I want a tube amp, high gain, and good metal tones. I play alot of clean and bluesy stuff too, but I need a good thrashy tone.

I have a credit card, and a steady job that pays about 200 a week. I don't wanna go overboard on my first stack, so I'm limiting myself to 800 bucks. I'm gonna go check out sonme amps later today, so lets hear some suggestions.

I play a Gibson SG with EMG 81/85 pickups.
My band will be playing some relatively large clubs in the area, thats why I'm in the market for a half stack. Thats in the right price range though, I'll check it out.
You don't need a stack, though. Honestly, a 30 watt valve combo is all you'll ever need for gigging unless you're playing huge stadiums, and even then there will be PA, so it will just end up being mic'ed. That B52 combo is plenty loud enough, and will probably cover everything that you have mentioned.
Its not a stack, but might as well be. Peavey Classic 50 410. Awesome for blues/classic rock/classic hard rock, but might fall a bit short on metal. Maybe with a pedal though? Its packed with tons of good tone and can get pretty damn heavy too.
I agree, stacks are generally a bit unecessary. Also very inconvenient.
how large? because even some pretty good sized clubs can be filled by a tube combo, and if they're really big they might have a PA system. you won't get a good halfstack for 800 bucks. no way.
I was thinking ValveKing or Windsor. It seems apparent theres alot more choice than that! I'll try the little music store near me first, then I'll go check out one of the chains in the city or something.
Eh. The Windsor is good for rock, metal and dirty blues, but it doesn't do cleans all that great, to be honest. And you can do better than a Valveking for that money.
You think those combos can keep up with a JCM 2000 DSL with a 1960A? Thats what my fellow axe slinger is using.
the windsor is terrible. the vk212 is a ton better (and works for pretty large shows, trust me, i play on 4 ish) wherever you go negotiate the price, i got mine new for 400.
Yeah. Just remember to tell your other guitarist that he has a volume knob for a reason. As long as you balance the volumes, you'll easily be able to manage it.
Since you said high gain I highly advise looking used, maybe a 5150/6505. I don't consider B52's or Peavey Valvekings high gain. You can push them with a pedal to get to moderate metal territory. Windors are higher gain but you will not get good enough cleans for some blues. You will get a better quality amp for that money in a combo.
I suppose I could go a little higher on the price as well. I usually do well at christmas.

Thanks for the quick replies dudes, the insight was very good.
^Actually the VK had way more gain than I normally use for blues/classic rock. My opinion is based on the responses I've read on the internet from some metal players. I have also heard positive opinions for metal on the VK. Would be worth trying it out.
I was in a similar situation and I was about to buy the valveking (Which is a really good amp for the price, amazing, I loved it) but then I saw a £300 JCM900 100W valve combo on eBay and brought it on an impulse. It's the nicest amp. Amazing for what you need; distortion is full and lush and as heavy as you want and the cleans are incredible.

Make sure you use it loud, the louder the better, much better.
Originally posted by jimmeh
I'm gonna try and teach my gf bass. I've only tried once, and we were both naked and still in bed, so it didn't work so well.
Definatly. Such a versatile amp, I'd heard it was good before I got it but it really is.. You get it.
Originally posted by jimmeh
I'm gonna try and teach my gf bass. I've only tried once, and we were both naked and still in bed, so it didn't work so well.
Yeah I have alot of checking out to do. Gotta do my homework and shop smart. I'll let you all know when I come up with something.
I heard the same about their cab. You'd be better off buying the head and finding a used cab with decent speakers in it fi you do go for the valveking. Apparently the speakers are really loose and muddy in the lower end. But, the amp head is great, just the speakers in that cab and their combos aren't liked too much.
Quote by eXperiment63
I heard the same about their cab. You'd be better off buying the head and finding a used cab with decent speakers in it fi you do go for the valveking. Apparently the speakers are really loose and muddy in the lower end. But, the amp head is great, just the speakers in that cab and their combos aren't liked too much.

Yup Exactly what i thought.
Thats the head I'll probably run into today. My local place probably has the VK. I'll check it out.
Take a look at the Traynor YCV40. Great tube amp for the price.
The Valvekings are real stinkers. Clean, they're mediocre, distorted, they sound practically SS.

And the 52 I recommended should be plenty gain unless you're heading towards br00t4lz, in which case you're looking at Randall, Mesa, some of the high gain Peaveys or something in that ilk.
^ RG50TC from Randall and 5150 from Peavey, aye?

But I don't agree with what you said about Valvekings. Their overdrive is alright, certainly better than most solid states. It's not a great amp, but for the money (at least, in the US) it's alright for what it does.
Quote by Denthúl
^ RG50TC from Randall and 5150 from Peavey, aye?

But I don't agree with what you said about Valvekings. Their overdrive is alright, certainly better than most solid states. It's not a great amp, but for the money (at least, in the US) it's alright for what it does.

Hmm, maybe I had a bad one, but what I heard was horrible.

And yes, those amps are the primary ones from those brands I was talking about.

OT, why doesn't your profile work Denthul?
Eh. I think it's because of the ú in my name. Not all software supports non-standard characters. I think this should work: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Denth%3Fl/

Maybe. Or maybe I was just playing the one I was demoing through a good cab? And I'll admit that I didn't crank it much, but I thought it sounded alright. There are, in my opinion, a few valve amps out there that are worse.
Quote by Don_Humpador
The Valvekings are real stinkers. Clean, they're mediocre, distorted, they sound practically SS.

I've heard them, and the VK has a good distortion.. Did you try a combo or use their 4x12? If you did, the speakers are what sucked... Makes all the low end sound liek absolute crap.

Another thing I've found is that some people do find the distortion a bit harsh. You could always replace one of the 12AX7's with a 12AT7, which will mellow out the distortion a bit. I read one review where the guy said he put an at7 in the 2nd spot and the distortion became much better.