Hey guys I play stuff by Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert and soloists like that. Paul gilbert mentions that he uses the PAF Pro, and on dimarzio's site they say that steve vai joe satrani and paul gilbert all use it. I also know Steve vai plays the dimarzio evolution. Which one is best for me. Pretty much PAF Pro or Dimarzio Evolution?
Evo pickups seem like a good choice IMO
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by FRDesign
No, Vai never uses PAF's.

Dimazrio Breeds are a good pickup as well, not quite as high output as an Evo, but more balanced.

He used the Paf Pro, and it came stock on early Jem's, before they developed the Evo and Breed.
also, Dave Murray of iron maiden used to have the PAF Pro in his neck postition, before switching to hotrails.

just for other reference
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
EVO or PAF Joe/Mo' Joe
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
I use the tone zone in the bridge and it fattens up my dean quite a bit
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
PAF Joe / Mo'Joe (I have this and I must say it is awesome)
Tone Zone / PAF Pro
PAF Pros
or Evos
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by GuitarEvan07
Hey guys I play stuff by Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert and soloists like that. Paul gilbert mentions that he uses the PAF Pro, and on dimarzio's site they say that steve vai joe satrani and paul gilbert all use it. I also know Steve vai plays the dimarzio evolution. Which one is best for me. Pretty much PAF Pro or Dimarzio Evolution?

What's your amp?
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's your amp?

Good point. Guitar + wood would be helpful as well.

Also, I've never played with Evos (but I do love the tone), but I hear they're very unforgiving; so if you're a sloppy player, it will probably push you to become cleaner. Either that or you'll sound like ass.
Evo Bridge, and a Joe PAF at the neck.

I hear that an Evo at the neck requires incredibly accurate technique because it really brings out all the details in how you play... but maybe that's just rumors.
Thanks guys for the responses. My guitar is an Ibanez RG2570evsl Prestige, Made of Basswood, and my amp is a Crate 65 watt(no flaming. these amps are amazing)

I think Im getting the Evo for the Bridge and the PAF pro for the Neck.
yeah, nice choice, but work a lot in the techniche, as the Evo brings all every note, and not only you will be heard better, but also you mistakes will be heard more then before
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by GuitarEvan07
Thanks guys for the responses. My guitar is an Ibanez RG2570evsl Prestige, Made of Basswood, and my amp is a Crate 65 watt(no flaming. these amps are amazing)

If you like the tone you get from your crate, why change pickups...?

If you're looking for better tone, more suited for Vai and the like, look towards a better amp. Crate's solid states are pretty lame.
Quote by GuitarEvan07

The amp is not "amazing"...if it was you wouldn't be wanting to change your sound, would you.

Pickups WILL make a difference, I know because a Tone Zone/Air Norton set in my RG made my Peavey Bandit sound acceptable...but that's all, they made it go from awful to acceptable. You really want to be getting a new amp if you want to get a good tone from your rig, pickups will improve matters through the crate, just not as much as you think they will.

If you're stubborn enough to stick with your amp and want to improve matters you'd be better off getting an EQ pedal. It'll be cheaper and have much more of a dramatic effect on your tone.

I'd say go Tone Zone bridge, it's shreddy and still requires chops but it's not as damningly unforgiving as the Evo and also not quite so bright. I'd personally stick a Breed in the neck, you often see the Air Norton matched with the TZ but only go for that if you like more sterile tones with chopped treble, if you want something a bit more organic sounding go with the Breed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 12, 2007,
What they say about EVOs being unforgiving is absolutely true. I got a full set in an Ibanez RG570 when I was starting out. I feel like being able to hear my mistakes allowed me progress much faster.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
I vote for a Mo' Joe/Breed Neck combo. Maybe an Air Norton if you want a more classic sound.