I am big into experimental music: Mr Bungle, Residents etc.

And i was wondering if anyone could suggest me some avant garde or experimental bands.

Cheers.

Josh.
Praxis is great, get the album Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis). While you're at it, for avant garde there's always Buckethead! :P
The Fiery Furnaces.

one of the least accesible bands i know, but if you stick with it, you realize they are pretty damn good
Quote by Oguchi Onyewu
The Fiery Furnaces.

one of the least accesible bands i know, but if you stick with it, you realize they are pretty damn good

if its unaccessible... I am going to try and conquer it.
Lightning Bolt, Boredoms, Sun-Ra, some Sonic Youth, Big Black, Big Satan, Cecil Taylor, John Zorn (especially with Naked City and Mike Patton, Ornette Coleman...
Tiger style.
well theres different kinds of experimental but heres some rock and metal experimental for ya

Mastodon
Isis
Red Sparrowes
Pelican
Russian Circles
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Skinny Puppy
Cult of Luna

theres way more but i dont feeel like going on
go with godspeed you! black emperor.

you have to be very very very very patient, but its all worth it in the end
Google "Hoyry-Kone". You might find a download link, it's well worth hearing their second album Huono Parturi.

Very cool Zappa influenced metallic edge to them.
Thrice are amazing, but I would hardly call them experimental. Maybe a little within their genre.

You could try Godspeed.... like someone already mentioned. Alternatively, if you are open to electronic music, you could have a listen to some Aphex Twin.
There is poetry in despair.
Radiohead - Kid A
dredg - El Cielo
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Sigur Rós - Agaetis Byrjun
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimo Battles The Pink Robots
Deerhoof - Apple O'
The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium
TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes
Animal Collective - Feels
John Frusciante - Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-Shirt