Hey all

I have just started playing electric and since i played acoustic mainly i know nothing about amps!!

I looking for a tone around about that of say the fratellis, dirty pretty things etc

Can anyone recommend a decent, fairly cheap amp?

Thanks
Epi Valve Junior

Maybe with an overdrive pedal, doubt you'll need it though
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^ I'd go for an overdrive, like a Tubescreamer or something, because to get natural OD out of the VJ it's pretty loud. Also, I'd suggest the VJ head and 1x12 over the combo for the bigger (and nicer) speaker.
IMO the Epi VJ is too dark sounding to get what he wants accurately. Would probably be better off with a Valvetronix or a Roland Cube as a first amp, since they come with presets, effects, and are a good starting point for someone's who's just started playing electric guitar.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have a Boss OD/Distortion pedal at the mo (stolen off my dad the last time I was home!). Would it be best to use this through the amp or just ignore it for the time being.

Im not a bad player so dont have any issues playing electric, its just the sound i cant get right. Have been trying for a week or so with that pedal and just your basic marshall amp but it aint happening, everything is just too distroted and there is way to much feedback.

Any ideas on prices for any of the above?

Thanks again
Hmm...maybe. But I could get a really nice tone similar to what the TS wants out of my VJ with my friend's overdrive (my DS2 didn't cut it for that sort of tone). Perhaps the Fender Champ would be better? Although, it does have a smaller speaker...
Well, VJ combo is about £105, but I'd say to take your gear and try out some amps, see which goes best with your guitar/pedal.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Denthúl
Hmm...maybe. But I could get a really nice tone similar to what the TS wants out of my VJ with my friend's overdrive (my DS2 didn't cut it for that sort of tone). Perhaps the Fender Champ would be better? Although, it does have a smaller speaker...

You're right that with a Tubesceamer would do a good job of tightening the sound up and bringing more midrange and treble to the amp, but the guy wants something fairly cheap, and I see no reason to get a tube amp and a tubescreamer just yet. The Vox Valvtronix would be the best immediate way to get the sound he wants.

Either that, or TS, make sure your amp is clean (I'm assuming it's an MG) and use your pedal (Is it an OS-2?) on the OD side, with tiny amounts of drive, and the tone knob at 2'o'clock or further.
vox or VJ.

VJ would be more future-oriented.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by Don_Humpador
You're right that with a Tubesceamer would do a good job of tightening the sound up and bringing more midrange and treble to the amp, but the guy wants something fairly cheap, and I see no reason to get a tube amp and a tubescreamer just yet. The Vox Valvtronix would be the best immediate way to get the sound he wants.

Either that, or TS, make sure your amp is clean (I'm assuming it's an MG) and use your pedal (Is it an OS-2?) on the OD side, with tiny amounts of drive, and the tone knob at 2'o'clock or further.

Well...doesn't have to be a Tubescreamer, does it? Just something that has a similar sort of sound. I mean, the overdrive I was using was the Boss SD1 which, if tweaked properly, gave a nice enough sound.

I know that the Vox would probably do what is required, but I was thinking ahead. I mean, eventually the Vox would become redundant once his ear develops, but the VJ would last, and have higher resale value.

But yeah, I understand what you're getting at.
Quote by Denthúl
Well...doesn't have to be a Tubescreamer, does it? Just something that has a similar sort of sound. I mean, the overdrive I was using was the Boss SD1 which, if tweaked properly, gave a nice enough sound.

I know that the Vox would probably do what is required, but I was thinking ahead. I mean, eventually the Vox would become redundant once his ear develops, but the VJ would last, and have higher resale value.

But yeah, I understand what you're getting at.

I know the VJ is the better long term investment, especially if he learns to mod it. And yeah, the SD1 would be ok, but he has an OS-2 already (I think that's what he was referring to), which can do the SD1 perfecto-mondo.

Anyway, it's his choice, let's hear what he has to say about it
Thanks for the replies guys, i now have a dilemma, what to choose?!

I guess for the moment (poor, underpaid worker) the best bet would probably be the cheaper option so maybe go with the Valvetronix

So is it mainly down to the amp then (its a Marshall MG somthing or other) you think that the only sound i can is a really overdriven/distorted sound?

Would love to get a decent sound cos i can play well enough and find electric fairly easy as i have played acoustic for a few years but its kinda hard when everytime i move my fingers i get this stupid distortion
It's just something with the amp, I guess. The MG isn't great (one of the most disliked amps on here) so don't worry about it. It is possible to get an alright sound from it if you try hard enough, but I'd not expect it to be anything brilliant. A new amp, however, would be a huge improvement later on, and will be well worth the wait
Quote by weaseltron
Thanks for the replies guys, i now have a dilemma, what to choose?!

I guess for the moment (poor, underpaid worker) the best bet would probably be the cheaper option so maybe go with the Valvetronix

So is it mainly down to the amp then (its a Marshall MG somthing or other) you think that the only sound i can is a really overdriven/distorted sound?

Would love to get a decent sound cos i can play well enough and find electric fairly easy as i have played acoustic for a few years but its kinda hard when everytime i move my fingers i get this stupid distortion
It's the amp. Sell it straight off.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yeah the amp seems ok for stuff where the dist/od sound is what your going for, RATM for example and stuff like that but not for this.

Cool, will definately look into getting another amp...as soon as payday rolls around!

One more question, if i was to go with the Valvetronix what would be a decent model to start with?

Cheers
AD30VT?

I don't know. Do you plan on gigging? If so, then I'd probably go for the AD50 or 60 model, but if not you could always just get the 15 watt version.