alright, I think my setup (in my sig) is pretty good (for me at least) right now. And I know I don't have a high-gain amp.

I can get great clean tones

but anyway, I'm trying to get some better overdrive tone out of the thing. Since I'm at home, I usually have to crank the preamp to 12 (all the way) and I keep the "Post" (It is the volume knob on the distorted channel of my amp) to either 2 or 3 -- I can't go louder because I live in an apartment.

now, honestly, I'm going to need a bit more powerful overdrive or distortion with decent tone. In a few months time I'm playing talent show at my school. One of the songs I'm planning to cover is canon rock. There are other songs, but this one is a good example, because I can use one tone to do it all.

I realize I can't get the same tone as Jerry C, and I don't care. I don't want his tone, just a tone that will work to cover the song.

If I crank the volume more with maxed out preamp volume, will that give me a better tone for that kind of music? It (obviously) sounds a lot better cranked.

although I can't crank it too much even then. My bassist is going to be playing with a 150Watt amp, and my other guitarist an 80-100 Watt SS Amp. Most of the other wannabe guitarists in other acts are prolly gonna be playing on crappy 15 Watt SS amps (they're not with me, but in comparison my amp can be deafening).

anyway, any ideas on how to spruce up my overdrive/distortion? I have the pedal(s) listed in my Sig as well as the amp.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Try getting an attenuator. I hear Weber makes some high-class ones.

That way you can experiment with different OD tones (crank that power amp!) at a reasonable volume.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
I know. I can use either or really.

although I'm outta cash. The crybaby and distortion pedal in my rig cost all the money I had left. So I can't buy any more gear for awhile.

anyway, as long as I can get good rock/hard rock tone (Overdrive should provide this well) I'm happy -- Except for canon and shred style stuff I need to be able to hit out pinch harmonics and get decent output.

I was more looking for EQing help rather than more gear. I've got a decent distortion/Tube Overdrive pedal with full EQing, as well as my amp (all tube). What I dont have is money to buy more stuff.

I'm still a newb, so I just randomly screw with the knobs with little/no idea how to get a good overall tone.

And what about volume? If I crank it louder, I should get more gain, and a better overall tone correct?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by Swat Man
wat i really want to see is a pic of your strat with a telecaster neck

sorry, I can't I've got no camera ...

its a great sounding guitar, but I can't get the action low. I may eventually swap out the neck for a better one. I used one I got for $15 harvested from the body of an "Abilene" telecaster copy. the body is good quality, and I think the pickups (some stock no-name) are actually pretty nice. I got the body off an old strat copy I found -- It had a nice, heavy, solid body, and great tone, but the neck was bad.

off topic, but any idea how much a decent neck with good fretwork (no buzz with low action) and possibly jumbo or extra jumbo frets?

back on topic:

I'll take a look at that thread, but the ultimate settings threads usually have settings my amp doesnt (presence, etc.)
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Hmm...off topic.. I wish I could see the guitar, I'd have a better idea how to go about it. The neck angle is what I suspect. You can shim one end of a bolt on neck and slightly change its angle relative to the body and change the overall action quite a bit, including getting rid of buzz while lowering action. If the nut slots are cut too deep as well, you have even more chance to buzz, and in extreme cases can't lower the action much at all due to fret buzz. You could also have no neck relief. It's hard to tell without looking at it close.

But the neck angle, nut slot depth and back bow all can affect things, and the strings also have to drop some behind the nut to keep downward pressure on them, plus the angle of the nut slots can cause buzzing if wrong. And since you're dealing with a mix and match guitar it all has to be taken into consideration and any or all can cause problems. Then the action and intonation come into play...

On topic...I play tube amps exclusively, I usually set Bass around 4-6, Mids around 7, Treble 5-7 depending on amp and room. That gives me the general range of tone I'm looking for, classic rock and blues...Clapton, Robin Trower, Jeff Healey, Joe Walsh, Gilmour, that type sound, and should give you a decent starting point, tweak from there. I go for as clean as I can get most of the time and let pedals handle overdrive and distortion. Then I fine tune the tone on the pedals to get what I want for a distortion sound. (Ibanez SD9 Sonic Distortion, Marshall Bluesbreaker overdrive) Then again if I'm just tinkering at home I crank the Fender Champ up to at least 5 and nothing but that and guitar, bass on 10, treble on 7 and it's great. Same settings on the SD9 pedal work fine there too if I want to go to the trouble of setting up the pedalboard...Usually I don't use anything but straight amp for practice.

I tried a Classic 30, could have gotten a great deal on it but the thing would not give me any bass no matter what I did, and it wasn't a match for my 4 ohm 2x12 cab, so I passed on it. The Champ gets a better sound for practice, the Classic 30 just got no bass so it was useless for gigging or practice. That may have been the speaker, I've played others at music stores that sounded better...but to get decent tone out of it you may have to lean on the bass and mids a bit, that depends on the amp.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...