why are all mosh pits always at the front of the crowd, near the stage? i think they should be in the back, and the people that want to LISTEN to the bands, and WATCH the bands play should be in the front. I tried to stand at the front during Coheed, but it turned into a pit , and frankly, i don't see the point in beating the sh!t out of strangers.

anyone agree?
It's kinda like that disney animation, ferdinand the bull. The moshers all want to show who's the strongest one infront of all the powerful men! But you just want to sit there, under your cork tree, and listen to some coheed and cambria.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
yeah.

but there's always a line of headbangers at the front. You just have to get a good position RIGHT at the front.
Speaking of mosh pits, a few days ago at school in the cafeteria line, a few older guys wanted to start one.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
i started a moshpit in the lunch line. It was awesome and I shoved this one kid into a table, moving it. He thought he was tough.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
TS, I know exactly what you mean, I think moshing is retarded (no offense to anyone), I'd rather just watch the show. I hate when I'm in the front trying to get into the show and then some dickhead grabs me and pushes me into a pit, why don't they just mosh with people that want to mosh?
Quote by TechnicolorBoy
Speaking of mosh pits, a few days ago at school in the cafeteria line, a few older guys wanted to start one.

that's ****en awesome!!! it would've been cool to do that inmy high school, but being the inner-city, east dallas high school that it was (woodrow wilson, if you must know the name) i doubt many people would've joined in

as for your question, well, I guess that the closer you are to the band and the speakers and amps the wilder people get and therefore the moshpits... but I once saw this MASSSIVE mosh pit during a lamb of god concert.... it was actually a triple moshpit with one at the front and two HUGE ones at the very back of the stage during last summer's ozzfest at dallas
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
I've been close to a moshpit on a show here at Portugal the line-up was Metallica,Stone Sour,Joe Satriani,Mastodon,Men Eater (gay ****s ),More Than a Thousand and Blood Brothers....

I was there to see the first three of 'course though I don't dislike Mastodon,either, but they weren't the reason for me to be there!!

Well,but what EVERYONE was there to see was METALLICA!

So,in just 5 minutes while I was drinking a beer and eating a hotdog,well,catching my breath 'cause they were the last to show up!When I hear the intro to Creeping Death...I was like "OHH F*CK!"...the area flooded,there was a huge amount of dust and I was back there,so it was impossible for me to see the show...

BUT...

I said my friend "What if we climb up to those poles?!"...And so we did!!

There was like 5 Moshpits (I could see the whole area from up there!) on the whole thing!It was awesome you could see the dudes falling and hurting themselves but they pick each other up,so it wasn't that bad!

But,I got some punches at the Mastodon concert 'cause I was at the front and right at my back was a Moshpit that I don't really wanted to participate 'cause y'know...It's Mastodon...

Just thought I would share the experience...BTW,it was a great 'Tallica concert,they played songs they hadn't played a long time before and didn't played any songs from St.Anger,Load or Reload!

AWESOME ****!!!
Quote by imdeth

I'm funny

BLUES
I don't think moshing is about showing how strong you are or anything.
It's just dancing really.
My mum calls it dancing... lol.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
kids who are moshing arent listening to the music because theyre actively enjoying it?

i wanna see municipal waste again, best pits ever :]
When I see people in moshpits I think of freshly caught fish flapping around in a basket.
what the hell are you talking about ts?

here in las vegas, they all start further back, unless some people wanna start a bro pit.

bro pit - similar to a mosh pit, except lacking alot of size, and people compared to a
mosh pit.
usually only about 3-5people in it, ends up dying soon.

but yeah, there's usually just a nice big moshpit towards the back here, its great =]
its exactly how you'd like it to be....except if you're closer to the front, and the music is great and something you could circle pit to, the crowd sways back and forth really hard....
so unless you're at the gate, being in the front sucks.

mosh/circle/hardcore pits FTW!!!
Mosh pits, if they DO continue, should be controlled to side stage or something, NOT the front row on the floor. I think mosh pits are retarded displays of stupidity, but if people really want them, at least dont drag the people who dont like them in.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Local bands i know ask the mosher to mosh at the back so people can listen and enjoy there music.
well the reason that moshpits want to be in the front is because they think there is a better chance that the singer will see them and recognize them for something or something like that...and the reason they exist is well people are durnk and that is also the reason that they pull people in its like a join the party type thing i am a mosher i think they are fun but that is just my opinion and i dont try to force others to go in them thats just wrong
I don't really have a problem with moshers, but when I go to a concert, I want to see the show, not spend my whole time trying to stay on my feet. I went to a Yellowcard concert earlier this year (I know, emo), and people were moshing to that...it was my brother's first concert, and we had to go stand in the back because he's only 5 foot 2 and he was getting his ass kicked. I very nearly had my arm broken when it got stuck in between two guys running in different directions.
bands would rather see people moving to their music than standing still like emos and looking up at them emotionlessly
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
the way I see it is that people mosh to show support for the band. from the perspective of the stage if i am playing energetic music and people are just standing around "just enjoying the music" you look the same as someone who isn't into it at all. the crowd getting into the show makes the band enjoy it more and they tend to play better and have more engery to give back to the crowd.

and people who complain about pits kinda annoy me because
1) you usually know if there is going to be one so you can't bitch about being near the traditional pit area when it starts up.

and

2) you can hear the music way better from behind the pits at most venues anyway. the big pa's are always projecting as far back as they can, so the very front barely gets any of the effect.
well, i don't have a problem with mosh pits, i have a problem with their location. if they move like 20-30 feet back, the bands would still see them and people would be able to be in the front, watching the bands.

i want to watch the band play, not run around and push people.
I just hate mosh pits at the wrong concerts
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Custom Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

It's obvious I don't like fender at all

HORSE the BAND
if you wanna be a pussy and dont like mosh pits, u deserve a spot at the back.
period.
my gear:
ibanez RG
digitech RP250
crate RFX15
marshall 30-watt

ignore the username
Quote by Eminored
I'd start a World War too if I listened to enough polka.

Quote by COBHC728
To TriviumJunkie: You need rehab my friend

stanleybach ur fucking banned!!
APSH!!
Quote by Dance_of_Death
I start mosh pits all the time.

I'll just be like "Mosh pit" and give a girly punch to everyone around me.

Sometimes we get a pit going.

so...what your saying is everyoen pulls out their "lolwut" pears and starts rubbing icyhot all over each other whilst the band does barrel rolls onstage?

on the more serious side, alot of bands encourage their listeners to mosh. therefore, they probably want to see them mosh. and its harder to see a pit if its way in the back.
ehh
Quote by Rhitard
When I see people in moshpits I think of freshly caught fish flapping around in a basket.

Moshing is alright, but I'd rather watch thw show. I've been in a few pits(Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica) and it was fun, but not as fun as actually watching the show.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
Quote by skaguitarist53
so...what your saying is everyoen pulls out their "lolwut" pears and starts rubbing icyhot all over each other whilst the band does barrel rolls onstage?

Sadly, i'm the only pit-dweller in my group of freinds. But i did start a huge icy hot joke at my school and some kids pranked another kid by putting icy hot on the toilet seat and in his hat.

And i do randomly yell at people to do barrel rolls.

I'm a sad, sad man.
^it will be ok. At least you can ask why your heart is beating rapidly and why your ateries are clogged in the pit.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
At our only local Punk Rock venue, We get a lot of "hXc" bands who want the audience of 20-30 people to do a circle pit.

about 3 people run around like dorks in an empty room.

'tis great fun.
Quote by closertofreewil
^it will be ok. At least you can ask why your heart is beating rapidly and why your ateries are clogged in the pit.

True, i'm glad i have a place that i can ask about my problems and get some REAL answers
Quote by kroberts8
I hate when I'm in the front trying to get into the show and then some dickhead grabs me and pushes me into a pit, why don't they just mosh with people that want to mosh?

no fucking shit there, i have a bag of merch in my hand and some ****er pushes me into the pit.
Well see as sounds travels it loses not just clarity but intensity. So you know a band like Lamb of God, famous for their pits. Up close, the music is mean and angry, but that lonely little ****head in the back hears "Buttercups, gummi drops, and pixie sticks." He then is left to ponder why everyone is acting so violently through the use of binoculars, and how people can head bang to magical forests of sugar- coated scrumptiliumptiousness.

EDIT: The aforementioned is similar to the Wall of Fluff you would find at say a Yellowcard concert.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.