sold off my ac30 and now im gonna get a JC120 head instead. Being a head, it'll be sharing the same cab with my 5150. The 5150 of course, would be for dirt and the JC for cleans. Both will be sharing a single 2x12 cab.

Question is, how do i switch between heads via footswitch, and not having one of the head "loadless", which may end up damaging it?
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
go for a boss LS-2 line selector. you could hook up both of the heads at the same time, and plug your guitar into the pedal and have the pedal plugged into the two heads.
^he needs something to switch between heads on 1 speaker cab, that will still keep an impedance load on the tube head when it switches. A simple A/B/Y box is not capable of this, that only works if you have 2 cabinets(or stereo jacks on one cab).
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
hmm yes it is a lil pricy, but thanks for the find.
Quote by Erock503
^that only works if you have 2 cabinets(or stereo jacks on one cab).

how hard is it to modify to stereo jacks?
the wiring itself is easy. Finding an input box that fits your cab correctly might not be as easy. I have seen them for sale however, just a small box that replaces your jacks now. You would wire one speaker to each jack. If you wanted to get fancy, there are also ones with a switch, so you could wire it to be stereo or mono.
marshall type with a switch(expensive)
http://www.tubeampparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M4X1CJA&Category_Code=J&Product_Count=23

generic type where you would buy your own 1/4" speaker jacks
http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=jackplate_cab

better make sure 1 speaker could handle all the wattage from one of your heads too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by Erock503
better make sure 1 speaker could handle all the wattage from one of your heads too.

you mean stereo 2x12 would be 1 speaker = 1 head? That would be a lil troublesome when it comes to mic'ing
yea, that would be the case. could you not find a jazz chorus combo? or maybe sell the 2x12 and have a stereo 4x12, so you've effectively got 2 heads and 2 2x12 cabs?
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Build an AB box, or buy one (but building one is practically dirt cheap, and easy to do)

connect both amp heads into the inputs, then the single output wire will go into the cab. Problem solved.
get an ABY box?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
its not that easy, did either of you (timmy page and Ynwi3) read whats been written?! if a head doesn't have a load connected it'll blow. you might want that to happen but i like my amps working, and i'm guessing the threadstarter does too.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

^+1

once again, that's not going to work. You need something that will keep an impedance load on the tube head at all times, even when it switches between them.
amp clips
amp vids
The only thing I know (without modding with electronics in your cab etc) is the tonebone, expensive, but can save you doshing out for another cab.
Quote by hairball
or maybe sell the 2x12 and have a stereo 4x12, so you've effectively got 2 heads and 2 2x12 cabs?

Dont wanna lug around a 4x12 , and besides, the PA guy would probably hate dealing with 2 mics instead of the usual 1. Been through that route before, and thats why the reason i sold off my ac30. Wanna minimise hassle with 2 mics. So now its 2 amps and 1 cab with a single mic.

I guess the only way is those tonebone pedals or something similar+cheaper. Anyone?
Last edited by ~Andrea-Angel~ at Oct 11, 2007,
maybe mr_hankey knows of another way to wire the cabs. because he tried to explain an alternative to the tb to me once. everything's over my head.

his had to do with stereo inputs too, but maybe he's got a different system compared to Erocks, get's the same results.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 11, 2007,
Try talking to some people that chill in GB&C a lot. mr_hankey, forsaknazrael, the_random_hero, etc... They might know a good bit about this.
Ben
^not to say that erok didnt answer the question already, muffin.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Just in case he needed more info or a more personal approach. If he's not electrically experienced the people over there will somewhat guide him through it. They're helping me with my footswitch now.
Ben
I am so glad i stumbled across this thread.

Otherwise I would have wrecked my new amp!

Now i either have the choice of biting the bullet and paying for a headbone....or driving a 12 hour round trip to pick up my other cab....!
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
You can use an electro harmonix switchblade. They are like forty bucks and rugged as hell. Just make sure you use speaker cable, and I assume the ohms and wattage is correct.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
^that's an AB box right?

didnt you read the thread?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62