Hi there, usually i avoid any trem equipped guitars as i don't really play the kind of music that makes good use of a trem system. It's tough being arsed to set it up properly when i don't rally use it. anyway I am thinking ofbuying a PRS SE Santana from a friend but it is trem equipped. i really like how it plays so i was wondering if blocking the trem would practically make it a had tail? Would blocing the trem increase sustain? would it become as stable as a hard tail etc?

please advise, thanks very much
what's he selling it for? is it a great price?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
what's he selling it for? is it a great price?

£150 he has better guitars and is trying to make some room
well that seems like a pretty good price. but i admit i dont know all the PRS models by heart. not sure the brige model, and so on.

in general, blocking a trem is a pretty effective way of making it a "hard tail".

as long as you use enough wood you can increase sustain and keep it in tune.

if i liked my amp. (not needing the money for upgrades) and really liked the feel of the guitar, i woud get it.

but if i felt like i was collecting too many intermediate things. and didnt really "need" this purchase, i would skip it.

if you had a link to this guitar, i could be more specific.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
well that seems like a pretty good price. but i admit i dont know all the PRS models by heart. not sure the brige model, and so on.

in general, blocking a trem is a pretty effective way of making it a "hard tail".

as long as you use enough wood you can increase sustain and keep it in tune.

if i liked my amp. (not needing the money for upgrades) and really liked the feel of the guitar, i woud get it.

but if i felt like i was collecting too many intermediate things. and didnt really "need" this purchase, i would skip it.

if you had a link to this guitar, i could be more specific.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRS-Santana-SE-II_W0QQitemZ140165754857QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33045QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it's the same model as the guitar in the link. the thing is i am having trouble getting my alder bodied jackson to sound how i want it. it plays amazingly well but i am not a big fan of alder guitars generally. if i could warm it up a bit then great but i find that mahogany guitars are more my thing.
yeah, see, here in the states, i know you could get a new two humbucker fixed bridge, for $300usd.

not sure, what you have in that price range, but i think i would have to pass.

i wouldnt want to settle on a guitar that's almost what i was looking for.

something you should know because u've already got a guitar that's not quite right.

my suggestion to you, unless that's a GREAT price in the UK, is to, pull together the money you have including possible gear trade in, and buy a guitar that is what you really want.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The BC Rich Mockingbird neck thru I just got had the FR Trem blocked with two small blocks of wood on both sides. It seemed to work great. Some guys block it only on one side. I like the trem so I removed them and it wasn't easy they were superglued in place so they wouldn't slip. I talked to the repair shop and they said it was a common modification either a shop might have done or the owner of the guitar. The problem is with the blocks superglued on both the body and trem you couldn't adjust the height of the bridge. My repair guy said it shouldn't have been glued to both and if it's too tight it also can effect the adjustment.

John
I did one on a cheap project guitar that had the regular fender type tremolo.
All I did was take the tremolo apart so that it was just the top part.Then I bolted a block of wood to the guitar body insde the trem cavity then bolted the top part of the bridge to the block of wood and the guitar body.Works great, and I experimented before hand and after, yes you do get added sustain not lots but enough to notice.Just make sure you leave room to put the strings back up thru the bridge.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09