Well, I bought my guitar/amp one day less than a week ago today, and i've been noticing while im playing that at random times the sound coming out of my amp will get really low, and than it will randomly shoot back up to normal again... I'm wondering does this sound like a problem with the amp, or a problem with the possibly the guitar pick up/wiring, or something?
Last edited by kaossurge at Oct 11, 2007,
I should hope it's low, it's a bass!

It may be your cable, that's the most likely solution.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
I should hope it's low, it's a bass!

It may be your cable, that's the most likely solution.

erm.... its not my bass... it's my guitar...

And, I would doubt it's the cable, considering the cable is less than a week old as well, and it's a monster cable at that.
sometimes a loose guitar input, or an iffy cable can fade you in and out.

if you're convinced it's not the cable then check the inputs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
sometimes a loose guitar input, or an iffy cable can fade you in and out.

if you're convinced it's not the cable then check the inputs.

I'm not convinced about the cable, i'd just find it unlikely... Considering the purpose of me buying the high end cable was for it not to die out, but now it seems it could have possibly died in a week :O.

How do I check the inputs?

BTW, thanks for the description of "fading in and out" that's a better description than what I wrote, and a lot more accurate.
well, if the output on the guitar is loose it'll be obvious.

if u've ever wiggled it, it's possible it rotated a little and now the two wires connected to it are coming loose, and as u move around a little, u're losing ur connecting and fading out.

you can check that the input is tight.

and then if u're bored enough to check you can unscrew the tiny screws holding on the face plate that holds on the jack and make sure those two wires are still connected.

also, if you have another cable try it for kicks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Well, i dont want to open up anything... because im sure if it is loose, guitar center will give me **** for opening it... and I could possibly mess something up more :P. I'll check out another cable, and if it's still no go, I guess i'll have to bring the amp and guitar to GC for them to check it out?
yeah they wouldnt know if you opened it. but if you just bought it, so no dont anyway, because it's their responsibility to fix it. didnt realize it was Brand new.

take everything back with you. try all of it together for them at the store. guitar cable and amp.

dont leave there with a different guitar if u havent played it.

make sure you dont get one that's got fret buzz.

and tell them to give you a free cable or something for ur hassle.

EDit: also, i guess just to rule it out. make sure the outlet u're using isnt somehow causing a problem.

so plug urself in somewhere else at ur house.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you're going to have a guitar, you'll have to be prepared to open it up yourself at times. Just like you can't rely on the store to re-string it every time. As long as you use common sense (like, don't rip the input out of its cavity, don't open the guitar up holding it with one hand etc.) and act gently, you won't do anything wrong.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by jj1565
yeah they wouldnt know if you opened it. but if you just bought it, so no dont anyway, because it's their responsibility to fix it. didnt realize it was Brand new.

take everything back with you. try all of it together for them at the store. guitar cable and amp.

dont leave there with a different guitar if u havent played it.

make sure you dont get one that's got fret buzz.

and tell them to give you a free cable or something for ur hassle.

EDit: also, i guess just to rule it out. make sure the outlet u're using isnt somehow causing a problem.

so plug urself in somewhere else at ur house.

I'll really have to check that out, because I don't recall getting the problem in my garage, just in my room, but I haven't tried it in the garage again since the problem occured, so I would have to check that out...

If there is something wrong, they should give me an additional free guitar for me hassles :P... They already sold me a broken amp, and I had to drive 50 miles to the other GC to get a replacement.
that sucks. yeah, gc is always hit or miss. actually i hope it's the guitar, that's a lot easier than dealing with a homes electric system. good luck

if they give you a hard time, get to a computer quick.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

poor ground perhaps? i read that somewhere on here awhile back, which is why its happening in your room and not your garage
My friend's borrowing my other cable. ($6 from radioshack and working for 3 years still!) So tomorrow im going to test out the different cables, as well as the amp in different locations, and than probably going to also test out my friends guitar on my amp, so i'll keep you updated. Thanks!
k good luck, at least if you have to deal wt GC again, ull have a good idea what the problem could be.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ok, so it's not the cable or the guitar... I tested two cables, and two guitars to the same result... Now to check if its the amp itself or the electricity in the room.
Well, I've moved it back to the garage, and still haven't had it fade out... so im guessing it was the outlet in my room.... but you never know with them amps :P