ok so ive noticed recently that when i select the neck/middle position it sounds like just the middle. that, or the middle sounds just like the neck/middle. im not sure which it is. its a Godin freeway classic HSH. it sounds brighter than the neck for sure. the middle/bridge selection works though. they all change the tone except neck/middle. anyone have any idea whats wrong?

ive listened very close last night. i dont even think its switching positions. for the rest i can hear a difference for sure when they switch. when i go from neck/middle to middle, it sounds like im not doing anything. is there anyway to fix this?
Couple of things to try. First, check your manual or info on that guitar, to see what the company says the switching is supposed to be like. Some companies don't do standard pu switching, but don't make that obvious either.

Seccondly, you could look in the control cavity and compare it to a wiring diagram for that guitar, and make sure they match 100%. Check for bad solders, loose wires, that kind of thing.
Another thing you can try is taking a screwdriver or the whammy bar if it has one.Turn the volume up on the guitar and turn it down a little on the amp now put the switch at what should be the neck position and tap lightly on the pick ups with the screwdriver if the pick up is working then you will hear the tap come out of the amplifier. repeat this with all the pick ups in all the switch positions.
If you get the configuration from the manufacturer then you can compare what you come up with by tapping to what it is supposed to be.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
ok i did the tap test. this is what i got:

neck: only made noise on the neck pickup
neck middle: neck and middle made noise
middle: same as neck middle
middle/bridge: all three
bridge: bridge and neck

now i dont have anything to tell me if this is right or not. i never got anything with the guitar to tell me what the p up selections are. i just assumed it would be like my old SSS guitar, just with humbuckers. i guess ill have to find out.

shouldnt the middle selection only be the middle though? i literally do not hear any difference when switching the two. any other you can hear. like if you play a chord or open harmonic, you hear almost a wah wah type thing when switching back. but not with the neck middle and middle. it sounds the same. i figured the tap test should show just the middle or all three perhaps but its the same as neck/middle.
Sounds like its either

A: Wired so the neck is always on

B: Theres some flaw in the wiring and the neck is always on

The problem here, the neck is always on
You would be able to take it in to any store and they would easily fix it.

But you could open the cavity and check out the way its wired if you have any experience with electronics.
Did some searching for my own curiosities sake.If you go to Godins website you can bring up a PDF version of the manual it doesn't have tons of stuff in it but it does show the switching diagram.
It is supposed to be like a SSS set up position 1 neck -position 2 neck and middle -position 3 middle - position 4 middle and bridge - position 5 bridge
Go to Godinguitars.com
How old is the guitar it may be a warranty issue.
But something is not right with the neck pick up always being on.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
Did some searching for my own curiosities sake.If you go to Godins website you can bring up a PDF version of the manual it doesn't have tons of stuff in it but it does show the switching diagram.
It is supposed to be like a SSS set up position 1 neck -position 2 neck and middle -position 3 middle - position 4 middle and bridge - position 5 bridge
Go to Godinguitars.com
How old is the guitar it may be a warranty issue.
But something is not right with the neck pick up always being on.

yea i figured it was suposed to be like a SSS. i think its still under warranty. the store that i bought it at said they'd fix any issues for free but its just not a short trip. its out of my town and it takes a while to get there so i was hoping to do it myself. i opened it up though and the selector switch is different than my SSS guitar so i dont know how it should be. so i think ill just have to take it in when i get the time.
Get your hands on a continuity meter, (most digital multi meters have then built in these days) and walk though the switch. find the common and then keep one meter lead on that solder joint.

Then pick a selection with the switch and using the other test lead, find the one(s) that beep.
solder it all up with some help online and all that but if its still under warranty I highly suggest taking it in because opening the guitar will void your warranty.

BTW, this is a great meter for the price and its always handy to have around the house even if you don't do the soldering on the switch.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/DVM-850BL/760/3_1_2_DIGIT_LCD_MULTIMETER_W__BACKLIGHT_.html