Friend has a 1985 MiM strat for $300, is that still one of the better years?
Not to be rude, but you know the quality of a guitar isn't measured by what year it was made in or where it was made. It isn't measured by what wood or what hardware its made with. Its measured by its actual quality: The feel, the sound etc... Just because a guitar was made in the 80s doesnt make it the holy grail of guitars
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I wasn't aware they got crappy. Actually they have improved alot in the last few years. Better selection and features, better workmanship. They were decent in 1985 also. Just check it out to see how it held up over time.
Sorry I just remember reading in a few places that at sometime MiM's were really good, then the quality started to decline severely.
^No need to apologize, I'm not an authority on MIM's. Hang out a while and get some more info. I played an MIM around that era (my friend's) and I was impressed, but that doesn't mean they were all good. Quality control may have been more spotty than the more recent guitars.
Iv got a MIM telecaster, wouldnt change it for any other kind of tele. Only reason I would get something different is for the sound of a humbucker!
So in other words I have found nothing wrong with it being made in mexico.
Try it, but $300 isn't a great price. I would try and talk it down to $250.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by DagMX
Not to be rude, but you know the quality of a guitar isn't measured by what year it was made in or where it was made. It isn't measured by what wood or what hardware its made with. Its measured by its actual quality: The feel, the sound etc... Just because a guitar was made in the 80s doesnt make it the holy grail of guitars

Tell that to the people selling '57 and '62 strats for 80k plus...
Quote by porter_668
Tell that to the people selling '57 and '62 strats for 80k plus...

He said it's measured by the quality of the build. Vintage guitars were just made better

And they upgraded the MIMs in 2006 or 2007. I don't remember which.