Page 1 of 2
Ok this is what I have found out on this forum on this subject by searching

1 – There is no product out there that does this well. (9 out of 10 is the best review I have read)

2 – Lots of you think that they will get there in the end (Just a case of determination by the IT Crowd)

3 – Tube amps are king even though you would have thrown out any TV that used their antique circuits 30 years ago.

This is not ideal for me. I will be getting a great guitar soon (Gibson standard LP). That’s a done deal for me even if I just hang it on the wall and just stare at it. This you know is a big shame cos you lot have got me to this stage of being good enough to love what I do with my acoustic. I would not buy my dream guitar with no hope of ever getting good enough to do it justice.

Here’s the problem. I can’t play it loud and don’t have a lot of room where I live. If it helps with a bit of sympathy I can say that I have a Daughter that has a medical condition and is badly affected by NOISE. Even a vacuum cleaner causes her distress. In fact taking care of her is the main reason I now have the time to practice, and the reason why I can’t venture far enough away to play loud.

So what do I get to fit my needs? I originally thought that there would be no problem to just plug it into the computer and use some software.

The way I see it I have 3 options.

1 – Buy the best I can, and forget it. This is the option that will mean that I stop looking for any upgrades cos nobody will pay for the outdated gear that is expensive and not fitting for the job.

2 – Like above but cheep and hopefully OK, but in the bin when those IT guys finally get their act together.

3 – Some sort of wonder box that is small and sounds great. This could even be an amp that can output to headphones or anything I haven’t thought of yet. But I really will trip over anything larger than a shoebox.

Can somebody tell me what the best I can do is? Or am I stuck.

I think I am grasping at straws but I may as well add that I am aiming for a Blues/ Rock / Heavy Rock sound. Not so inclined to the Metal sound………Yet

Thanks in advance
I don't think digital has a hope in hell's chance of ever replicating the dynamics and responsiveness of a tube amp, however there are some decent products out there. The Tech21 SansAmp is one of the best analog modelling devices out there, and also sounds great with headphones...it's probably exactly what you're looking for...I know a couple of pros who swear it's the best-sounding stomp box they've heard.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tech_21_sansamp_gt2.htm
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There's nothing wrong with a little digital practice amp that respects the needs of your family. Tube amps are awesome, but they are too powerful for headphones, and can be frustrating to have if you cannot use it.

My advice: a little 5W SS or digital modelling practice amp that can be played over headphones for home use. Get the tube amp when you have an appropriate practice space or your daughter's health improves.

How about a little Vox DA5? You'd have an array of models and effects to choose from, and they sound great with a high-quality pair of headphones. For your purposes, there is really no need for more than 5 Watts. I had the 15W version as my first practice amp and still use it for when I need to be respectful of family & neighbour needs.
Quote by The Real Ming
dude, i didn't understand one thing you said.

there ya go Sparky...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Steve BP

How about a little Vox DA5? You'd have an array of models and effects to choose from, and they sound great with a high-quality pair of headphones. For your purposes, there is really no need for more than 5 Watts. I had the 15W version as my first practice amp and still use it for when I need to be respectful of family & neighbour needs.

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
One of the small Vox valvetronix ad15vts's perhaps?

The ad30vt actually has a wattage knob on the back, os you can turn it down in the house and if you ever need the volume just turn the watts up.

The DA5 also seems like a nice practice amp, as well as the Microcube.

So feel free to try any of those out at the store.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I think one of the multis that are out is a great option in that situation. You use headphones with it, so it's completely silent if you want, but it still gives you cabinet and amp sims, so the sound is actually very decent. Something like a PodX3 or a GT8 has a ton of different amp sims, from cleans to high gain, and it can sound very good if you alter the patches right for your taste. With the pod, recording is simple as installing some drivers, and plugging a USB cable into your computer. You can get some very good recordings out of these things. The podxt is now Line6's older model, so it will be cheaper, but it's still an excellent unit. The new podx3 has a few legs up, like more models and patches, blending patches, more outputs, etc. , but the actual processing I think is very similar in capability.

Personally, I think they are a great tool for practicing and home recording. They are portable, you can plug them into any amp or PA, and they are silent to practice when you need to be quiet. Some also have drum machines and loopers to practice with, which makes it a lot of fun.

No, it's not going to sound as good as tubes, or a real amp moving air, but it does have it's advantages too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Erock has it right. I swear by the GT-8, but in your situation, I think the POD would suit your needs the best (I don't think you need a pedalboard based unit...the desktop POD sounds better for your needs).

And if you're like me, you could give two shakes about digital being "as good as" tube...as long as the end result is something that chimes with you, that's all that matters.
Microcube all the way.

I have paper-thin walls in my house and i will have the volume very low so i can bearly hear it and it still gives out great distortion and cleans and it's not too expensive, i can even play at 2 AM and not wake up my parents down the hall.

I higly recommend it.
Quote by FRDesign
Spiders Cause Cancer

oh shut the fuck up for once. Spiders arent the end-be-all-end of amps, your just going with the fad.

i can honestly say i dont like them, i owned one for 2 years, but then again, i have higher standards. I want something that i can spend a chunk of cash on and be proud of.

he's looking for something that has a bunch of models and effects to use with headphones, nothing he gets is going to sound amazing (with the exception of guitar Rig 3) but to make a fucking cancer joke just shows your immaturity and ignorance.

that being said, i'd reccomend the Vox over the Line 6, but the Spider ISNT HORRIBLE FOR TS'S SITUATION.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by FRDesign
Spiders Cause Cancer

Now you're just being dumb.

A spider III 15 would be great for home practice. It's not an overpriced version, and it's quiet enough for home. Practicing by yourself doesn't require mix-cutting tone, or face melting leads.

How about one of the new pocket pods? Or Maybe a Guitar Rig software/hardware setup?

and 9 out of 10 for a guitar product review is pretty good, and satisfies "well".
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Oct 11, 2007,
Because of your musical tastes I'd recommend a Vox, they're pretty well rounded. That being said, I prefer the Roland cubes in about every way.

Spiders are more focused towards metal and if insane metal is your thing, then by all means you can't really beat the spider...except with a cube, but the spider is cheaper.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by igotabcrich32
oh shut the fuck up for once. Spiders arent the end-be-all-end of amps, your just going with the fad.

i can honestly say i dont like them, i owned one for 2 years, but then again, i have higher standards. I want something that i can spend a chunk of cash on and be proud of.

he's looking for something that has a bunch of models and effects to use with headphones, nothing he gets is going to sound amazing (with the exception of guitar Rig 3) but to make a fucking cancer joke just shows your immaturity and ignorance.

that being said, i'd reccomend the Vox over the Line 6, but the Spider ISNT HORRIBLE FOR TS'S SITUATION.

THANK YOU!!!
(the top line) SS Randalls are good, despite what any moron on here says. As for the old ****ty circuits in tube amps remark, yeah you're right, thats why I buy brand new tube amps otherwise I tell myself to GTFO.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by igotabcrich32

OP obviously doesnt care about tone, so you're right. For his situation it's perfectly fine.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Thanx to you all for your posts. I can see where you are all leaning ( some of you are on the back legs of the chair at the top of the stairs I recon )

Anyway I think I have a general opinion forming. I will get to try out a few out in the flesh before I buy.

I have checked out a few product websites that give samples, now I know what to try out.

Gabe

Rest assured that my computer is up to the job for the Guitar Rig 3. It looks the part but with all that tech it may be just too much for me. I will keep an open mind about this because ease of use is obviously a key selling point.

I will let you know what I get
Quote by imps

Gabe

Rest assured that my computer is up to the job for the Guitar Rig 3. It looks the part but with all that tech it may be just too much for me. I will keep an open mind about this because ease of use is obviously a key selling point.

I will let you know what I get

I haven't used Guitar Rig but I would expect it to be similar to Line 6 toneport.

If thats the case, I would say it is very simple to use. Takes a while to install, connect a cable to your computer, a few to the interface, and then you start the program and you're ready to go.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^Actually, the current guitar rig comes with a USB pedal board, so you can control your effects in the program. Much more intuitive than the tone port, and much more expensive.

Not to say the TP is bad, but the Guitar rig is a bit more advanced in interface and sound.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by steven seagull
I don't think digital has a hope in hell's chance of ever replicating the dynamics and responsiveness of a tube amp

and i will disagree 110%. right now it doesnt happen, and it probably wont for a few years, but one day digital will be able to replicate tubes. but right now, i would stick with something non-digital for the most part in a performance situation.

however, in the realm of quiet practice, nothing beats digital modellers. i myself constantly use a preamp running to my laptop. so basicly, a nice simple tube preamp, a nice audio interface of some sort, and then a nice program will get you great tones at a volume that is headphone happy. each of those three things are fairly common, and really depend on what you need to get recomendations. an interface can be anything from USB or firewire connectable, to a full blown new soundcard. the program you use can be something made for guitar, or you can be like me and use VST plugins in a sequencing program. it just depends on your wants, needs, and prefrences.
Well I use Guitar Rig for all my home playing purposes (living in an apertement, I can't crank or play my amp too loud) and I will definetly say it's great for practicing.

The new Guitar Rig 3 (I have the demo, it's not released here yet) is much easier to use than GUitar Rig 2 (which was quite easy).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Reincaster
^Actually, the current guitar rig comes with a USB pedal board, so you can control your effects in the program. Much more intuitive than the tone port, and much more expensive.

Not to say the TP is bad, but the Guitar rig is a bit more advanced in interface and sound.

If you buy a footswitch or something of the sort they would be about the same price. For that I believe I'd rather have GUITAR RIG than toneport.

Toneport is meant for recording almost exclusively. If you record in tracks it really doesn't matter too much.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
maybe a pod or some guitar modeling software like gearbox or guitar rig will be good for your situation
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
You have a zillion options. Pocket Pod, Microcube, and any number of a zillion multifx units with the cheapest being the Korg AX3G. You need to narrow things down.

- Do you want an FX box or an amp?
- Do you want to spend a lot of money or a little?
- Do you want small size and portability or do you want a great multifx box with expression pedal?
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you buy a footswitch or something of the sort they would be about the same price. For that I believe I'd rather have GUITAR RIG than toneport.

Toneport is meant for recording almost exclusively. If you record in tracks it really doesn't matter too much.

It's $500 new, so it's not really even close to the tone port's price, even with a footswitch. And GR is also meant for recording. As you can see, it's much more practical than the toneport in that you can control all the effects from the board, including wah, volume, and pitch shifting to name a few.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster

It's $500 new, so it's not really even close to the tone port's price, even with a footswitch. And GR is also meant for recording. As you can see, it's much more practical than the toneport in that you can control all the effects from the board, including wah, volume, and pitch shifting to name a few.

Hmmm, what was the other similar device that you could actually use live?

Now that I think about it, guitar rig is guitar specific, toneport is guitar/bass/vox. For $200 it's a good value but I really woudln't expect the quality to be near that of Guitar Rig.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
buy a low wattage cube, like a VOX 5w cube, and get a Line 6 POD, and model a Marshall 1960s all tube amp

you'll be lovin it and be able to play at extremely low sounds, it has changes from like 1w, 2.5w, and 5w i think.
its $100 for the amp and $100 for the pedal, so yeah, do that.
Quote by steven seagull
I don't think digital has a hope in hell's chance of ever replicating the dynamics and responsiveness of a tube amp

wrong.
Line 6 recently released a $600 combo amp specifically meant for being an
accurate model of a Bogner all tube amp.

edit:

actually im wrong, lol, it models a Fender blackface '65 Twin Reverb on certain settings, and Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifer on metal and insane.

still, sounds good to me in replicating it.
Last edited by MrDURPEEDURP at Oct 12, 2007,
^ actually that amp has a tube preamp and poweramp, so it isnt modeling a tube amp, it IS a tube amp. and everyone who has played it says it sounds like crap, so i wouldnt be putting any money on it anyway.
AMPLITUBE destroys Guitar rig for distortion and cleans. Its the closest to recreating tube responses!

Just amazing!

But if your into experimental stuff and your effects then GR2.
Quote by False_God
AMPLITUBE destroys Guitar rig for distortion and cleans. Its the closest to recreating tube responses!

Just amazing!

But if your into experimental stuff and your effects then GR2.

yeah, but still didn't sound that good to my ears
First a big thanks for all your input. I assure you all I have looked at all ideas until my head swam.

So..... I now have the guitar. Very pleased with it too

Now what to plug it into.
I saw one of these in a local music shop.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0002GYYI6/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_top/104-5677139-3523938?ie=UTF8&n=11091801&s=musical-instruments#customerReviews

Does anybody on this site use one?
The shop owner swore by them.
I have to admit he nearly sold me it. After all it is the lines of what I want.
As you can see the reviews are good on amazon and other sites I have checked out.

For the £40 I have seen it priced for I recon it's not something I will not regret buying.
I do have this nagging doubt that it may be too cheep to be that good. Probs the same thoughts I had about les paul copys
Any further thoughts/alternatives along this line before I go for it?
I would rather have a Korg AX3G than the RP50 in the price range you are looking at. Also if you can eBay a used GNX1 or GNX2 in the same price range you would get 5x the value for your money. The Behringer Vamp is also something to consider. The Older RP digitechs like the RP50 would be last on my list.

I bought a GNX2 off Craigslist for $75, and I just got off eBay a used GNX3 for $100. Get a midi cable and download the software and you have an awesome multifx unit. I say that even though I also have a Boss GT-8.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 23, 2007,
Page 1 of 2