Could anyone explain how to play C Major in Triads? The way my teacher wrote it out for me makes me really confused.
Last edited by Lauren16 at Oct 11, 2007,
hmm i would... if i knew what Trials was ;D
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
C major in TRIAD form?

a triad has the root note, the third and the fifth from the root.

for example, c major is - C D E F G A B

the 1st is C, the 3rd is E, the 5th is G.

SO, C Major in triad form is C E G (R, 3, 5)

you can make all the other triads from the c major scale by taking the root and the respective 3rd and 5th.

D F A which is D minor
E G B which is E minor
F A C which is F major
G B D which is G major
A C E which is A minor
B D F which is B diminished

does that help??
Last edited by branny1982 at Oct 11, 2007,
^ yes triads, sorry I typed it wrong. But I'm still a bit confused about it, I don't know maybe I just need to look at for a bit and then it will click. Cause I'm not really sure why I'm not getting it lol
Last edited by Lauren16 at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by Lauren16
^ yes triads, sorry I typed it wrong. But I'm still a bit confused about it, I don't know maybe I just need to look at for a bit and then it will click. Cause I'm not really sure why I'm not getting it lol

Its pretty simple:

the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of any major scale will give you a major triad.

Example:

C major scale = C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C

1,3,5 = C,E,G

therefore:
C major triad = C,E,G

Example 2

D major scale = D,E,F#, G,A,B,C#,D

1,3,5 = D, F#, A

therefore

D major triad = D,F#,A

This works with any key (you just have to know the key signature)

*works for minor scales as well, in which case the 1,3,5 will give you a minor triad.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 11, 2007,
Ok I get that now but how do you play it?
My teacher wrote out for C Major Position I 023 Pos. II 124 Pos. I 002 123 Pos. III 123 Pos. I 012 134 Pos. III 355 134 . He wrote notes to but they don't make sense to me with the fret position.
I have no idea what your guitar teacher meant in it. But here's a position of the major scale that can get you the notes you need (this one is in the key of C):

E|----------------------------------
B|----------------------------------
G|----------------------------------------
D|----------------------------9-10-----
A|-----------------8-10-12---------------
E|-----8-10-12----------------------------

8 on the low E and 10 on D are the root notes (C). For other keys just move this up or down the fretboard.

Triads are what chords are made of. Your basic Major chord has 3 different notes in it, which are called a triad when put together. These notes are the first, third, and fifth intervals of the Major Scale. For instance, if you try playing the C position above, the 8 on the low E is the first interval (C), the 12 on the low E the second interval (E) and the 10 on the A string is the fifth interval (G). So the C Major triad, or C Major chord, consists of the notes C, E, and G.

Try this out: the open C Major chord is usually played like this:

[U]E A D G B E[/U]
0 3 2 0 1 0 (frets)

So you have the open low E string (E), the third fret of the A string (C), the second fret of the D string (E), the open G string (G), the first fret of the B string (C), and the open high E string (E). It contains the notes C E and G. From this (if you didn't already know the chord) you can figure that it is the C Major Triad, or a C Major chord.
Last edited by CloserToTheSun at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by Lauren16
Ok I get that now but how do you play it?
My teacher wrote out for C Major Position I 023 Pos. II 124 Pos. I 002 123 Pos. III 123 Pos. I 012 134 Pos. III 355 134 . He wrote notes to but they don't make sense to me with the fret position.

hmmm I don't really understand what your asking there, but to play a c triad is just a matter of playing those 3 notes.

--0----------------------------
--1-----------------5----------
--0--------0--------5-------------
------------2--------5----------
------------3--------------------
------------------------------

any where you play C,E,G you have a C major triad as in the examples above. There are LOTS of places you could do this.

Is he asking you to play it in each position?
does he just want the 3 note voicings... or the full 5 and 6 string voicings?