I am spending a tiresome evening trying to get my Alesis USB interface to work correctly.

I want to use it ideally with Cubase, but I have tried it with several programs and it won't work perfectly with any of them.

(This is just with the guitar line input, I don't have an XLR lead yet for my mic)

With Cubase, it will record something, but if I record from the left channel it only goes to the left and vice versa. Can't I just have a mono recording from either channel?

Also, on Cubase it won't play back, I have tried configuring the settings but to no avail.

My most pressing problem is that with any software, everything I record is a whole tone higher in pitch when I listen back to it (IF I even can). I have never heard of something stupid like this happening before..

Please god, someone give me a hand.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
My most pressing problem is that with any software, everything I record is a whole tone higher in pitch when I listen back to it (IF I even can). I have never heard of something stupid like this happening before..

This is a sample rate problem. It's probably not quite a whole step higher but fairly close. It sounds like the difference between 48kHz (probably tour recording rate) and 44.1 kHz (the playback on your system).
Please tell me how to rectify it ?

EDIT : Fixed, but only in Audacity. Thank you it was boggling my mind. Can you tell me how in Cubase though, if possible. Also, how do you record in mono in Cubase ?
Last edited by fridge_raider at Oct 12, 2007,
Don't Use Cubase myself, haven't done much in it since '97 or '98, but I'm guessing the problem lies in the settings for the interface rather than the software. Check the Help file for 'Sample rate'.
I have, and when I go to change the sample rate, there is only one possible option and that is the 44.1 kHz one.