Is it possible to get really good professional sound with a guitar plugged into your computer, with a really good sound card???

I've read that theres some things you can use such as recording thing and some free guitar software for effects,

I just am curious as my amp isn't that great, and I have a really really good computer

oh and it would be for metal and everything else
Well do you:
1. Have a budget or just want something free?
2. Do you have a good soundcard (for recording that is!)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well do you:
1. Have a budget or just want something free?
2. Do you have a good soundcard (for recording that is!)

well I don't really have a budget, but from what I saw, it looked like you could use the softwhere to just use your computer as an amp, not just to always record

and I have one of the best sound card's for a PC complete with Sub wover and speakers

just was compliplating between tube amp or computer soft where
its probably worth just buying a better amp
EVERYTHING I KNOW ABOUT BLOWING S**T UP I LEARNT FROM GRAND THEFT AUTO

Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Quote by hardcoredarrell

and I have one of the best sound card's for a PC complete with Sub wover and speakers

Actually you might not. Most soundcards, even good ones suck for "recording" (using instruemnts or similar is "classed" as recording.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well it means you wont have an amp outside of wherever your computer is situated. just get a good mic and mic an amp up
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Gabel
Actually you might not. Most soundcards, even good ones suck for "recording" (using instruemnts or similar is "classed" as recording.

I was quite serious about that though its one of the best made these days, I have a $3,200 custom built homeade PC lol, I shouldah bought a kick ass amp >:P

I wasn't quite looking for "Recording" just was wondering if I had a good computer if it would be worth getting amp effects to plug your guitar into your sound card, or just stick with getting a tube amp?
Just get a tube amp.
If you're recording it can be worth it to invest in some good software for playing straight into the computer with a POD or something, but if you just want to play, it's about feel as much as tone, and software amps have all the feel and response of a refrigerator.
Quote by Roc8995
Just get a tube amp.
If you're recording it can be worth it to invest in some good software for playing straight into the computer with a POD or something, but if you just want to play, it's about feel as much as tone, and software amps have all the feel and response of a refrigerator.

haha, just was curious to see if there was cheap way out but I'll be a man and get some money out haha
Try Amplitube 2 and Guitar Rig 2 demos - they'll amaze you. I have 5 amps and am using my Mac for most of my stuff lately. I own 2 tube amps too but the computer stuff can fool even the experts.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
Try Amplitube 2 and Guitar Rig 2 demos - they'll amaze you. I have 5 amps and am using my Mac for most of my stuff lately. I own 2 tube amps too but the computer stuff can fool even the experts.

this sounded pretty decent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-s5nisN9tM

I guess It's either

Peavey Valve King 112 or some sort of computer thing like that, the amplitube2 stuff seemed pretty good
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
if you're playing hard rock/metal, then don't go for the Peavy.

if you set it up it's fine I've palyed with it, sounds better with a metal muff, if you cant get the amp to sound good, you must not know how to set them up I assume

yeah its not a 6505 but its pretty good with Active pickups or passive for that matter

so I'll stick with tube amps over the computer gear, as it didn't really impress me that much
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Oct 12, 2007,
line 6 make something like that and it records ur sound but u have to buy it for like $100 and u need to use one or there variax guitars