Page 1 of 4
A leading medical expert says lowering the legal drinking age to 16 could help tackle the UK's binge culture.

What are your thoughts on this?
16 year olds will start binging

habitually..
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Yeah, that's what a bunch of newly licensed teenagers need.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Which would mean they could drink in pubs, which is better than a park.
I'm against anything that stops us from binge drinking... if they want me to stop binge drinking they should pay me more money... then I'd drink every day instead.
Well, I think a balance between the age and the legal amount of intoxication should be in affect. Sure, let 'em drink, but make sure they don't have as much alchohol in their systems as adults.
The Pit. The Movie.
what's the age there now? unfortunately, it's 21 in the states...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Yeah, that's what a bunch of newly licensed teenagers need.

hey, if you're mature enough to drive a 2 ton piece of metal at 70 miles per hour, you're mature enough to drink, imo.
Quote by kidsilcon
Which would mean they could drink in pubs, which is better than a park.

No it's not, parks are sunny, and it's warm and nice outside. In bars, you breathe enough smoke in to equal up to downtown LA.
nah make em wait till 18 like all the rest of us had to, and plus lowering it probably wont help much, you'll just get 14 n 15 years olds sitting in parks drinking
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
drinkin age in Portugal is 16 !!
"rage, pilage, burn, and run away"
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

hey, if you're mature enough to drive a 2 ton piece of metal at 70 miles per hour, you're mature enough to drink, imo.

Its 18 now. but there were thoughts of raising it to 21.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

17 to drive here, 18 to drink.

Anyway it won't happen and it's a silly suggestion.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
well this IS a guitar forum, so i think were all for lowering the drinking age
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
Quote by Dog454
No it's not, parks are sunny, and it's warm and nice outside. In bars, you breathe enough smoke in to equal up to downtown LA.

1) its autumn.

2) no smoking in pubs no more.
alot of people I know/used to know would happily get as much cheap alcohol as possible when they were 16 or under and binge drink, it doesn't solve anything, (imo)
Quote by kidsilcon
Its 18 now. but there were thoughts of raising it to 21.

is it the same in Ireland? I'll be going there next summer when I'm 17, and I've heard that it's only 16 there. plus, my older cousin will be 18, so I'll be pissed if he can drink and I can't.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Except, driving a two ton piece of metal isn't the most difficult thing in the world to do.. Drinking, however.. There's a lot of stupid **** people do when they drink that people of a younger age can't necessarily handle the consequences of.

However, the point of my post was to point out that anyone who is buying liquor at the age of sixteen would need some form of ID. Which, generally would mean having their license... I can't really imagine too many sixteen year olds NOT drinking and driving, which would further enhance their already ****ty driving.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Yea, but at 16 your body isn't able to process alcohol. It is like puring acid on your liver. It is the worst thing a young kid can do.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
I really don't see how it would help.

I'm sixteen now, I very rarely drink, a large part of it due to the fact I can't be arsed to find the pubs and shops that serve obviously underage teenagers.
I'm still sixteen and the age has been lowered so i can now drink. Oh look, I'm going to be downing bottles of vodka every night as I sit miserable and alone at the keyboard sending random people on UG messages.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
id say keep it the same. weve had several teenagers die from car wrecks near where i live, and one of em went to my school. Id think that alot of teenagers would be able to binge legally, and then have no excuse for not going driving afterward. it would cause problems IMO.
Quote by kidsilcon
A leading medical expert says lowering the legal drinking age to 16 could help tackle the UK's binge culture.

What are your thoughts on this?

It already is where I live...
Quote by imdeth

I'm funny

BLUES
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
is it the same in Ireland? I'll be going there next summer when I'm 17, and I've heard that it's only 16 there. plus, my older cousin will be 18, so I'll be pissed if he can drink and I can't.

18 in Ireland.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
to be honest, drinking legally takes the fun out of it.

then again, i'm 15 and have never been legitametly drunk, but its still fun to look cool around the ladies.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Well, you won't be pissed. He will.
Quote by mh400nt
Theres rats running around outside my window, one of them has an apple, he looks very happy about this.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Oh ****

Aaaah well. It gives me an excuse to rape.

Quote by Jaymz_515
Bunnywunnywabbitywoos.
why even have a drinking age in the first place? when your too young to drink, your parents have the power to stop you, as soon as they either choose to let you, or they no longer have the power to stop you, you are old enough. besides, having a drinking age only makes young teens want to drink more.
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
Quote by rockstar mace
16 year olds will start binging

habitually..

Like many don't now?

I think it'd be a great idea. The only reason that we have th image of 'boozy yob culture' that we do now is that because it's illegal to get the alcohol when you're under 18 and to drink it on the street, you only get certain types of kids doing it, which tend to be the ones who have no problems with breaking the law anyway.
Quote by Pinky19
It is the worst thing a young kid can do.

really? I can think of a few things that are worse:

Crack
Crystal Meth
Acid
Smoking Cigaretes
Playing the "pass out game"
all of which kids already do.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Yeh, its 18 in Ireland too.

I say keep it at 18, as a 17 year old, I think 21 is too old and 16 would be too young.
I think they shoud just make it legal in pubs because it's a controlled and safe enviroment were as the streets isn't.
Quote by I'm_Guitarded

erm ....... no.
Quote by kidsilcon
I think they shoud just make it legal in pubs because it's a controlled and safe enviroment were as the streets isn't.

Your own living room is an even more controlled and safer environment.

Drink with Mommy and Daddy or drink not, Junior.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by kiko101
drinkin age in Portugal is 16 !!

That's why your country is not civilized
Last edited by .smudged. at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I really don't see how it would help.

I'm sixteen now, I very rarely drink, a large part of it due to the fact I can't be arsed to find the pubs and shops that serve obviously underage teenagers.
I'm still sixteen and the age has been lowered so i can now drink. Oh look, I'm going to be downing bottles of vodka every night as I sit miserable and alone at the keyboard sending random people on UG messages.

not everyone is as sad as you, some people have a social life
Quote by .smudged.
That's why your contry is not civilized

Oh jesus, I love every post you make, simply because every time I read something you have to say, I picture Gir's voice in my head.
Quote by vintage x metal

Letting younger people drink? Thars like giving Hitler a 50 Megaton warhead.
Quote by I'm_Guitarded

Don't be so narrow minded. I enjoy getting a little drunk with some friends (as well as potential butt buddies) but I don't see the benefits to lowering the drinking age anywhere. Leave it at 18 in the U.K and leave it at 21 in the U.S.
Nikolas
Page 1 of 4