Ok so its getting cold right? I come in from the cold, pick up my bass of guitar depending on my mood, and find my fingers to numb to play well. How do you guys warmup to get up to the right speed and precision? Thanks
scales.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Well, warm your fingers up first. Then just play some songs you know, nothing extremely hard. Just a little something to get the blood moving.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
You mean to get my fingers warm? I sit on them or hold them in he oven until they sweat, then I put 'em in my pockets.

Otherwise I go crazy at first and it sounds really bad. That stretches me out and I'm good to go.
well, this is what i do for guitar.

i start with the start spangled banner, but one full octave up.
and then i go to scales, and kinda just play a pentatonic (preferably A or B minor) all the way up the neck.
and then i finish with some quick easy chord progressions, usually like - G Em C Dm7, F B C B
So the air's getting colder
and the news keeps us scared.

Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
when outside you make sure to use gloves, then you come in and wash your hand in warm water and then do your regular warmup rutine for say 30min? then take a short break, maybe grap a snack or something and then you'll be ready to play for real
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
cowboys from hell...play the riff a couple of times and then im warm
Quote by Alex The Red

If it doesn't have to do with tube amps or sex most of us don't really care..

Quote by Kutanmoogle

Looks like Lars Ulrich decided to become a hacker.

Quote by aaron6890
penises FTW

not in the gay way

<.<
>.>

I find the massages in John Petrucci's Rock Discipline to be very good for getting the blood flowing. Then I play chromatics and scales and simple songs/riffs for a while - until I feel that my fingers are warmed up.

Thank God it's finally warming up down here!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
i'll just start playing, if i cant play something, i'll practice for a few minutes, take a teeny break, then come back
I'm not strict with practicing and warming up. For gigs I warm up though.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

i'll just start playing, if i cant play something, i'll practice for a few minutes, take a teeny break, then come back
I'm not strict with practicing and warming up. For gigs I warm up though.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I alternate pick a pentatonic scale to get going, E minor most of the times. Then I'm all warmed up and ready to go.
My Setup:

Epiphone SG G-400
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez RX
Gardisten Aucustic
Line-6 Spider III head
Line-6 4x12 Cab
Zoom G1 Multi-effect(sucks big time!)
-I wear mittens.

Well, not really. I play as I would have when warmed up, the difference is within the first fifteen minutes everything sounds bad.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
Last edited by Der Bomber at Oct 12, 2007,
I soak my hands in warm water (making sure to keep the finger tips on my left hand out of it) for about 10 mins. Then I do some of the Petrucci massages. Then I do some of the Rock Discipline warmups, then some of my own warmups, then I do some muscle stretching, then I'm good to go
I play the major scale all the way up the neck from F to E no sharps though.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
I get the feeling that about 90% of the people that posted in this thread didn't understand that you actually meant WARMING UP.

I had the opposite of your problem this past summer. We held half a practice outside in about 96 degree (Farenheit) weather, and I sweat heavily, so my guitar was basically soaked by the time that we all had enough.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
I get the feeling that about 90% of the people that posted in this thread didn't understand that you actually meant WARMING UP.

I had the opposite of your problem this past summer. We held half a practice outside in about 96 degree (Farenheit) weather, and I sweat heavily, so my guitar was basically soaked by the time that we all had enough.

A good few people literally referred to their hands being warm and "getting the blood flowing," and you didn't exactly give an answer yourself.

I do some legato chromatic exercises like

-----------------------------------------1h3-2h4-
---------------------------------1h3-2h4---------
-------------------------1h3-2h4-----------------
-----------------1h3-2h4-------------------------
---------1h3-2h4---------------------------------
-1h3-2h4-----------------------------------------

-5p3-4p2-----------------------------------------
---------5p3-4p2---------------------------------
-----------------5p3-4p2-------------------------
-------------------------5p3-4p2-----------------
---------------------------------5p3-4p2---------
-----------------------------------------5p3-4p2-

That gets my blood flowing pretty well.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.