8 24%
Gibson Explorer
10 29%
Ibanez RG Prestige
12 35%
Ibanez AS80
1 3%
Voters: 34.
Well it seems i've narrowed my guitar search down to a few guitars. My range is around $1k, but less is better if the quality is there. I play a lot of hard rock and some metal, and classic rock, but it's more of a heavier take on classic rock, think of Dream Theater's covers of Zeppelin and Floyd.

I want HSS, HSH, or HH. Comfortability is the main point, gotta have a nice neck, low action, ect.

I'm kind of iffy on a trem, at the most i'd like a vintage style trem, as long as it holds tune. Well here are my choices...

Fender Highway One Strat (HSS, or modified to HSH)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez Prestige RG (Try to find a hardtail)
Ibanez AS80 (Only $600 max, it'd be used since it's discont.)
Explorer or SG
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Hardtail Prestige RG: MTM1, PGM301, RGA121, MBM1, RG2228 and the RGA321

Gibson has some serious quality control issues on all of their guitars, so I'd drop those. The Fender Highway one is supposedly a very nice guitar, but personally I'd always go for Ibanez Prestige; quality hardware, great quality and they play like a dream thanks to their slim necks.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Yeah the RGA121 is a nice lookin' axe.

The Ibanez AS80, though a semi-hollow, seems like it can handle it's own. It feels amazing too, played it in stores, felt great.
I may actually warm up to the idea of a locking trem, since all the nice Ibanez Prestige's have them.
I have a epi explorer, and it's nice. I had to get some work done to the nut to get it really low. I have it so low that I don't really even need to press at all. Unless it's really high up on the neck.

From your avatar, you like Joe Satriani like me [^_^] you'll need a trem to do 98% of his songs. Ibanez's trems aren't that great, but if you do get one, get the Edge pro.

Egde II's, III's, and ZR trems don't stay in tune as well as edge pros, and original Floyd Roses. Don't get licensed floyd roses either, they're the worst.

Original > licensed

I like the Explorer shape and all better, but the Ibanez's necks are faster, and their action is lower so I'd go with a Ibanez
Quote by nan0
I have a epi explorer, and it's nice. I had to get some work done to the nut to get it really low. I have it so low that I don't really even need to press at all. Unless it's really high up on the neck.

From your avatar, you like Joe Satriani like me [^_^] you'll need a trem to do 98% of his songs. Ibanez's trems aren't that great, but if you do get one, get the Edge pro.

Egde II's, III's, and ZR trems don't stay in tune as well as edge pros, and original Floyd Roses. Don't get licensed floyd roses either, they're the worst.

Original > licensed

I like the Explorer shape and all better, but the Ibanez's necks are faster, and their action is lower so I'd go with a Ibanez
Oh I know my trems somewhat, and ZR's are perfectly fine.

I may end up trying to get a used Prestige on the bay for around $800, i've seen a lot of nice rarer Japanese ones that aren't available over here. Some blue flame tops, red flame tops, tasty
Quote by nan0

Original > licensed

The edge pro, origonal edge, and the ZR are all nice trems, and comparable to the OFR. its just a matter of prefrence
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by nan0

Original > licensed

Original means made by Floyd Rose, licensed means that it is made by a third party.

Therefore every bridge made by someone other than Floyd Rose is a licensed trem. This doesn't mean though, that the trems not made by Floyd Rose aren't equal or greater in quality. Brands like Gotoh, Vigier, Schaller and Ibanez make great copies.

The are a few Ibanez LFR trems you should watch out for, but these aren't found on any Prestige guitar, so no worries there. The ZR is actually a good LFR and will hold tune just fine.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
when in doubt, choose the ibanez
Last edited by Omegas at Oct 11, 2007,
I'm another advocate of the RGA121. Thats a solid built axe if I ever saw one.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/