I noticed every guitar with a FR Termelo system I have bought says "Floyd Rose Design". Are these quality versions or just something FR lets the guitar company do as long as they pay? You would figure if FR allows the companies to use it's name they would want a quality peice used so not to tarnish thier name. Is there any different between what BC Rich, DEAN, Jackson, etc use or are they all basically the same quality? I noticed even though all my FR look the basically the same there are small differences in the parts. Not one of them looks like the parts are interchangeable with the other. Buying replacement parts like fine tuners seems to be a nightmare.

John
There is a lot of difference. Look in my blog on FR trems where I outline a few. The only ones not heavily mentioned are Dean, Schecter, and BC Rich. BC Rich and Dean tend ot have lower grade LFRs, while Schecter tends to have higher grade trems from what I hear. On most units though, parts should be inter changeable
if it doesn't say Original Floyd rose, you don'twant it.

they all look the same, but the weight and quality is a major difference.
Quote by nan0
if it doesn't say Original Floyd rose, you don'twant it.

they all look the same, but the weight and quality is a major difference.

Not true, thats a huge generalization there.

There are some quality licensed ones like the yamaha oneson the wes borland sig, or the edge pro.

Licensed trems are usually made from softer materials that wear doesn faster but are cheaper to use so you'll save a few bucks.

But that doesnt mean they are all bad. The ones on guitarpartsdepot(ones used on kramers) are pretty good.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
Not true, thats a huge generalization there.

There are some quality licensed ones like the yamaha oneson the wes borland sig, or the edge pro.

Licensed trems are usually made from softer materials that wear doesn faster but are cheaper to use so you'll save a few bucks.

But that doesnt mean they are all bad. The ones on guitarpartsdepot(ones used on kramers) are pretty good.

sorry to be a pain,
the Wes Borland Sig I believe is a Yamaha designed trem based around the floyd rose, and the Edge pro is also based around a floyd rose but has a different design, it isn't a OFR and is still supposedly one of the best double locking trems out there
Quote by joeymaxx
sorry to be a pain,
the Wes Borland Sig I believe is a Yamaha designed trem based around the floyd rose, and the Edge pro is also based around a floyd rose but has a different design, it isn't a OFR and is still supposedly one of the best double locking trems out there

If I remember correctly, they are still licensed designs, atleast the yamaha one is.
I think the edge pro is as well, but that depends on how vague the floyd rose patent was. If I'm right they have a patent on all full floating trems that work on a fulcrum edge.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Edge Pro is an LFR, it's stamped as such on the sustain block.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
FYI the zero-resistance trems on the S-series Ibanez guitars are worth a look. It is easy to adjust the spring tension on them if you down-tune, and they have ballberrings in them for really smooth action.
Quote by CJRocker
There is a lot of difference. Look in my blog on FR trems where I outline a few. The only ones not heavily mentioned are Dean, Schecter, and BC Rich. BC Rich and Dean tend ot have lower grade LFRs, while Schecter tends to have higher grade trems from what I hear. On most units though, parts should be inter changeable

you're almost right there. only the LFRs on most Schecters suck, and BC Rich for the most part have OFRs on them now. Dean trems do suck bad though.
Ibanez' old Edge tremolos were really good, arguably equal to the OFRs. The modern day Lo-Pros and Edge Pros are also really well made. I can't speak for many other companies because the only tremolo equipped guitars that I have played for any decent amount of time have been Ibanez.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Original Edge destroys the OFR and the Edge Pro is incredibly comfortable and low profile as well as high quality.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN