Should Scientists be held accountable with what man does with their creations?

Poll: Should Scientists be held accountable with what man does with their creations?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should Scientists be held accountable with what man does with their creations?
Yes
12 12%
No
89 88%
Voters: 101.
I only included yes and no because a "maybe" option isn't fair as everyone would pick it...

The obvious answer is no. Theres no such thing as bad science, its only people that are evil.
Rig:
PRS SE semi hollow (blue)
mexican fat strat
Ovation MOB
LTD hybrid 300
Fender Blues Junior
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD 20 and DS1
It depends.

Obviously if someone makes a lethal gas to be used in war they know what they're doing, and should be held responsible if it kills people.

But if someone makes a wicker basket out of nylon, and someone uses that to strangle people with they shouldn't be held responsible because it's not made for hurting people, but it can be used as a weapon by evil people (like pretty much everything).
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
No. Scientists should be held accountable with the nature of their creations.

Example: Someone could use a laboratory developed dense rubber (boot sole) to beat the shit out of someone. A benign object becomes a weapon, but it's originator is not to blame.

By 'nature of their creations' I mean intended purpose. There is no benign purpose or justifiable existence for the A Bomb and other nuclear weapons. Their originators are to blame for the nature of their creations.
Quote by skeptopotamus

Example: Someone could use a laboratory developed dense rubber (boot sole) to beat the shit out of someone. A benign object becomes a weapon, but it's originator is not to blame.

By 'nature of their creations' I mean intended purpose. There is no benign purpose or justifiable existence for the A Bomb and other nuclear weapons. Their originators are to blame for the nature of their creations.

copycat
Quote by skeptopotamus

That's not true. Science is simply waiting there to be discovered. The A bomb has, in a sense, always existed. That some scientists built the first one doesn't mean they were accountable, since somebody else would have invented it in the end. Imagine if we didn't have them and North Korea was the only country in the world with nuclear weapons at the moment.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Alfred Nobel invented dynamite.

People died.

Nobel had a guilt trip, established Nobel Peace Prize.
Quote by Kensai
copycat

I read your post and re-worded it in 60 seconds? I think NOT! We're both just geniuses.

Quote by suffer some

That's not true. Science is simply waiting there to be discovered. The A bomb has, in a sense, always existed. That some scientists built the first one doesn't mean they were accountable, since somebody else would have invented it in the end. Imagine if we didn't have them and North Korea was the only country in the world with nuclear weapons at the moment.

The Manhattan Project did not simply exist just to exist as a group of scientists and they did not accidentally discover man-made nuclear fission. They worked for it. Hard. They can absolutely be held accountable for the discovery of nuclear weapons.
Quote by suffer some

Er... that's like saying you can kill someone, because everyone dies anyway.

Quote by skeptopotamus
I read your post and re-worded it in 60 seconds? I think NOT! We're both just geniuses.

Yeah I know, I'm just messing with you
Anything that is invented can be used as a weapon.
If something is invented where its PRIMARY use is to kill, then whoever invented it should be held accountable to some degree.
no, i saw a documentary on albert einstein once, he was a great human being and all, and he felt really ****ty after the a-bomb, and i felt like going back in time and giving him a tap on the back and telling him it wasn't his fault, and he shouldn't feel bad...

definite no.
Two words

Neutron Bomb.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
No.

Are the inventors of the Automobile all responsible for the deaths they cause? NO.

Do Vladimir Zworykin and Philo Farnsworth share in any responsibility for the drivel passing for television programs today? NO.

Would Horace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson be to blame if I put a bullet in my ex's brain? NO.

We would all LIKE to be able to transfer blame onto the inventors, but WE are responsible for our own actions.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Kensai
Er... that's like saying you can kill someone, because everyone dies anyway.
Exactly.

"You murdered my husband!"

"He would have died anyways. Sheesh, you on your period or what?"
No, man should be held accountable with what man does with their creations.

Edit: I guess, unless, you mean people who worked specifically on an atomic bomb or something in WW2. But still, if I gave the order to drop the bomb, I wouldn't be turning around and saying, well they invented it!
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
Last edited by Yamiyo at Oct 11, 2007,
I actually chose yes, because in some cases, the scientist, being as smart as he/she apparently is, should know the consequences of creating certain things.

For example, Einstein regretted ever putting any of his work into nuclear fission, which turned out to create the first atomic bomb. What he did was great if in the right hands, because it means that we don't need fossil fuels anymore if used appropriately, but of course the military intervened, and it became a symbol for ultimate destruction.

There are cases, however, where science is nothing but useful and can save lives (or prolong them really), but for the most part, humans can find means of destruction easier than finding means of life.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Quote by yawn
Exactly.

"You murdered my husband!"

"He would have died anyways. Sheesh, you on your period or what?"

Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Thats like saying All christians should be responsible for priests raping little boys, and the spanish inquisition. You cant hold a hman responsible for trying to figure out the world around him. If the scientist invents/discovers somthing that is used ONLY to harm other people, that that is an isolated case.
Not Enough AssHatery
I think they should not be accountable for their creations evil doings because at the end of the day, it's not up to them to do bad or good, and also every creation has a good and bad side. so like i'm sure that when they developed weapons, they're main goal was for defense, but if someone uses it for killing, well that's the price you have to pay, nothing comes free, know what i mean? something bad has to come out of something good.
Should religion be held responsible for its murderous fanatics?
Should knives be responsible and condemned as an evil tool because of all the stabbings?

You can see where I'm going with just those two examples. Anything in the wrong hands can prove to be dangerous.

Even a pillow.
Quote by mr moustache
as far as weapons go, there has not been a weapon created that we have not used.

Except the Klobb.

That thing sucked ass.
Quote by magnus_maximus
It's really quite sad how technology progresses fastest when humans are trying to kill each other. We probably thought of burning down the enemy's huts before we thought of cooking.
What about cooking...people? o.O
Well, you guys say the nuclear bomb and well that actually saved alot of lives. It would killed alot more soldiers than people that were killed at Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Also, if we wouldn't have developed it firsr Russia would have and we would have been screwed.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
There is actually a chapter in this book I'm reading that deals with technology. It says that we are in such a rush to get that thing out there that will be the quickest way to achieve what we want: end of a war, cure an ailment etc... that we overlook the possible consequences.

Nuclear fission could power millions of homes, and end the war. We rushed head long into the project and when the final numbers came out... we had no idea where to store the nuclear waste, no idea how to contain it either-- Chernobyl-- I know that's in Ukraine I believe... And we had no idea of the full destructive capacity of the bomb on a city. It took disaster after disaster to figure these things out. Should a scientist be held accountable for creating such a thing... no, simply because often times they work for someone else who would the one to blame. Hitler's scientists probably didn't want to develop better ways to kill people... but it was their job and they would be killed if they did not do it-- plus Hitler probably had them brainwashed by then, or he used his most loyal subjects.

In the world of medicine... we are in search of that pill that stops our pain, our sickness, our chemical imbalances problems. Often we find that curing the main problem becomes the goal, except we want it as fast as possible-- and so we expect side effects... yet the irony is people will get pissed if they get up late for work because they took that cough medicine that may cause drowsiness.

Basically, the book "Matters of Consequence: Chapter 5" states that we develop all this tech and know that often times it will come with a downside, yet we will be shocked and upset when whatever that flaw is actually manifests itself in our lives. The bomb... we were all for ending the war... then Boom!!! and suddenly that wasn't such a great idea. Medicine I already told you about... Fast food... quick and (gr)easy food service= fat ass world- literally. The auto industry, gas prices... hmm... we get mad in America because we have the lowest standard MPG quota of all the major countries that produce their own brands of cars. I believe it hovers right around 24- 26... when China for example is in the 40's. Cynical... that should be America's underlying anthem... "Home of the ignorant in the land of irony."
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
No..unless your a mad scientist who wants to take over the world.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Definitely not entirely responsible. It's a tough question though. Something like the Manhattan project too is in many ways justifiable since the Nazis were already working towards it... it was either we get it or they get it. It's the lesser of two evils IMO.
Quote by WNxScythe
Definitely not entirely responsible. It's a tough question though. Something like the Manhattan project too is in many ways justifiable since the Nazis were already working towards it... it was either we get it or they get it. It's the lesser of two evils IMO.

Do you think maybe in the beginning before they settled on the bomb they had more obscure things like a panty raid, a giant laser beam, summoning Cthulhu?
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
I would have to say no. Its HOW people use these discoveries that people should be held accountable for.

For example, the fact that we can create an object that replicates the innermost workings of the sun is amazing! This could help us do many things: estimate how old the sun is, figure out how much time is left, create ubiquitous quantities of energy, etc. Its the jackass that said, "hey, lets use this as a weapon" that should be held accountable.
No.

You can hand someone a gun, but they don't have to pull the trigger.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No.

Are the inventors of the Automobile all responsible for the deaths they cause? NO.

Do Vladimir Zworykin and Philo Farnsworth share in any responsibility for the drivel passing for television programs today? NO.

Would Horace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson be to blame if I put a bullet in my ex's brain? NO.

We would all LIKE to be able to transfer blame onto the inventors, but WE are responsible for our own actions.

/thread

+ 1,000,000,000
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Scientists can't be held accountable for their creations, at least in most cases. Michael Kalashnikov created the AK-47, which is probably the weapon that has killed the most people in the history of warfare. He didn't intend for that, but alas, it's what happened. He remains innocent. Viktor Meyer and Hans Clarke discovered and created the earliest forms of mustard gas which was then used by the Germans in World War One and launched against the Canadians, killing many. Not their fault. Those involved in the Manhattan project fully understood that their country was commited to all-out war against two superpowers, but it was not their decision to actually use the weapon. Again, the blame for the hundreds of thousands of Japanese who died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki cannot be placed upon the scientists involved.

In my view, those who are to be held accountable are the ones who not only knowingly create and test weapons that will kill on a grand scale (most scientists will do this for their own country since they will obviously probably think that their country is morally correct), but who use their findings directly to harm people.

The best example that I can think of is Dr. Mengela, the Angel of Death who killed hundreds of the Jews and performed horrific experiments on them by his own hand, and directly decided who lived and died with indifference. That is the face of evil.

There are few cases of it though, in my opinion at least. One discovery leads to another, nuclear weapons made nuclear power. In fact most technologies initially developed to kill or incapacitate nations become mainstays in the everyday world.

So no, they are not to be held accountable unless under extreme circumstances.
Quote by madbasslover
Until_it_sleeps for the motherfucking win!!!