Just wondering, if you use one of those digial computer amps, can you replicate any kind of sound/tone with it? Will it make a cheap guitar sound like high end stuff?
in my experience, programs like amplitube and other amp software is just crappy and doesn't create a decent tone at all.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
they're about 90% of the way there, IMO. you will NEVER NEVER get 100% genuine tube sounds from a modeling amp, but a NICE line 6 will get you pretty far and they're quite versatile.

so to answer your question, yes, but only to a point.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
If you have some great studio speakers on your desktop, and get the very best software (which can cost >$1000), you may sound almost like the setup you're supposed to be emulating.
Quote by staticoverdub
they're about 90% of the way there, IMO. you will NEVER NEVER get 100% genuine tube sounds from a modeling amp, but a NICE line 6 will get you pretty far and they're quite versatile.

so to answer your question, yes, but only to a point.

I understood the thread as being about computer programs as in Amplitube or Guitar Rig, not modelling amps.
Quote by Fama
I understood the thread as being about computer programs as in Amplitube or Guitar Rig, not modelling amps.

i would have assumed that too.... but then he mentioned the bit about replication (i.e. modelling). whatevs.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Like anything else it depends on the money you spend. The variax and pod live sound pretty good through the computer and the workbench software can get very close. For the purists, it will never be right, but any minor loss in sound quality is more then made up for in versatility IMO. Give them a few more years and even that won't be a question.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
blahblahblah tone...you'd be shocked to know how many "pure amp tones" are actually software re-amps that were done in post production. In a live situation, yes, you're not going to get the same feel. But in a recording situation, the end results are quite similar if not the same.
I'm still a novice at this, but so far it depends on the tones i'm trying to get. 80's hairmetal stuff so far is very difficult. Humbucker tone seems to be a science all it's own compared to more traditional single coil stuff. Late 50's early 60's Chuck Berry kind of stuff is very impressive. The twangier hollowbody type sound can just about be nailed with lower end software easily. If your in to that kind of tone it can be had at a relatively low cost. Now rather or not i can get a passable (you'll have to define passable on your own) Boston, Van Halen, Gilmour, etc that remains to be seen. I have my doubts, but I have to keep it in perspective. How much competition do I think I can give a million dollar studio with a few thousand in equipment? I'm happy with what I've spent, but usually better equals spend more!
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD