I have been playing an Ibanez acoustic for a while now and I would like to buy an inexpensive electric guitar. ($150-200) I like the look of the Epi Les Paul Special II and it seems like most people that have them enjoy them. I also played a Squier Strat, i liked it...but it didn't blow me away. Can't seem to find an Epi dealer so I can play the LP Special II. I play almost all country music and some classic rock. I"m basically looking for something that I can play around with..not gonna be doin any gigs. Any advice is appreciated.
The Special is a very bad guitar. Bad neck, bad fretwork, the pickups are weak and noisy. Its a lot more expensive ($340 or so) but check out a Gibson Melody Maker. Silvertone makes an LP copy for $200 with a set neck and good reviews.
Try out a Squier Vintage Modified Tele that looks like a Nashville Tele. Or maybe a Standard Squier Tele with a pickup change.
I'd really save up a bit of cash and get a MIM tele... or if you wanna really save and get a guitar for life, a MIA strat or tele.
So from what I gather, the Squier Telecaster will give me more of the sound that I want compared to the Squier Strat? Has anyone had experience with the Silvertone LP copy?
The Squier Teles should put you in heaven for country. I have one and think its great for the money and does that well. Just be sure to try before you buy, as some are a lot better then others.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
Check out some Squier Teles. Or try to find a MIM tele used.

^^^
Or maybe an SX tele, I hear those are better than the squiers.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
squier tele. the affinity is alder. easy to mod. $169.

finished on the right with railed pups.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the Tele is probably your best option, A higher end Squier or a Lower end Fender will fit your price range... you will notice that many country guitarists use Telecasters, they give the sound you are looking for.

Go check out used stuff at pawn shops or music stores, just make sure it is in good shape and it works.
Is there much of a difference between the Affinity and the Standard squier tele's? Also, I noticed musicians friend has a squier custom tele with 2 humbuckers and LP type controls for the same price as the standard. Anyone know anything about this? I also noticed an ESP EC-50 that caught my eye. Unfortunately my local music store didn't have much in the way of used guitars, or I would definitely be going that route.
in general, if you plan on swapping out the pickups, u'll do better with the cheaper, affinity series, because those are usually alder.

in the standard series squier, u'll probably get agathis (less desired) but better electronics.

so if you swap out the pups on the alder wood guitar, u get the best of both.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011