I know someone who's done something like this before but I have no idea how. The cab itself didn't make the greatest quality sound (buzzes a lot) but it was a cheap alternative. My advise is to only do this if you really know what you're doing with the wires, the last thing you need is to be electrocuted. I have no guarantee whether this will work but it's worth a try if you know what you're doing.
Last edited by pwrmax at Oct 11, 2007,
sure they might sound funky but why not. youre gonna need a head though. but you probly know that already.
Quote by XXm3t@lXX
make sure you soak the wires in water before connecting them to anything that produces eletricity. When its plugged in,
touch the wires to see if its working.

Was that really necessary?

I'd assume car speakers would work in a cab, but I honestly don't know the specifics
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by XXm3t@lXX
make sure you soak the wires in water before connecting them to anything that produces eletricity. When its plugged in,

That's gotta be one of the most annoying posts I've ever read. You probably think you're pretty hilarious, though...
Quote by XXm3t@lXX

Reported for thinking you're funny, and cos you double posted, and you're an asshole, too.

Anyway, TS. That would work fine, as long as you match the impedances properly. It might sound really, really, bassy, but it'll give you sound.
any schematics or anything anybody can get for me? I've got 2 heads, I just don't need any more subs in my car but don't want to get rid of them. anybody have any better idea's for them?.........other than hooking them and turning them into pool toys..........
My brother did this with his bass amp when the origional blew. It isnt bad but its REALLY bassy so if he turns it up too loud my entire house shakes. Of course he also sets it for DEEP bass so that part of the culprit aswell.
most car subs are 4ohm if i remember correctly. shouldn't be too much hassle (just wire up a jack/speakon input to the terminals) , but they will be very, very bassy.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
car subs aint fullrange so it will be bassy as hell but shure it gonna work(guess annything that produces sound would "work" the question is just how good )
make sure you put them in a cardboard box cab like that other thread from a few days ago! JK
I've never been keen on using subs for guitar speakers; if you want it to sound good, shell out $65 for a good Eminence. And building the cab out of panels from your Mercedes is a horrible idea.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by cokeisbetter
Reported for thinking you're funny, and cos you double posted, and you're an asshole, too.

Anyway, TS. That would work fine, as long as you match the impedances properly. It might sound really, really, bassy, but it'll give you sound.

It might please you all to know the asshat is now enjoying a free "UG vacation".

I'm all for adding a little humor into the forums. But just being annoying in a serious thread without adding something useful to the discussion is ... well, just annoying.

Back on topic:

If you were going to use the subs in cabinets designed for the car, I'd suggest against it. Many sub cabinets are of a 6th order bandbass design. Without going into detail, this dramatically improves the efficiency, but in a narrow frequency range.

Put the speakers in a simple sealed box or an open backed cabinet, and they might sound alright. If you can, get a spec sheet for them, and look at the frequency response curve. Some subwoofers have cone with a mass so great that they can't reproduce frequencies much above 300hz. These would be of little use for a guitar.

The short answer:

Yes, you can use them, but we can't predict the quality of the results.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.