To help me solve this 'discussion', which amp would be louder?

Laney VC30-212
Roland Cube 60 (112)
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Electronically speaking the Cube would be 3dB louder, but physically the VC30 would be louder - its all valve so it has richer harmonics, has an extra speaker, and its probably a bigger cabinet (although i'm not sure if this helps much).
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
probably the VC30, cuz im pretty sure tube is supposed to be 2-3 times louder than SS. Even if it is equal volume as the cube, u'd be able to crank it full, and cube probably not, cuz SS amps sound **** cranked
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
The VC30 would sound louder, but the Cube 60 would be louder. Of course, being louder counts for nothing if it doesn't sound louder.

Edit: Unless you're a machine. Then the Cube would be louder-sounding, too.
Quote by Denthúl
The VC30 would sound louder, but the Cube 60 would be louder. Of course, being louder counts for nothing if it doesn't sound louder.

Edit: Unless you're a machine. Then the Cube would be louder-sounding, too.

BUT, through my knowledge of electronics, wouldn't the Cube (when cranked) be off through most of the cycle? Due to SS power amp saturation actually turning off the transistors at each saturation point? therefore no movement of the speaker? sure, it's driving 60watts mean through the speaker coil, but it's not actually moving the cone...

EDIT: Similar things happen to tubes, obviously, but the soft clipping of tubes allows them of source a greater current when pushed hard, so instead of just turning off, they just (non-linearly) supply extra current? (albeit, not much)

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Denthúl
^ I have no idea. I just play the bloody things

lol, sorry, I'm having an argument with one of my mates about my newly acquired VC30

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
Taking into account headroom etc?

Sorry, but what do you mean? The simple truth is that pushed to the max, the VC30 would come out louder. The amount of clean headroom is insignificant in terms of your question, since the VC30 will at that time have run out of it's clean headroom.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Sorry, but what do you mean? The simple truth is that pushed to the max, the VC30 would come out louder. The amount of clean headroom is insignificant in terms of your question, since the VC30 will at that time have run out of it's clean headroom.

sorry, i was a little unclear, ignore that post

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Crank up both amps to ten and use a decibel meter to see which is louder

That's what we're going to do, except without the decibel meter, and with earplugs.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Well, then you'll only be proving which sounds louder, not which is louder. Of course, you could just say yours is louder anyway once you've proved it sounds louder
Quote by musicfreak003
probably the VC30, cuz im pretty sure tube is supposed to be 2-3 times louder than SS. Even if it is equal volume as the cube, u'd be able to crank it full, and cube probably not, cuz SS amps sound **** cranked

Tube is not supposed to be 2-3 times louder than SS (that'd be a friggin' huge leap), but tube watts equal 2.5 times SS watts when it comes to volume or something like that.