Hey, I am looking into purchasing a new amp to replace my marshall mg. I really want a valve that will give me that sweet warm clean tone, but can have enough power and volume to gig and play live with.

I noticed the Vox AC30 CC2 2x12 while I was researching and it seemed pretty good.

Any comments or any help on it?

It is a valve amp isn't it?

I know nothing of amps, I have only ever had my MG.

Cheers!
--Castles made of sand. Fall in the sea. Eventually--
Laney
Yes, it's valve, and it's an amazing amp. If you can afford it, and that's what you want, get it. You won't be disappointed, especially if you couple it with a nice OD.
It is a valve amp, and it is a very good one! They are said to be one of if not the best amp in the world for clean tones. You could always get the 1x12 combo, its cheaper, lighter and theres not a huge difference between one and two speakers...
Diezel, Motherfucker
and it's loud enough for gigs and stuff yer? I know nothing about valve amps!
Laney
It's silly loud is all I'm going to say. Don't underestimate its 30 watts of power.
Quote by laneychief
and it's loud enough for gigs and stuff yer? I know nothing about valve amps!

Yeah, it should be plenty. Like the other guy said, look at the AC30 CC1, which is a single speaker, and it's lighter. However if weight is not a problem, the CC2 isn't much more expensive than the CC1, so if you can, you might as well get the CC2, right?
yer Thanks guys that is really really helpful!
Laney
it is man, it is
especially if you get the 212...i sat right in front of it when i was trying it out and turned it up to see the amount of distortion it could get...i can still hear my ears ringing

its a real loud 30w amp

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Cheers I am enlightened and much more wiser about this amp now!
Laney
This will probably sound well NOOBish but on a valve amp what is the standby switch for?

God I feel stupid.
Laney
Yes, the AC30 is a valve amp and a very nice one for what your looking for. Choice of the Beatles for a good while there too. You may want to consider something bigger though. While 30 tube watts is very loud, if you're playing with a full band at club's you may likely find yourself wanting more headroom.

Mesa Boogies have tremendous clean tone, all tube as well. Also, I just got a Peavey Classic 50 410 and completely love it. Awesome clean tone, real punchy, sparkly yet warm. the real reason I got it was for the lead channel which is sweeeeet. Its a very versitile amp. I highly recomend it, if you get it, put some JJ's tubes in it and listen to its warm round sweetness blast out your eardrums all night!

Also, I definatly recomend checking out the Fender Hot Rod Deville's too, 65 tube watts, very nice clean. LOUD!!
The standby switch is for warming up the valves, which you should always do before playing. So...make sure that the standby switch is set to standby, then turn the amp on. Leave it for a few minutes, and then flick the standby switch to the on position. This helps prolong the life of valves.
Yer? Cheers man, I don't really play with a full band at the minute, it's kind of a weird duo thing we got going on, a percussionist and myself, so you think the ac30 could handle that?
Laney
Thank you denthul, I really did not have a clue about that!
Laney
Quote by laneychief
Yer? Cheers man, I don't really play with a full band at the minute, it's kind of a weird duo thing we got going on, a percussionist and myself, so you think the ac30 could handle that?

Easily. 30 Watts is fine for small-medium gigs. Any gig bigger than that would probably make sure you were mic'ed, anyway, so there's really no need for something outrageous.
Yea, the AC30 should definatly be loud enough for your duo. It really is a tremendous amp for cleans. Before you buy it, play it loud for a bit too. Tube amps behave differently at different volumes and as the tubes heat (or are cold, yuck). Turn it on, leave it for a few minutes, and then play loudly, somewhere over 50% volume, just to make sure you no what you're getting. Thats what I'd recomend. I'm sure you'll like, but try it.

As for standby, what that guy said is correct - thats what its used for. Essentially, it is just a mute switch.
Awesome, I am liking the sound of it more by the minute! I am seriously considering it! I listened to the test drive sound clip and the clean tone is amazing, very hendrix-esque! Like little wing sound. It's awesome!
Laney
Anyone got any comments on the laney lc50 II ?

How does it compare to the Vox AC30 CC2 2x12?
Laney
The AC-30 is just a legendary amp, I need one
Pair it up with a treble boost and you've got yourself everything you'll ever need!
Nice sig btw, I love that song
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Awesome! I use a pedal board which consists of a digitech jamman a dunlop mxr dime distortion and a dunlop crybaby, you know the ac30 has effects return and send, I really don't understand how you use that and what that means.

I admit I am a complete NOOB when it comes to amps.

(add45 Hear my train A comin' is an awesome song!)
Laney
Quote by laneychief
Awesome! I use a pedal board which consists of a digitech jamman a dunlop mxr dime distortion and a dunlop crybaby, you know the ac30 has effects return and send, I really don't understand how you use that and what that means.

I admit I am a complete NOOB when it comes to amps.

(add45 Hear my train A comin' is an awesome song!)

Don't worry about it man, you're not THAT n00bish, afterall, you chose a good amp to look at!

Here's a little FAQ thingy for effects loops, http://www.guitarsite.com/guitar_FAQ.htm#LOOP

Oh, and to you for liking "Hear My Train A Comin'"
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Awesome, cheers man, that was helpful, it's just a personal taste kinda thing. I guess I will experiment with that once I get my new amp, which is shaping up to look very much like a vox ac30!
Laney
Quote by laneychief
I don't really play with a full band at the minute, it's kind of a weird duo thing we got going on, a percussionist and myself, so you think the ac30 could handle that?

You could handle that with something like a 15W Blues Jr., no problem. You will have the master on the AC30 down below 9 o'clock, and the drummer will be complaining that you're still too loud.

The AC30 is a notoriously loud amp. I have the CC1 model, and it is LOUD. Louder than many amps rated at 40-50W. It's all you should ever need for gigs. Any show that's so big that the drums have to be mic'd, there'd be a mic for your amp, too. I got rid of a 60W amp after I got this one, because I no longer had a need for it.

But the thing about the AC30 isn't it's volume. It's all about tone. It's a beautiful amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.