Hey all!
I was recently thinking about death, and a few ideas hit me really hard! But heres what I think:
I sometimes think that after death, there is nothing... you cease to exist, and that there probably was no such thing as a soul since we are all just biological machines. However, I just realized that for my WHOLE existence, I have only known about existing. The idea of not existing has become absurd! And yes, some of you might say that I haven’t always known about my own existence (Like before birth, but I just don’t know it), but that’s where another idea comes in. What if, the human race as a whole, share the same soul? To explain this better, my name is John, and there is a Sally. We might live different lives and have different experiences, but the “person” within John, is exactly the same as the “person” within Sally! And so, when we die, our bodies do, but the “person” within us still lives on. It’s almost like a collective soul. I say this because deep inside, we are all the same pretty much. This idea could apply to animals as well I suppose: The soul of Life vs. random atoms of the universe. It’s like grouping “Life” as a single unit with a collective soul. Its kind of hard to explain what I’m trying to say. I hope one person gets it though!

What do you guys think?

There might be theories or similar theories, but I haven’t looked them up. I think reincarnation has something to do with it (But no, this is not a religious thread!)
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.
Quote by _Mayday_

/fail .. **** in your code

NOXEDIT: /fail myself

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

No. We are not all essentially the same. That's a really bleak view to take and eliminates any point to your life as it completely compromises your individual acheivements.

EDIT: There are already plenty of religious and philosophical ideas that involve a collective soul.

Also, there is a RELIGION THREAD AND a PHILOSOPHY THREAD. Surely this fits into one?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by _Mayday_

And you want me to vote for you!!??!?!?
YOU DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT MY OPINION!!!
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.
Quote by noxiosimitator
/fail .. **** in your code

NOXEDIT: /fail myself

I be the quick-post-editor

Quote by rustausa
And you want me to vote for you!!??!?!?
YOU DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT MY OPINION!!!

Yeah, that's one of the main things with my Presidency: I don't care about you, I want power!
Quote by break-me-in
No. We are not all essentially the same. That's a really bleak view to take and eliminates any point to your life as it completely compromises your individual acheivements.

I dont really see it as a depressing, i hate my life view! I still strive to live life to the fullest!
Quote by rustausa
I dont really see it as a depressing, i hate my life view! I still strive to live life to the fullest!

Ok. We're still not all essentially the same. Even religions that conform to the collective soul idea do not state that each person is basically the same as the next. We all have unique and individual physical, mental, and spiritual qualities. To me it seems absurd to call each person the same as the next.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Ontological and metaphysical exigencies slay me.

Be content with what you have, live your life. This human need to know what's beyond and the unknown regarding death annoys me. If it's nothing..you're not going to know it's nothing. If you're reincarnated I doubt you'll have a recollection of your previous life. If you go to Valhalla you're gonna get some sweet mead and hang out with Thor. Don't let these kind of things hang heavy in your mind, it constricts you. Confines you.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Quote by rustausa
Hey all!
I was recently thinking about death, and a few ideas hit me really hard! But heres what I think:
I sometimes think that after death, there is nothing... you cease to exist, and that there probably was no such thing as a soul since we are all just biological machines. However, I just realized that for my WHOLE existence, I have only known about existing. The idea of not existing has become absurd! And yes, some of you might say that I haven’t always known about my own existence (Like before birth, but I just don’t know it), but that’s where another idea comes in. What if, the human race as a whole, share the same soul? To explain this better, my name is John, and there is a Sally. We might live different lives and have different experiences, but the “person” within John, is exactly the same as the “person” within Sally! And so, when we die, our bodies do, but the “person” within us still lives on. It’s almost like a collective soul. I say this because deep inside, we are all the same pretty much. This idea could apply to animals as well I suppose: The soul of Life vs. random atoms of the universe. It’s like grouping “Life” as a single unit with a collective soul. Its kind of hard to explain what I’m trying to say. I hope one person gets it though!

What do you guys think?

There might be theories or similar theories, but I haven’t looked them up. I think reincarnation has something to do with it (But no, this is not a religious thread!)

lol!

This is exactly what i tryto tell everyone!

Human nature only knows how to exist and the human mind can't fathom the idea of NOT existing. Good job mate. I'm with ya 100% on this one.
Death

Death does not loom on the horizon. It is the horizon. All consuming and prevailing; an ancient stab on our presence and a command of time; to look upon it is to see a void white and resolute, a purpose and initiative independent of ourselves. On the edges of the void; or on the periphery of our flawed sense of sight and scope we see swirls and hazes of indistinct grays; movements captured in a monochrome spectrum of old war photographs. These nondescript patterns of semi circles and broken lines represent the obtuse giants of our bewildered and incomplete knowing. These are our dreams, fears, gods, devils, hatreds, loves, joys, sorrows and everything in between hazing lackadaisically in the cold grip of realities beyond our senses and therefore beyond ourselves. Death is the only concrete; the only finality and as children fighting and pleading to stave off sleep for a little longer we devise plots to comfort us with a hope knowledge of something more; something richer and more secure. This itself is the finality of human perception. This is the explanation of a deity’s love and grandeur. But in truth it is merely the pity we hold for ourselves and the only inimitable truth. Death does not loom on the horizon…it is the horizon and we are the ceaseless specks that separate the entirety of the void.
double post sorry, just in case anyone is wondering...yeah that's all me; kinda just shot out.
Quote by erifxneef
lol!

Human nature only knows how to exist and the human mind can't fathom the idea of NOT existing. Good job mate. I'm with ya 100% on this one.

Thanks!! And i agree 100% with you!!
Quote by greety

Be content with what you have, live your life. This human need to know what's beyond and the unknown regarding death annoys me. If it's nothing..you're not going to know it's nothing. If you're reincarnated I doubt you'll have a recollection of your previous life. If you go to Valhalla you're gonna get some sweet mead and hang out with Thor. Don't let these kind of things hang heavy in your mind, it constricts you. Confines you.

Well, not really. If i took what you said to heart, i would probably commit suicide! Humans were meant to question. We are not machines. If we were machines, i woudn't question! This way, i know im human, i know about my own existence. And also, your beliefs of death control the way you live. You believe that death should be alone so that you can live your life... OK. What if i believed that we were all going to hell? I would be going to church everyday, woudnt swear etc, and that whole different lifestyle is due to our different beliefs of death.
With that said, im questioning the nature of death... thats all! Im still happy with what i have!
Quote by kingasherock
double post sorry, just in case anyone is wondering...yeah that's all me; kinda just shot out.

great piece of writing! Very depressing though. But we will never know if thats truth. Maybe A god does exist!
Quote by rustausa
Well, not really. If i took what you said to heart, i would probably commit suicide! Humans were meant to question. We are not machines. If we were machines, i woudn't question! This way, i know im human, i know about my own existence. And also, your beliefs of death control the way you live. You believe that death should be alone so that you can live your life... OK. What if i believed that we were all going to hell? I would be going to church everyday, woudnt swear etc, and that whole different lifestyle is due to our different beliefs of death.
With that said, im questioning the nature of death... thats all! Im still happy with what i have!

Fair Enough. Hang on, I'm killing some Nazis in Call of Duty 2. I will edit in a response in a second.

EDIT: I acknowledged the fact that humans have the necessity to understand what's around them, the metaphysical, the afterlife, death itself. But there's no blanket statement for death is there? Time has proven anything but that. It's subjective. It can be anything. It's why I sometimes regard this search for knowledge regarding death as a lesson in futility. I haven't decided what I choose to believe happens when I die, hopefully heaven is full of Mountain Dew and games, you know. But I fear nothingness, the idea right now, a nihilistic idea, that there is nothing out there and we are meaningless is depressing..and I'm not saying that at all which is what I believe you were implying. I'm not implying that there is nothingness after death, I just find this endless quest for the unknown (regarding death) consumes us as humans. I think you'll find out when you get there.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
This is usually where I come in with quotes and such...but...your point of humans not being able to grasp the idea of non-existence is true, some people can't even grasp the idea of existence (but let's not go there, we've had this already).
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by greety
Fair Enough. Hang on, I'm killing some Nazis in Call of Duty 2. I will edit in a response in a second.

EDIT: I acknowledged the fact that humans have the necessity to understand what's around them, the metaphysical, the afterlife, death itself. But there's no blanket statement for death is there? Time has proven anything but that. It's subjective. It can be anything. It's why I sometimes regard this search for knowledge regarding death as a lesson in futility. I haven't decided what I choose to believe happens when I die, hopefully heaven is full of Mountain Dew and games, you know. But I fear nothingness, the idea right now, a nihilistic idea, that there is nothing out there and we are meaningless is depressing..and I'm not saying that at all which is what I believe you were implying. I'm not implying that there is nothingness after death, I just find this endless quest for the unknown (regarding death) consumes us as humans. I think you'll find out when you get there.

Fair enough, i agree with you... we will never know until we get there. Even though death has the power to consume people, i also believe that it has the power to enlighten people.
/stop smoking weed

or just stop being a philosopher when you smoke.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
/stop smoking weed

or just stop being a philosopher when you smoke.

I dont smoke! Its bad for the lungs!
of course god exists we created him in our minds and some people moved him to their hearts. something can only exist in the sense that we can realize with our sense and therefore give it meaning in our minds...but what are our minds????? perhaps everything you see and hear is only the products of our minds creating them...for all i know you don't exist but my mental prescence which floats along in eternity has decided to create you and this thread, and the computer, keyboard, my shorts i'm wearing, harry freaking potter so forth and so on maybe my mind created hitler and tv and rock music and here i sit typing on an instrument that does not even exist posting a reply to figments of my imagination...that's it i am done with weed.
Quote by greety

I'm with you on that one, worrying about these things is a waste of time and thought. You'll find out one day
Quote by kingasherock
of course god exists we created him in our minds and some people moved him to their hearts. something can only exist in the sense that we can realize with our sense and therefore give it meaning in our minds...but what are our minds????? perhaps everything you see and hear is only the products of our minds creating them...for all i know you don't exist but my mental prescence which floats along in eternity has decided to create you and this thread, and the computer, keyboard, my shorts i'm wearing, harry freaking potter so forth and so on maybe my mind created hitler and tv and rock music and here i sit typing on an instrument that does not even exist posting a reply to figments of my imagination...that's it i am done with weed.

May I please direct you to this well-known quote:
"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum"(I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am)- René Descartes.
Descartes concludes that he can be certain that he exists because he knows. But in what form? He perceives his body through the use of the senses; however, these have previously been proven unreliable. So Descartes concludes that the only indubitable knowledge is that he is a thinking thing. Thinking is his essence as it is the only thing about him that cannot be doubted. Descartes defines "thought" (cogitatio) as "what happens in me such that I am immediately conscious of it, insofar as I am conscious of it". Thinking is thus every activity of a person of which he is immediately conscious

So, in short, the very act of questioning existence proves that we exist.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware I've posted this before and someone was very humorous and posted "and thus he denied the existence of fish sticks.." It made me laugh.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Last edited by Child In Time at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by kingasherock

That is all exactly true, just the way you described it! And wow, everything comes from you mind, and you wasted it replying to imaginary people!! HAHAH!! Joking

^ I was thinking of that exact quote!
Last edited by rustausa at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by erifxneef
lol!

I can fathom it. It's like deep sleeping, only it's not very nice since you're dead. But your not gonna know that anyway. Ignorance is bliss - when I was depressed, I always thought about **** like this - what's the point? The answer is that there may not even be a point. I believe that humans created the idea of god (or gods) because they needed a sense of purpose. But yes, I suppose, **** my opinion.
Quote by frusciante_man1
cakemonster..you are truly my hero
HONK
Quote by DeSean
HONK!I like your cake.
Quote by olif8
And Cakeface, why didn't you sig my

HONK!

from that other thread?

Quote by LordBishek

I can't stand it any longer.

HONK