

It was cool when I was 14 to say "I know how to play Master of Puppets". But now I don't care anymore.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
wow, i thought i was the only one, it feels good to discover that other people are the same!
i always intend to finish a song but instead just learn a load of intros <_<, i wish i would stop as it really makes me feel like a crappy guitarist when all i know is intros