With the recent Radiohead CD being released in the style it was, NIN leaving their label, and now Madonna pulling her own little stunt http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/10/10/and-the-walls-came-tumbling-down-madonna-dumps-record-industry/ - It makes you wonder if there is something to be said about this.

Think about my theory for a few minutes here...

Record labels should become a thing of a past at this rate, and should move over to just becomings an industry for advertising.

Think about it... It is possible for an artist of MY stature to release a CD and tour on it, as long as I have the proper support. If you have the support of the public to perform a show every night to 200 + people, and then do a 3 hour set getting 500 dollars from a club, you can have enough money to put out a CD within a few months.

From there on out, there would be no pressing charges, but you could theoretically start an FTP account and host all your songs as mp3's, and do exactly what Radiohead is doing... You could also obviously go with a route like iTunes.

What I'm saying is, if enough people know about you and you have the talent, you can do whatever you want in music. In order to get that popularity, you need an advertising agency. If us musicians stand up and start a sort of revolution, record labels will have to be a thing of the past.

The only setback that I could think of would be the fact that most kids (The majority of the population that "matters" when it comes to record sales) do not have a paypal account or anything, and would have to nag their parents. We would have to find a way around this problem in one way or another.

I am seriously contemplating experimenting with this kind of route for my band sometime in the near future, once we're totally ready....

Do you guys agree with this outlook on this?

Summary for the lazy people - The record industry should not exist anymore, but only as an advertising agency, while artists use only the internet as primary means of producing music.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
I think all these artists can afford to do these things. I think bands should only make profit for time spent in studio and performing live. I don't think how many albums they sell should have anything to do with their income. That's where record labels should come in. Musicians are just as greedy as the labels.

You are right though. Internet screwed the industry. Nice one brotha!
i dont see this happenin. i mean, yes, radiohead release their album on the net at a pay what you want thing. but, its also as a discbox, costing around 40 pounds. AND they want to release it as a conventional cd early next year, and are looking for a label to do so. so in a roundabout way, nothing new is really happening, just free downloading is in a new guise and now legal
member number 14 of the UG John frusciante fan club

Founder of the 'the John Frusciante ****ing sucks!Club!" sucks, club!
one day there will be a revolution and it will all be good. what you have to understand is that right now, record labels are indestructable because they have such a tight stranglehold over the minds of the population. they are part of the illuminati, and they decide on behalf of at least 90% of the population what music to like.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
what if the band doesnt have access to the internet?

i know it's unlikely but it's always a possibility
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
I agree. Record labels suck. No point in writing a long thought out reason why. But I do agree.
Quote by jeowy
one day there will be a revolution and it will all be good. what you have to understand is that right now, record labels are indestructable because they have such a tight stranglehold over the minds of the population. they are part of the illuminati, and they decide on behalf of at least 90% of the population what music to like.

the illuminatti? its really just the radio, songs played there, get into peoples heads, and they buy em, resulting in the purchase of the album out of interest, and because not everyone can win the free copies radio stations give out.
member number 14 of the UG John frusciante fan club

Founder of the 'the John Frusciante ****ing sucks!Club!" sucks, club!
Quote by soulphonate
I think all these artists can afford to do these things. I think bands should only make profit for time spent in studio and performing live. I don't think how many albums they sell should have anything to do with their income. That's where record labels should come in. Musicians are just as greedy as the labels.

Bull****. If I make music that people like to listen to, I should get some of the money they pay to do so, whatever format the music is in. That said, most musicians make the majority of their money from touring and not recording. For the average working musician, recordings are merely a way to get venues for gigs and fans to come see the gigs. It's only the huge megastars who sell millions of albums who make a lot of money from recordings.

Record companies are declining, both because it is easier than ever to make a living as an independent artist and because they refuse to lower their CD prices to a level that can realistically compete with downloaded music. The other thing the internet is doing to the music business is returning the focus to the single song rather than the album, in essence setting the business back 40 years to before Dylan and the Beatles hit the scene.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by twistedmaggot

Oh come on..they'd have access to a computer one way or another, through friends, etc.

The only plausible explanation to your theory is that the band lives in the mountains of Afghanistan.

And even Osama has a Powerbook.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
You should simply get a distributor. Record labels are like middle-men.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by twistedmaggot

They would not be able to build a large enough fan base to make it big, and they'd have a lot of difficulties with recording unless they paid to hire a studio, meaning they have the money to buy a computer anyway...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT