im no good at essays but i thought this one would be fun. i have to write a guide to techniques when soloing on guitar. tell me how it sounds so far. crit is highly aprreciated.

Tim Pulliam
How to Essay Draft

Music is a form of art. Like all forms of art it takes a great deal of time and practice to become a skilled artist. Music is my art. I express feeling and emotions through the notes I play just as an artist would select certain colors to convey the message of their painting. Thus to further oneself with guitar is to be able to express oneself deeper. It would be incredibly hard for a painter to paint a mural with a limited amount of colors. Likewise, to master all techniques on guitar is to allow a guitarist a full “pallet of paint”. Plus, it just sounds really cool when you’re trying to impress the ladies. The following are techniques to improve a guitarist’s soloing and add variety to a guitarist’s playing. Rock on.
The basics of any musicians arsenal is knowledge. A basic understanding of scales and modes is the first thing a musician must understand to produce any kind of music. The major scale is an extremely usefull tool to know however if you find that learning all the notes and positions is a little intimidating then there is nothing wrong with starting off with the good old pentatonic scale, especially if you are looking for that classic rock sound or even blues. It is essentially easier to learn than any other scale because it only has five notes in it (“Penta” means five, “tonic” means notes.) knowing basic scales allows a guitarist to move around the fretboard while still maintaining the key signature thus creating melody. It is easy to realize if you have hit a wrong note, simply practice until you know exactly where all the modes are in the scale. A good exercise for this is to play through each mode up and down in the same key. This will help you develop an understanding of where the positions are.
The first technique generally for soloing is speed picking. For this alternate picking is the only way to go. If you find yourself using only down strokes then you must get in the habit of picking down and up. I find that simple chromatic excersises with alternate picking helps picking and dexterity. Play four frets with all four fingers (each finger designated to a specific fret) using strict alternate picking. Once this has been done on one string move to the next string (starting from the low E to the high e string.) After playing through the strings both up and down move up the neck a half/whole step and repeat. This will allow your picking to be efficient anywhere on the guitar. This is a very helpful way to practice speed picking but not very practical for playing actual music since chromatics don’t sound very appealing. Playing through the before mentioned scales with alternate picking will kill two birds with one stone and I believe is more effective in practicing. Playing these excersises to a metronome is essential. Starting the metronome slow at first just to get the feeling of the excersise will get your muscle memory working. When you have mastered the speed you have set it to (that is to say, be able to play flawlessly for the most part) increase the speed a little at a time until the desired speed is reached. Six beats per minute is a good increment when trying to obtain speed. Make sure to practice at least 20 minutes to 30 minutes a day for maximum results.
Okay so you’ve got your speed and you know what to play, now what are some good tools to be able shred in front of your friends? Well you cant go wrong with some fast licks. Triads especially sound good when you pull off three neighboring notes. Triads are simply playing three notes to make their combined beats equal to 4 quarter notes. Go up high on the neck and pull off the 15th fret to the 14th fret to the 12th fret. Simply play this lick a number of times then move up to the next series of notes which would be the 17th fret to the 15th fret to the 14th fret. Adjust your fingers to play the notes in the key your in. in this case this would be in the key of G. this is especially helpful when a guitarist is trying to build up to an intense solo. You feel the tension build up with every position you move up with this lick. Another good lick is derived from the pentatonic scale. Bending the G string up a whole step on the 14th fret then proceed to do a quick hammer on followed by a pull off starting on the 12th fret to the 15th fret and then back to the 12th fret on the B string. Repeat this lick several times. Going from this lick to the first one mentioned is a good way to start off a solo. Licks grab the listeners’ attention and so it helps to throw them into a solo to keep the listener interested rather than just playing random notes the whole time. Also do not feel limited to play these licks in the frets I have mentioned. Moving them around and experimenting is very important to being original. Feel free to alter them if you wish. Also learning songs which you like will help give you lick ideas for your own songwriting.
Haha your last name is Pulliam. That's cool.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Haha your last name is Pulliam. That's cool.

This is the sort of commentary you get from the Pit!

Nobody will bother to read the whole thing I bet. I thought it was good, though you didn't cover as many techniques as I would have expected. Still, nice work.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by newpurgatory
i still have a lot to write it has to be 5 ****ing pages im like halfway into it

Oh right.

Well fill two pages with scales. In music and tab.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
That is a good start. But you should explain the formulas on how to get scales and then follow w/ modes. You kind of assume the reader has an additional instruction booklet with them. Your essay should include explanations on how to get these scales and modes. It should also describe the strings and the notes. It's a good rough draft but needs more detail and ellaboration.

I fixed a lot of grammatical and spelling mistakes, as well as a few content mistakes. Most of the corrections are bolded:

Tim Pulliam
How to Essay Draft

Music is a form of art. Like all forms of art it takes a great deal of time and practice to become a skilled artist. Music is my art. I express feeling and emotions through the notes I play just as artists would select certain colors to convey the messages of their paintings. Thus, to further one's self with guitar is to be able to express one's self deeper. It would be incredibly hard for a painter to paint a mural with a limited amount of colors. Likewise, to master all the techniques on the guitar is to allow a guitarist a full “pallet of paint”. The following are techniques to improve a guitarist’s soloing and add variety to a guitarist’s playing.
The foundation of any musician's arsenal is knowledge. A basic understanding of scales and modes is the first thing a musician must understand to produce any kind of music. The major scale is an extremely useful tool to know. However, if you find that learning all the notes and positions is a little intimidating then there is nothing wrong with starting off with the good old pentatonic scale, especially if you are looking for that classic rock sound or even blues. It is essentially easier to learn than any other scale because it only has five notes in it (“Penta” means five, “tonic” means notes.) knowing basic scales allows a guitarist to move around the fretboard while still maintaining the key signature - thus creating melody. It is easy to realize if you have hit a wrong note; simply practice until you know exactly where all the modes are in the scale. A good exercise for this is to play through each mode up and down in the same key. This will help you develop an understanding of where the positions are.
The first technique generally for soloing is speed picking. For this, alternate picking is the only way to go. If you find yourself using only down strokes, then you must get in the habit of picking down and up. I find that simple chromatic exercises with alternate picking helps picking and dexterity. Play four frets with all four fingers (each finger designated to a specific fret) using strict alternate picking. Once this has been done on one string, move to the next string (starting from the low E to the high e string.) After playing through the strings both up and down, move up the neck a half/whole step and repeat. This will allow your picking to be efficient anywhere on the guitar. This is a very helpful way to practice speed picking, but not very practical for playing actual music since chromatics don’t sound very appealing. Playing through the before mentioned scales with alternate picking will kill two birds with one stone, and I believe is more effective in practicing. Playing these exercises to a metronome is essential. Starting the metronome at a slow tempo at first just to get the feeling of the exercise will get your muscle memory working. When you have mastered the speed you have set it to (that is to say, be able to play flawlessly for the most part), increase the speed a little at a time until the desired speed is reached. Six beats per minute is a good increment when trying to obtain speed. Make sure to practice at least 20 minutes to 30 minutes a day for maximum results.
So you’ve got your speed and you know what to play; now what are some good tools to be able shred in front of your friends? Well, you cant go wrong with some fast licks. Triplets especially sound good when you pull off three successive notes. Triplets are simply playing three notes to make their combined beats equal to one quarter note. Go up high on the neck and pull off the 15th fret to the 14th fret to the 12th fret. Simply play this lick a number of times then move up to the next series of notes which would be the 17th fret to the 15th fret to the 14th fret. Adjust your fingers to play the notes in the key you're in. In this case this would be in the key of G. This is especially helpful when a guitarist is trying to build up to an intense solo. You feel the tension build up with every position you move up with this lick. Another good lick is derived from the pentatonic scale. Bending the G string up a whole step on the 14th fret then proceed to do a quick hammer on followed by a pull off starting on the 12th fret to the 15th fret and then back to the 12th fret on the B string. Repeat this lick several times. Going from this lick to the first one mentioned is a good way to start off a solo. Licks grab the listeners’ attention and so it helps to throw them into a solo to keep the listener interested rather than just playing random notes the whole time. Also, do not feel limited to play these licks in the frets I have mentioned. Moving them around and experimenting is very important to being original. Feel free to alter them if you wish. Also, learning songs which you like will help give you lick ideas for your own songwriting.
Last edited by yawn at Oct 11, 2007,
this looks like a nice essay, the only prob that I have with it is that it took you half a parragraph to sorto get into your topic; nice as that intro was it didn't really belong in there 'cause it just seemed like filler material to add to the length of the essay. Like my english teacher always used to say: if you don't tell people what you're gonna talk about within the first three sentences (even if they're short ones) they'll loose interest in your essay and move on to the next thing, which is what your teacher will probably do. or, if he does read it, he's gonna be bored of his ass at first and won't really care about your essay, which can make your grade go down.

Start out with a solid intro that will get people's attention and at the same time let them know what the essay's about. something like (and I'm using many words from your essay):

"Soloing on a guitar is an expresssive and emotional art, which, like all forms of art takes a great deal of time and practice to do succesfully, but, the knowledge of different guitar techniques -which I will discuss in a moment- does for a guitarist the same thing a full pallet of paint would do for a painter: it allows deeper and more varied ways to express oneself. It would be incredibly hard for a painter to paint a mural with a limited amount of colors. Likewise, to master all techniques on guitar is to allow a guitarist a "full pallet of paint". Plus, it just sounds really cool when you’re trying to impress the ladies. The following are techniques to improve a guitarist’s soloing and add variety to a guitarist’s playing. Rock on."

This is just something off the top of my head to try to make this a paragraph that discuss your topic in a mor direct and concise manner. You're welcome to change this as you please, since I'm sure this is not really as good as either one of us can do. Just think of the intro paragraph as telling people what you're going to tell them in your essay, the body paragraphs as the actual discussion of your topic or just telling people what you wanted to say in the first place, and the conclussion as telling them, again, what you just told them in your essay... does that make any sense to you? 'cause it took me a little while to understand that concept from my english teacher
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Quote by break-me-in
Nobody will bother to read the whole thing I bet.
You bet wrong!
Quote by yawn
You bet wrong!

I was generalising. I read the whole thing. I proved myself wrong before I even made my bet. But I think the majority of the Pit will get no further than the first paragraph, before skipping to the end.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Also, you really shouldn't explain things in terms of frets. The NOTES are the musical elements; the frets are just the physical positions on a fretboard. Hopefully your teacher isn't a musician...
Use "Painters" instead of "artists" in:

"I express feeling and emotions through the notes I play just as an artist would select certain colors to convey the message of their painting."

Because, since "music is an art", you must be an "artist" also. But obviously you don't paint.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born: