Progression Into the Digital Era of Music and Its Effect on the Industry

Hizzah for ridiculously long titles.

Anywho, most of you know that recently bands have been selling music in a different way, other than CD's and the such.
The Internets.
For example, artists are finding theyd rather post theyre music on online music distribution companies such as iTunes. Some bands do this without even releasing a physical album.
My question for the wise minded residents of The Pit, is do you think this is just a trend some bands are using temporarily, or will this result into something much, much bigger. Like no longer releasing CD's at all, and music/CD stores being disposed of all together. If so, what are your opinions on the possibility. Good? Bad? No opinion at all?

Hopefully this'll bring up some good debate, if anything at all.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Yeah, it's a good thing. Although I don't have the money now to be able to be part of it. I'm still stuck with Compact discs and using the standard recording equipment that comes with computers to record anything. So once the demographics of it all evens out, then I think it'll be a really good thing.
The Pit. The Movie.
i dont like the idea of digital CD's, because its going to destroy music as we know it and bring in a digital crap era where you cant listen to a song in a cd player cause you dont have burning software.

also for people that don't have computers it would be kinda hard for them to get a hold of a lot of music...

if everything was done on an online music distribution company
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
I dont think its a good thing as digital music files (such as mp3) are of far less quality than a lossless CD would be. that and the fact that I like getting lyrics and artwork etc. when i pay for an album
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
you have NO clue what demographics means, do you spay? lol
I hope that all music goes back to live shows. the pop music industry trying to make hot singles is only made worse by itunes.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Quote by rockstar mace
i dont like the idea of digital CD's, because its going to destroy music as we know it and bring in a digital crap era where you cant listen to a song in a cd player cause you dont have burning software.

also for people that don't have computers it would be kinda hard for them to get a hold of a lot of music...

if everything was done on an online music distribution company

Yeah, simply because no ones knows what software or equipment is used for what. You have to really dive deeply into some stuff just to have some programs work right. This is why i see this all as really faulty too, but nothing that time probably won't fix.
The Pit. The Movie.
I don't think it will change much. People will always want something that they can buy, hold, treasure, and look at.

If artists could find a way to release music on a cd WITHOUT a label that would be awesome. I would then know that my money is going towards the artist.
I am the Infantry.
It wont erase music shops for good, seen as a small fraction of all sales last year were digital. plus alot of people simply prefer to have the music on a CD in physical form. I am one of these people.

Oh and also the major record labels get a very small percentage of the sale when it is downloaded...they dont like this, thats why they also prefer CD's. It means bigger bucks for them!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I'll always want a physical counterpart to the digital music... I love buying albums.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by !xobile
I dont think its a good thing as digital music files (such as mp3) are of far less quality than a lossless CD would be. that and the fact that I like getting lyrics and artwork etc. when i pay for an album

!xobile

pronounced *click*bee-lei

am i correct??
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Quote by rockstar mace
!xobile

pronounced *click*bee-lei

am i correct??

wow your probably the first one to know that! everyone else says something like ZOBILE! or X-bile or some such, so i suppose you've earned a cookie...
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
if bands only released their music online then people would just download torrents of the album for free.
the reason people buy albums is because its somthing that you own, you can touch/look at it, whereas with a download its on your computer and thats about it
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by Dreadnought
I'll always want a physical counterpart to the digital music... I love buying albums.

Me too.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Well, whether we or the artists like it or not, this is the way music is moving.

Personally I think it's a good thing. Even before I was able to download music, I bought CDs just as frequently as I do now - which was almost never.

Now I can access tons of music, fall in love with the bands, and support them by buying merchandise and going to see them live. If I really love the CD, I'll buy it.

It's a consumer's market now. I think it will force artists to make better music because now we have the ability to filter out the **** much easier.