Ok . I am trying to come up with solos for our orignals and everything I am composing sounds similar (not entirely but some of the bits are) to bands and artist I listen . It's getting really frustrating for me . It's not that I wantto copy them or something . I just can't get them out of my mind. What should i do ? . Should I stop listening to music for some time or what??

thnx in advance
Hi
Listen to soemthing else. Some genre you're not normally listening to.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Cryptoamnesia fears sort of...getting scared something original is actually copied, I think it's natural for that to happen if you second guess yourself, I really wouldn't worry about it too much.
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
with all the bands that have existed in the past, you're gonna sound like someone. Just write music you like, and if it sounds similar to someone else, so what? just don't purposely copy other people.
Listen to other genres man, every person develops his own style, but if you listen to one type of music that style is gonna be pretty limited
Here's another tip, if you don't do this already: hum or sing the notes as you play. Get used to doing it, and in time you'll be able to reverse the process and play what you hum. It's sort of like training your brain to train your fingers. Your mind starts to make associations that you never exactly learned. In other words, do this enough, and one day you'll play something that'll make you go "where did i learn that?" The answer is nowhere, you made it up.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote by Spamwise
with all the bands that have existed in the past, you're gonna sound like someone. Just write music you like, and if it sounds similar to someone else, so what? just don't purposely copy other people.

The truth.

Listening to 50.000 other bands won't help you either, you might broaden your horizons but you will still "copy" what you've heard. It's completely normal.

Most people with unique styles are just people mixing what they've heard. You can't be 100% original, because the guitar have only so ond so many notes. And if you add that to the tons of guitar playeres out there, well..Do the math.

It's important to not stress the fact that it might sound like someone else, it's more important to be able to write something you're proud of. I promise you, if you start thinking too much about it sounding like something else you're gonna get burned out because of that.

I still haven't released anything of my own work, because I always have the tendency to meassure up my work with what I listen to, i.e it might not be as techincal, or agressive, beautiful or whatever. And I'm pretty much burned out at the age of 19.

-Dr. Monochromat
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Quote by Jokimoto
Here's another tip, if you don't do this already: hum or sing the notes as you play. Get used to doing it, and in time you'll be able to reverse the process and play what you hum. It's sort of like training your brain to train your fingers. Your mind starts to make associations that you never exactly learned. In other words, do this enough, and one day you'll play something that'll make you go "where did i learn that?" The answer is nowhere, you made it up.

This is very true, everybody should do this!
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by wyldelife
This is very true, everybody should do this!

what if you cant sing worth a crap.

- I agree with the concept... singing it in your mind can be just as effective.... and less annoying to those that are listening.

I've heard alot of guys try this idea (singing aloud while playing). In many cases they still played crappy, and you could hear there out of tune singing along with their guitar playing.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 11, 2007,
If that's the case then they're tone-deaf and all the practice in the world will only serve to make them repetitive automatons. Creativity would be out of the question for a tone-deaf musician.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote by Jokimoto
If that's the case then they're tone-deaf and all the practice in the world will only serve to make them repetitive automatons. Creativity would be out of the question for a tone-deaf musician.

I dont think the inablity to sing means you are tone deaf, it just means you cant sing.
I'm tone deaf and can't sing. Does that mean the songs in my profile are uncreative?
Every musician needs to be able to sing. You don't have to sound like Bobby McFerrin or Frank Sinatra, but you do need to be able to carry a tune and to have pretty decent intonation.
Quote by GuitarMunky
what if you cant sing worth a crap.

dude the throat is a muscle. do you think body builders started lifting 100 kg when they first started?

and who cares what you sound like when you sing? your singing so that you can train your mind to make different sounds on the guitar, so when you go and turn it into a song then you dont need to sing, your guitar will be singing for you.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
theres only so many notes you can play on a guitar, only so many possible combinations of those notes and theres been millions of bands since the birth of music.

chances are, many, many songs have been played before by someone else.
the differences come from phrasing, and timbre and subtleties in playing. you just have to make everything you write distinctively your own, and nobody will question you.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by yawn
I'm tone deaf and can't sing. Does that mean the songs in my profile are uncreative?

-I'm beginning to wonder how you intended them to be.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
Quote by Erc
Every musician needs to be able to sing. You don't have to sound like Bobby McFerrin or Frank Sinatra, but you do need to be able to carry a tune and to have pretty decent intonation.

Since when? I've never heard anything about Bach or Beethoven being able to sing, but I guess they're not musicians, right?
Quote by Dunjma
dude the throat is a muscle. do you think body builders started lifting 100 kg when they first started?

and who cares what you sound like when you sing? your singing so that you can train your mind to make different sounds on the guitar, so when you go and turn it into a song then you dont need to sing, your guitar will be singing for you.

I agree that singing forces you to use your mind. You actually have to think about notes and phrases and things. you can do that without singing though. Just do the thinking part and your all set.

I mean if you enjoy singing and playing like that go for it. Its not a bad thing, especially if you can sing. But you can accomplish the same thing without any actual vocalisation.
Since when? I've never heard anything about Bach or Beethoven being able to sing, but I guess they're not musicians, right?

On bach in wikipedia.org

At the age of 14, Bach, along with his older school friend George Erdmann, was awarded a choral scholarship to study at the prestigious St. Michael’s School in Lüneburg, not far from the northern seaport of Hamburg, one of the largest cities in the Holy Roman Empire.

And on beethoven from wikipedia
Beethoven's first music teacher was his father Johann, a tenor in the service of the Electoral court at Bonn, who was reportedly a harsh instructor.

I suggest that next time you choose to contradict me that you do some research, rather than simply relying on baseless presumptions and petty wit.
haha well I was just guessing tbh, but it doesn't really matter. I agree that learning how vocalize notes is important but I don't think it's a necessity like you said.
Beethoven's first music teacher was his father Johann, a tenor in the service of the Electoral court at Bonn, who was reportedly a harsh instructor.

uh.. you do realize that the Tenor they are referring to is the music teacher right?

its saying that Johann was a tenor in the service of the Electoral court at Bonn. not Beethoven
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by GuitarMunky
But you can accomplish the same thing without any actual vocalisation.

I disagree. There is a big difference between doing it while singing or while "thinking" of the stuff you want to play.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
uh.. you do realize that the Tenor they are referring to is the music teacher right?

its saying that Johann was a tenor in the service of the Electoral court at Bonn. not Beethoven

Don't worry, I'm not nearly as stupid as I look.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I agree that singing forces you to use your mind. You actually have to think about notes and phrases and things. you can do that without singing though. Just do the thinking part and your all set.

I mean if you enjoy singing and playing like that go for it. Its not a bad thing, especially if you can sing. But you can accomplish the same thing without any actual vocalisation.

yeah but the more you sing the more you improve. I think its a good idea for guitar players to start singing along with the notes on guitar, you will get better and better. Its the same thing with guitar no one is born playing van halen licks.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by radiantmoon
yeah but the more you sing the more you improve. I think its a good idea for guitar players to start singing along with the notes on guitar, you will get better and better. Its the same thing with guitar no one is born playing van halen licks.

I agree, and I think its a good idea. It definately can be a positive thing, I wasnt trying to say that you shouldnt do it..... just that you dont have to.

Singing when you play forces you to deal what your playing on a musical level. You have to engage yourself in it mentally, which alot of guitarists are not in the habit of doing. I think its great.... my point was just that you can apply yourself in the same way without actually making the vocalisation.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 13, 2007,
Wow, i had no idea I'd generate such a controversy. Hehe.

Benjamin Franklin
Leonard Bernstein had a telecast about 'The Infinity Variety of Music'. The script I'm sure is possible to find somewhere online, it was very interesting.

Pretty much his point is that there will never be a shortage of original musical ideas.

But honestly, don't feel bad if you sound like your influences. Just combine influences in a certain way to create something novel.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
Quote by abhishek21
Ok . I am trying to come up with solos for our orignals and everything I am composing sounds similar (not entirely but some of the bits are) to bands and artist I listen . It's getting really frustrating for me . It's not that I wantto copy them or something . I just can't get them out of my mind. What should i do ? . Should I stop listening to music for some time or what??

thnx in advance

you cant really get away from that. pretty much everything has been done before. plus, its only natural for you to sound similar to the people you listen to. even if you listen to famous players, you can hear bits of other people in there. with more time you will develop a style and sound of your own but you will always hear bits of other artists.
Someone mentioned earlier something about being tone deaf. I think that is an overused term that's not fully understood. Speaking from personal experience, I don't think anyone is tone deaf. I just think that some people have untrained ears.

When I first started playing guitar, I would try to figure out songs (with little success). I couldn't tell higher notes from lower notes. I would always have to ask my mom for help. I couldn't even tell when my guitar was out of tune.

As time passed my ear improved. I was eventually able to figure simple melodies out and (kinda) tune my guitar by ear. But I still couldn't carry a tune.

I would spend so much time trying to sing along with The Beatles and Metallica and whatever else happened to be playing. I never could. I would ask someone if I was staying in tune and, of course, I never was.

One day I read on some website (can't remember the name right now) that you can improve your ear just by singing the notes along with the guitar. I tried it. I played the open A string and after awhile of moving my voice up and down up and down I eventually found the note. Then I moved up to B then C# then D, all the way up to A again. I did this everyday.

I'm in college now, taking music. In my aural skills class I sight sing (not with the best voice, but the right intervals anyway), recognize intervals, and scales, and chords. And now when I hear a song on the radio I can actually sing along.

BTW I know this was off topic, but I hate when people talk about being tone deaf as if there's no hope.
You illustrated my point nicely.

Benjamin Franklin
my say is that when you realize how hard it is to create melodies (vocal) that work with a song, you start to become more selective with your guitar playing as well.. personally ever since i started to sing i began to enjoy it just as much as playing and it led me to where i am now, which really works for me; i play guitar and sing the occasional harmonies in a funk/progressive band.

singing makes you realize how different the voice is as an instrument compared to the guitar, and kind of molds your playing into a more lyrical and less theory-based style while you´re doing leads

theory in itself is like drugs, it´s not gonna hurt you unless you become a robot that sounds like it has a list of riffs on winamp put on shuffle. it isn´t going to help yo either, unless you´re willing to actually learn and apply it and not just jot down the last scale your guitar teacher taught you and sit there wondering why petrucci knows when and where to play the notes when you can barely play the scale straigh cleanly

i guess the comparison comes from the fact that i know use and enjoy both to the extent i feel works, which means i dont play with my mind set on freeze frame on the last scale i learned which is what people tend to do when they get into theory and i dont smoke a joint before every pratice which is what people tend to do when they get into marijuana

if you want to "understand" music and it´s building blocks, so as to retrace the steps of classical masters or develop a mental guitar encyclopedia take up theory
if you want to become a pentatonic beast with a small arsenal of more complex riffs to bust out occasionally, stick to what you have (this is just a common case, there are amazing players that albeit their lack of theory manage to become astoundingly proficcient in their guitar playing)

good luck to ye
like i keep saying, transcribing is the key to most things in music. don't just learn the song note for note, look at the chords underneath the solo's and see why the leads work. then instead of playing the same licks the person played, instead take the concept of it and apply it your own way.

and yes start singing while playing. the best thing you can do is to do a walking bass groove, blues groove, funk groove. whatever type of groove you want. and play it over and over again.

now here is where the cool part comes in.......sing a improv over it. yes thats right SING an improv over it. don't play one on your guitar, sing it.

can't do it at first? keep doing it. eventually by being able to sing your improv's your improv's will become more interesting.

the concept i started to follow when doing a solo or an improv is "are you able to sing it?" if you can't sing it, then your not doing a good job.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."