so im building my 1st guitar and ive decided most of my stuff and almost done templates the wood i plan to use is aspen for body and soft maple for the neck as well as an eboney fret board these will be used possibly with 496R and 500t gibson ceramic pickups?/ will this work well or sound awful? thanks

(i have most of the info i need to build)
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Oct 13, 2007,
thanks because im worried about the woods getting dented easily cus it mite take alot of abuse.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Well look at some famous guitarists, I'll use rory gallagher as an example, in Montreux in 1979, he threw his guitar onto the floor on shadow play.
He did stuff like this all the time and the only problems were the paint coming off but that was cos of his sweat not the abuse.
I think yours'll hold up
You'll want hard maple for the neck.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
i read about hard maple and i didnt like it quailitys compared too soft maple but why would hard maple be better? thanks and wat about the body?
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
and btw ill be using tha with gigson 496r and 500t ceramic picups and a floyd rose bridge if that helps any more.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
hard maple would be better because its strength. the neck is under alot of pressure. really though it doesnt make much of a difference.
oh okay thanks
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Quote by carousel182
soft quarter sawn maple will work.

not as well as hard...

Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i read about hard maple and i didnt like it quailitys compared too soft maple but why would hard maple be better?

Soft maple is less stable than hard maple. That means its more likely to warp or bend both of which are bad things. If you don't want to tone of rock (hard) maple then go with mahogany. The neck needs to be stable and soft maple isn't a stable wood.

How did you decide on aspin for the body wood? It's not *that* uncommen for an acoustic but I've never heard of it being used for an electric. Acoustics and electrics don't act the same so I have no idea how it would work for an electric.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Oct 13, 2007,
Soft maple does work, as long as you have a truss rod (which you should anyways.) And I'm also not sure on the aspen.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Aren't there two varieties of soft maple? Red Maple and Silverleaf Maple?
I know silverleaf will work for a guitar neck, my acoustic's neck is Silverleaf maple.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by CorduroyEW
not as well as hard...

Soft maple is less stable than hard maple. That means its more likely to warp or bend both of which are bad things. If you don't want to tone of rock (hard) maple then go with mahogany. The neck needs to be stable and soft maple isn't a stable wood.

How did you decide on aspin for the body wood? It's not *that* uncommen for an acoustic but I've never heard of it being used for an electric. Acoustics and electrics don't act the same so I have no idea how it would work for an electric.

i agree, but did i say it would work as good as hard, i just said it would work
^don't get me wrong... I'm just saying hard will work better.

Quote by Will_Minus
Aren't there two varieties of soft maple? Red Maple and Silverleaf Maple?
I know silverleaf will work for a guitar neck, my acoustic's neck is Silverleaf maple.

There are more than two but red and silver are the big two. Red, silver, and big leaf (all soft maple) will all work for a guitar neck but rock (hard) maple is still better than the other three.
Not taking any online orders.
um okay i thin k mabeye i should use hard maple, and i read recently that solid bodys using aspen are exeptionaly crisp sounding and its light AND dense with good sutain
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
I'm kinda wired, but I don't think the tone of soft vs hard maple will matter terribbly if you're dropping in a Floyd. They don't exactly promote sustain or tonality.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I'm kinda wired, but I don't think the tone of soft vs hard maple will matter terribbly if you're dropping in a Floyd. They don't exactly promote sustain or tonality.

Well, using hard maple might help compensate for the sustain loss of a Floyd.
If he wants a warmer tone he could swap the ebony fretboard for a rosewood one.
No, ebony's gonna be warmer than rosewood. And fretboard won't make a gigantic tonal difference.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Really? I've always thought ebony was brighter?

Me too, I thought ebony was very bright.

Aspen? Isn't that a brand of Muesli?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
no aspens also a type of poplar wood
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
anyways wen im done ill let you know how it sounds
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)